What would the Carpenters have been doing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Just a little thought of mine, but I often wonder what "the Carpenters" as a group would have been doing today if Karen had been around...

I remember Richard saying himself they would have still been doing the odd tour or releasing an occasional album. This sounds to me as if he imagines they would have just 'kicked back' and slowed to a work schedule that would suit them. If you imagine, they would both now be in their 50s, I'd love to have a picture of them as they would both look now.. could you imagine the Carpenters in their 50s and still going strong!?

I also wonder whether they would still be releasing singles, charting and so on, or whether they'd just do the occasional 'for pleasure' projects, at a similar pace to people like Neil Sedaka and others of their era, who you don't necessarily hear of in the news, but who are still out there performing to their loyal fan base.

Interesting to hear your thoughts!

Stephen

My thoughts are they definitely would have slowed down. Put out the occasional album - maybe another Christmas one? And maybe play at small venues like the size of the Carpenter Performing Arts Center. Sure wish it could have happened - we can only imagine what they would have done with their careers.

Look at Barbra Streisand, Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow: They haven't had a single on the charts for years now, but their new albums are still selling very good, and Diamond and Manilow are touring again and again throughout the world to play before big crowds of fans. That's the way I think it would have been for Carpenters, too, if Karen would still be alive.

Bruno
beautiful music stays forever :)

You said it exactly Bruno - good music does stay forever. The Carpenters made some truly beautiful music - music that never goes out of style.

I do not remember who or when, but around 1989, a writer for Goldmine magazine referenced this question by saying that in the eighties, Karen would have gained recognition as a solo singer and after several years of success Karen and Richard would perform together by request. I always thought that was kinda a nice perspective. If anyone has that article, it is a good one to post.

Craig

I agree too...their era of "burning up the charts" like they did in the 70's was over. Their contemporaries still go out and tour to devoted audiences around the world, sometimes every year or two. They release new albums, never "best sellers" like the old days, and usually overlooked by the general public, but they're never obsessed with cracking the charts like they did 25-30 years ago.

Even though they're musically different, look at my write-up of the Doobie Brothers concert I went to last Sunday (in the Small Circle forum area). The venue was nearly packed, and while they did a few tracks from their newest CD (Sibling Rivalry), you know the fans were there mainly for the "good old songs", and the band didn't let any of us down. Even though it was only a 90 minute set, nobody was left wanting for more. The Doobies seem to tour every summer--it's become an institution. And from the energy level onstage, you can tell they were doing it for the enjoyment of themselves and the fans...not just going through the motions to sell tickets. :) I think it actually relieves pressure to be past your prime in terms of being a hit-making entity: you can just go out and enjoy a relaxed tour schedule and put out an album when YOU feel like doing one.

I always felt Karen should have done a Bossa Nova album.Karen and Richard could have teamed up with Antonio Carlos Jobim,or possibly the legendary arranger Claus Ogerman(He did Diana Krall's album,"The Look Of Love").

mr j.: for once I agree with you. I have always liked when the Carpenters stepped out of the pop realm. They were the first to find the popular appeal to soft sound and the first to venture into new areas before it was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom