🎄 Holidays! What's new in your holiday music stash for 2018?

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
So here we are, another December has landed, and some of us are gearing up for the season with some new holiday tunes.

What have you picked up this year that is new to your collection? Is it a reissue you've had your eye on? A new release from a new or favorite artist? Share your discoveries with us!

I have two in the ranks. One I picked up either late last year or early this year, but never played it. It's The Jack Jones Christmas Album, on Kapp Records. Fingers are crossed that this CD sounds acceptable--I picked up a different Jack Jones CD a year or two ago of the Wives and Lovers album and it had so much noise reduction applied that all of the life was sucked out of it. :sad:

My big find this year is the JD McPherson record Socks. It's a decidedly retro music kick based on 50s R&B and early rock 'n' roll, with a touch of rockabilly here and there. McPherson is bringing the musical goods with a lot of fire and energy, and the album of original tunes here is a treat to listen to after all the tired renditions of slaughtered classics infesting the stores and radio this time of year. Refreshing and fun! The vinyl is a funky green pressing, and plays surprisingly well. The LP is the package to get, as it comes with a 12x12 book inside the jacket containing art by the same cartoonist who adorned the cover of this. A nice package to go with the record--it's a keeper!

IMG_20181122_144316-01 (Custom).jpeg

I'm streaming a few other off-the-radar releases to see what else I might like, and I'll give the notable finds here.

This year most of my music purchases were downloads however one standout that got a lot of play here besides Herb's music volume 3 has been finishing up my set of the Network music ensemble ( which is named as the artist) It was production music made by Network production music in San Diego from 1979 up to almost the present ( the company is owned by killer tracks in L.A These days) they have one album called Christmas spirit which is not full of traditional Christmas carols but original compositions in 80s instrumental styles there are so many of these recordings still available but I limited my set to only those I remember fondly which was from the first 120 of them from the 79 up to the early 90s they were previously only available for radio tv and film producers but in 2011 they made these nice EP editions available to the public just the full length tracks no edits or underscores and here's a hint for Bob Ross joy of painting fans you can buy the theme from the show titled Interlude from the "Light Lounge" album you can't get these on CD but you can download them and these recordings are keepers

Lindsey Stirling "Warmer In The Winter" (special edition with 5 more bonus tracks from Target), The Monkees "Christmas Party" (with 2 bonus tracks from Target), Eric Clapton "Happy Xmas" & Canadian singer Serena Ryder "Christmas Kisses" all on CD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Socks is excellent! Didn’t we all feel like that as a kid? “I don’t want a bunch of crummy socks and underwear! I want toys!” :wink:

I would shake packages and if they were "soft," or had a sliding smooshy sound inside, I would figure "Clothes!" and move on to something that was heavy or had a nice rattle to it.

I just bought a blu-ray of the movie "Elf" and it came with a cool CD "soundtrack sampler" with five songs on it, including songs by Louis Prima and Les Brown & his Band of Renown. So I'll be spinning that.

Eartha's is the definitive version of it, if it's the 1953 version. I feel it's light on the double-entendre, but that was also 1953 when it was written. :wink: I like it, but I can see why it may not be a favorite.

Eartha's is the definitive version of it, if it's the 1953 version. I feel it's light on the double-entendre, but that was also 1953 when it was written. :wink: I like it, but I can see why it may not be a favorite.
She could make songs sound suggestive without trying. :uhhuh:

How to catch the Christmas Bug, lesson one.

Class dismissed!

Best new Xmas tune this year! We've played it a couple of times already today. :D "Christmas Time is (Coming 'Round Again)" by The Mavericks. I wonder if I should get another copy since I might wear this record out. :wink: Two covers, the other eight are originals. Great stuff! And "Santa Wants to Take You for a Ride" is a great tune to chase away the "Baby, It's Cold Outside" haters. :santawave:

61PgXVBpi7L._SS500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom