What's your favorite song from "Karen Carpenter" (1996)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because of the changing value of money and cost of inflation over decades, it's hard really to compare the cost of an album made by Queen in 1975 to that of The Happy Mondays in 1992. The "nearest" (chronologically-speaking) most expensive album mentioned so far is Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. That was a monumental double LP which was expensive to make ($1.5m) and included the kitchen sink as well as everything else. So for Karen's debut solo album to cost as much as a third of that...yeah, I'm not surprised she was angered when it was shelved and A&M told her the cost would be deducted from future royalties.

I sometimes wish that the upcoming panel discussion at the 50th Anniversary event could feature a whole section dedicated to the topic of Karen's album. There are so many contradictions and unresolved questions.

I know it's not popular to say (except maybe on here), but you get the jist that A&M wanted this to fail, wanted it out of the way so she could "come to her senses" and become part of a duo again. From a business sense, I get it somewhat but from a personal one the whole thing is first nail in Karen's coffin.

rom a business sense, I get it somewhat but from a personal one the whole thing is first nail in Karen's coffin.

Nails in the coffin is maybe a morbid turn of phrase but she definitely had some personal low points to add to the professional decline. These stem as far back as 1975:

1. Her failed relationship with Terry Ellis
2. Richard's admission to Meninger's
3. The aborted solo album
4. Her failed marriage

That's a lot of turmoil for one person to undergo in just six years, however strong they think they are.

Been here, done that before.

It's been pages since anyone posted about a favorite track, the supposed theme of this thread, which is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom