1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

What's your favorite song from "Karen Carpenter" (1996)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Jarred, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Honolulu City Lights

FL
    It was a Japan only release on 7" in 1989.
    I've always wanted to obtain it but it's pretty costly.
    It's nice to see Karen's name on this 45 rpm, almost like it's her single.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AnnaSock, GDB2LV and John Adam like this.
  2. John Adam

John Adam Well-Known Member

Thanks man! That's it, what I recall seeing. But darn, there is no time listings! And it's two Karen tracks, so it is a true KC solo single! Gotta have it. :)

GDB2LV likes this.
  3. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    John Adam likes this.
  4. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

Japan would have been my guess. There’s another picture on line of Karen’s picture imposed in front of NYC Skyscrapers as well, with If I Had You on the 45 sleeve. Cool.

John Adam likes this.
  5. John Adam

What a bargain Rick, can only imagine what the 7" goes for! But I want to know. lol
    I wonder if the other is a fan mock up of a fantasy sleeve for that single. I think I might of seen that too!
    Thanks guys!!!

6. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

It is, after further viewing.

7. John Adam

It's from Chris Tassin. What a sleeve that would be though! Perfection. :)

8. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    This Japan 45 rpm has to be taken from the 2 tracks on Lovelines because this record came out in 1989 and Karen's solo album wasn't released yet.

John Adam likes this.
  9. John Adam

True. But I wonder if there were any edits of either song exclusive to the 45? That would be coooool. :wink:

10. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    GDB2LV and John Adam like this.
  11. John Adam

12. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Right...I'm actually surprised that no one here has this Japan 7" and can give us the answers.

John Adam and GDB2LV like this.
  13. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

It is definitely something to search for. Thank for all the info.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool likes this.
  14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen, the Promo CD seems to be the most common. Even the North American cassette single is rather scarce.

John Adam likes this.
  15. I'm coming late to this threat, but I just wanted to register my vote for "If We Try." The first post beautifully expresses why its my favorite song on the album. I would only add that the horn parts at the closing of the song are funky good. It reminds me of something you'd hear on a Steely Dan record, which for me is the highest form of praise.

Mark-T, John Adam and AnnaSock like this.
  16. AnnaSock

AnnaSock Active Member

UK
    I think If We Try is a great song, too :)

17. John Adam

Could you imagine if that would of happened! I wonder how we'd be talking about "Karen Carpenter" now?

18. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Gary is right (although I can't find his quote above on this thread where is it? lol)
    I must have missed that post from Gary but sure enough it ran Dec 29, 1979 in Cashbox Magazine.
    I did not know that it was actually publicized about her solo album for March (A&M)
    It even says these are tentative release date but still this is huge news to me.
    Was it closer to release than we originally thought?

[​IMG]

19. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

Under Struggle for uptempo material Rick.

20. John Adam

Sorry Rick. He mentioned it in another thread today and I brought the quote here. :)

Rick-An Ordinary Fool likes this.
  21. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Another great "find" Rick. Your resourcefulness is amazing! It's a bittersweet moment to see Karen's solo album slated for release back in 1980.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    newvillefan likes this.
  22. newvillefan

newvillefan I Know My First Name Is Stephen

I too never knew this, great find by Rick! This would tie in with the fact that the album had already been assigned a catalogue number and the A&M team were being talked up for a smash album. It really brings home how close it came to being released, sleeve design, artwork and all. What a waste.

23. CarpentersToYou

CarpentersToYou What I feel has come and gone before...

It would be so meaningful to have it released as Karen approved it.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  24. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

And, let us not forget, back in the day--1979--
    there would have been a time lag between receiving information and then publishing that information.
    In other words, in order to get a "print edition" into publication and into circulation
    by the date of December 1979, many other wheels had to be already in motion.
    Had that initial playback been truly awful to Derek Green's ears, when he first heard the album,
    how could it be that the solo album was still being planned for a March release ?
    In other words, A&M records would not have allowed CashBox to go forward with printing,
    let alone circulating, this information--it would have been retracted before print date.

My two cents.

25. AnnaSock

AnnaSock Active Member

UK
    A very good point!

On a personal note, I get so confused about when these playbacks were, who for and what was decided when and by whom :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.