What's your favorite song from "Karen Carpenter" (1996)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a Japan only release on 7" in 1989.
I've always wanted to obtain it but it's pretty costly.
It's nice to see Karen's name on this 45 rpm, almost like it's her single.

R-13109644-1548212957-2118.jpeg.jpg

R-13109644-1548212966-9954.jpeg.jpg

R-13109644-1548212972-7804.jpeg.jpg

It was a Japan only release on 7" in 1989.
I've always wanted to obtain it but it's pretty costly.
It's nice to see Karen's name on this 45 rpm, almost like it's her single.

R-13109644-1548212957-2118.jpeg.jpg

R-13109644-1548212966-9954.jpeg.jpg

R-13109644-1548212972-7804.jpeg.jpg

Thanks man! That's it, what I recall seeing. But darn, there is no time listings! And it's two Karen tracks, so it is a true KC solo single! Gotta have it. :)

Japan would have been my guess. There’s another picture on line of Karen’s picture imposed in front of NYC Skyscrapers as well, with If I Had You on the 45 sleeve. Cool.

Interesting enough...the mini Japan CD Single is available now it's only $38.00 for 2 songs. :laugh:

CARPENTERS If I Had You JAPAN 8cm CD PCDY-10007 1989 xRental 4988013125339 | eBay

Japan would have been my guess. There’s another picture on line of Karen’s picture imposed in front of NYC Skyscrapers as well, with If I Had You on the 45 sleeve. Cool.

What a bargain Rick, can only imagine what the 7" goes for! But I want to know. lol
I wonder if the other is a fan mock up of a fantasy sleeve for that single. I think I might of seen that too!
Thanks guys!!!

I'm coming late to this threat, but I just wanted to register my vote for "If We Try." The first post beautifully expresses why its my favorite song on the album. I would only add that the horn parts at the closing of the song are funky good. It reminds me of something you'd hear on a Steely Dan record, which for me is the highest form of praise.

I'm coming late to this threat, but I just wanted to register my vote for "If We Try." The first post beautifully expresses why its my favorite song on the album. I would only add that the horn parts at the closing of the song are funky good. It reminds me of something you'd hear on a Steely Dan record, which for me is the highest form of praise.

I think If We Try is a great song, too :)

By the way, the December 29th, 1979 New Release Schedule in CashBox
has Karen Carpenter album scheduled for March 1980.

Could you imagine if that would of happened! I wonder how we'd be talking about "Karen Carpenter" now?

Gary is right (although I can't find his quote above on this thread where is it? lol)
I must have missed that post from Gary but sure enough it ran Dec 29, 1979 in Cashbox Magazine.
I did not know that it was actually publicized about her solo album for March (A&M)
It even says these are tentative release date but still this is huge news to me.
Was it closer to release than we originally thought?

fRSyMFT.png

Gary is right (although I can't find his quote above on this thread where is it? lol)
I must have missed that post from Gary but sure enough it ran Dec 29, 1979 in Cashbox Magazine.
I did not know that it was actually publicized about her solo album for March (A&M)
It even says these are tentative release date but still this is huge news to me.
Was it closer to release than we originally thought?

fRSyMFT.png

Another great "find" Rick. Your resourcefulness is amazing! It's a bittersweet moment to see Karen's solo album slated for release back in 1980.

Last edited:
Another great "find" Rick. Your resourcefulness is amazing! It's a bittersweet moment to see Karen's solo album slated for release back in 1980.

I too never knew this, great find by Rick! This would tie in with the fact that the album had already been assigned a catalogue number and the A&M team were being talked up for a smash album. It really brings home how close it came to being released, sleeve design, artwork and all. What a waste.

And, let us not forget, back in the day--1979--
there would have been a time lag between receiving information and then publishing that information.
In other words, in order to get a "print edition" into publication and into circulation
by the date of December 1979, many other wheels had to be already in motion.
Had that initial playback been truly awful to Derek Green's ears, when he first heard the album,
how could it be that the solo album was still being planned for a March release ?
In other words, A&M records would not have allowed CashBox to go forward with printing,
let alone circulating, this information--it would have been retracted before print date.

My two cents.

And, let us not forget, back in the day--1979--
there would have been a time lag between receiving information and then publishing that information.
In other words, in order to get a "print edition" into publication and into circulation
by the date of December 1979, many other wheels had to be already in motion.
Had that initial playback been truly awful to Derek Green's ears, when he first heard the album,
how could it be that the solo album was still being planned for a March release ?
In other words, A&M records would not have allowed CashBox to go forward with printing,
let alone circulating, this information--it would have been retracted before print date.

My two cents.

A very good point!

On a personal note, I get so confused about when these playbacks were, who for and what was decided when and by whom :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom