Wheels-The Hardy Boys (1970)

tomswift2002

Released 1970 by RCA/Dunwich

I was just listening to this LP this afternoon. It was the 2nd of 2 albums by The Hardy Boys.

The Hardy Boys were a fictional band based on the Hardy Boys books by Franklin W. Dixon. In 1969 Filmation acquired the rights to the books to produce a cartoon and a band. (Not to be confused with the later 1977-79 “Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries” And Shaun Cassidy who played and sang as Joe Hardy) Filmation figured that they might be able to create a second fictional band after their success with the Archies and their surprise hit “Sugar, Sugar”. The cartoon aired Saturday mornings on the ABC network from 1969-1971.

The Hardy Boys first album, “Here Come The Hardy Boys” was released in 1969 and contained the theme song to the cartoon, ‘Here Come The Hardy Boys’. It was released on LP/cassette/8 track/4 track reel-to-reel. In 2011 it was released on iTunes by Master Classics Records (there’s been no CD release or print-on-demand). There was also a 45 ‘Love and Let Love/Sink or Swim’.

“Wheels” was released in 1970 and according to the book ‘Animation By Filmation’ (Swanigan/McNeil, 1993) it’s two 45’s, ‘Love Train/Good, Good Lovin’ & ‘Wheels/Sha-La-La’ ( ‘Sha-La-La’ is not the same as the Manfred Mann Song) hit the American Bandstand pop charts. (Here’s a YouTube link ). The album was only released on LP (there’s been no digital release).

It’s a fun bubblegum-pop album. It’s to bad that the group didn’t have as much success as the Archie’s. But on “Wheels” some of my Favorite tracks are “Old Man Moses Front Porch Rhythm Band”, “Carnival Time”, “Long, Long Way To Nashville” And “I Hear The Grass Singin’”.

The song “Archie Bunker” I’m assuming is about the infamous TV character.

This is an interview with “Joe Hardy” of this group.

Got both Hardy Boys from Ronald Webb's website instead recorded on record on compact disc (2 albums on 1 CD) NOT on itunes. Liked "Wheels" way better than "Here Comes The Hardy Boys"!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I’ve had this LP spinning quite a bit lately. I find it’s a really great summer record, especially “Carnival Time”.

Here’s the cartoon episode that featured the music video to the title track to the “Wheels” LP. (Music video starts around 11minutes.)

Wayne Larnea of Sid & Marty Krofft's 1970 NBC show "The Bugaloos" I believe was the second African American British person to be on in live action instead of a cartoon.

I just realized on the covers for both albums Pete Jones is credit for drums, but when you watch the music video it is Chubby Morton playing drums while Pete is playing guitar.

It’s too bad these albums didn’t catch on back in the 60’s/70’s. These songs are very catchy, especially “Namby Pamby” from their first album and “I Hear The Grass Singin’” (which I will admit, for a group based on the detectives from a popular book series, sounds like a reference to weed).

Here’s another song from the series that was, apparently only released on the ultra-scarce* 8-track version of “Wheels” and has not been heard since the last broadcast in the 80’s of the show. It was apparently never released on any of the 16mm film releases.

*I say ultra-scarce since just about everywhere I look, “Wheels” only has an LP/digital release listed, even though in 1970 cassette and 8-tracks were being issued as well, but there are very, very few references to “Wheels” being on these formats.

Back
Top Bottom