When I fall in Love- Wouldn't A Duet be Great?

^^I don't see why not. It certainly has been done before (Natalie Cole/Nat King Cole, Celine Dion/Frank Sinatra, to name a few) I guess the question is: Would you know who :hide: let another male voice within a thousand miles of Karen's (posthumously or not)?

^^I don't see why not. It certainly has been done before (Natalie Cole/Nat King Cole, Celine Dion/Frank Sinatra, to name a few) I guess the question is: Would you know who :hide: let another male voice within a thousand miles of Karen's (posthumously or not)?
why is Richard continually criticized for not turning his life's work over to others to bastardize it?

^^ Well, I can think of a few reasons:

* It would sound terrific!
* It would have the potential to open "The Carpenters" music legacy up to a whole new fanbase.
* It would make RC some money. Money in this case would be a good thing, correct?

* It would make RC some money. Money in this case would be a good thing, correct?

With all due respect to Richard, I don’t think he needs the money. He’ll be doing the new album out of a love for his craft and a pride in their accomplishments. This album will only serve to embed the Carpenters’ legacy in the hearts of more people.

He is also more than capable of constructing a duets album himself, if he really wanted to do it. In his mind, it would probably be a case of why mess with perfection and more to the point, why trust anyone else with your life’s work?

I agree that it would sound terrific (she always does, and I think Michael is the new crooner voice of the generation)- and I think it could open new listeners up to them. It could even begin a new tribute album of sorts. I am also 100% behind Richard choosing to do what he wants with their music. He's done a great job of curating their legacy.

Michael Bublé covers When I Fall in Love on his new album. I always thought a duet with he and Karen would have been magical. Thoughts? And any attempts at splicing the two into one?

That would depend if the recordings made by Michael and Karen are in the same key. If not, splicing them together would sound awful. To do the job properly would entail re-recording entirely new backing tracks and transposing the song key up and down between the verses and choruses each time one or the other vocalist comes in. It would involve a tremendous amount of re-working to bend the songs around different keys.

An interesting - and related - anecdote about song keys recently surfaced in articles about the new movie Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again. Some writers claimed that the lyrics to the song When I Kissed The Teacher had been altered so that the lead actress could sing the song to her female teacher rather than a male teacher, to make it less offensive about relationships between male teachers and female students and more politically correct (don’t even get me started...). It transpires this couldn’t be further from the truth and was all because of the key the track was in. As Bjorn Ulvaeus explained, they decided to take the obvious route rather than ruin the original ABBA song:

The teacher was made female so she could sing a response [in the verse] without needing a “horrible” key change. She had to be a woman. Simple as that”.

Mamma Mia! changes lyrics of beloved ABBA songs to make them more PC

Last edited:
I thought it was a great idea from Mark-T. I have even commented on previous threads how great it would have been to have Karen do a duet with a strong male lead while she was still alive. Would've been great for the solo album to do a genuine duet. Kenny Rogers, Barry Gibb, Tom Petty, Paul McCartney, etc. The possibilities were endless...you don't think there wouldn't be male singers chomping at the bit to do a duet with Karen Carpenter?!! Barbra, Stevie Nicks, Dolly Parton, etc - Duets reinvigorated and added new interest in their careers. Especially post-1976, It might have been a good business move for the duo as their popularity was seriously waning. Ok, I get. It wasn't a good move for "The Carpenters"; Karen wasn't suited to sing with anyone else...

The duet between Kenny and Dolly is a perfect example of a song that incorporates different keys. After the first chorus, there’s a drastic key change from Kenny’s to Dolly’s key but you don’t notice it because they worked it out in the studio together with the musicians and got it spot on. They key is in your post above...while she was still alive. Much harder when one artist is gone and all you’re left with is the recording. I agree though, I’d give my right arm to hear what Barry Gibb would have done with Karen in a duet or as her producer. That was the single biggest mistake they made when it came to her solo album: they should have asked Barry.

They already did two:

The remaining three Beatles added their parts to two songs in the 90s.

Free As A Bird
Real Love

For the record though, I'd rather not have any Karen duets.

They already did two:

Free As A Bird
Real Love

For the record though, I'd rather not have any Karen duets.
I remember that and I think they pulled it off well that's the closest we would ever get to a Beatles reunion

They already did two:

Free As A Bird
Real Love

There was a third John Lennon track, Now And Then, that was slated for inclusion on the third Anthology CD, but George Harrison changed his mind about the track midway through sessions for the track and it was decided not to include it on that album.

Do we consider......
Coming Through the Rye,
Karen and John Denver, late 1976,
a duet ? I like this one.

The duet between Kenny and Dolly is a perfect example of a song that incorporates different keys. After the first chorus, there’s a drastic key change from Kenny’s to Dolly’s key but you don’t notice it because they worked it out in the studio together with the musicians and got it spot on. They key is in your post above...while she was still alive. Much harder when one artist is gone and all you’re left with is the recording. I agree though, I’d give my right arm to hear what Barry Gibb would have done with Karen in a duet or as her producer. That was the single biggest mistake they made when it came to her solo album: they should have asked Barry.
...oh, yes! They should have asked Barry. In my mind-sublime.

Vocally Karen outshines Barbra, so just hearing the "lilt" of her warm vocals in Barry's productions would have been wonderful.

Oh please. Apples and oranges. Both are arguably the best female vocalists.
I'm not saying Barbra's not a good singer. But I find her to be a bit too dramatic in her interpretations, and I think it makes her far below Karen. Apples and oranges? Maybe. It's not personal, CloseToYou.

Back
Top Bottom