When I fall in Love- Wouldn't A Duet be Great?

I'm not saying Barbra's not a good singer. But I find her to be a bit too dramatic in her interpretations, and I think it makes her far below Karen.

It’s just a case of different backgrounds. Barbra has done stage and screen as well as music, so her vocal style tends to be an infusion of all three. Karen only ever got the chance to be a recording artist.

Absolutely true! I'm not a big fan of musicals and stage, so you can imagine why she's rank below Karen in my book. Other opinions will vary- and I respect them even if I disagree.

[SNIP]

For the record though, I'd rather not have any Karen duets.

As much as I jones for anything new, I have to agree. It would have been amazing if Karen had done a duet or three, when she was alive, and (in my opinion) still under Richards' tutelage. I also happen to think that a duet with a big name, popular voice was a missed opportunity for her solo endeavor (more commercial viability).

As much as I jones for anything new, I have to agree. It would have been amazing if Karen had done a duet or three, when she was alive, and (in my opinion) still under Richards' tutelage. I also happen to think that a duet with a big name, popular voice was a missed opportunity for her solo endeavor (more commercial viability).

if the solo album was intended to establish KAREN CARPENTER, she likely would not have wanted a duet. peter cetera's involvement isn't a duet, it's a famous guy singing background on a song he wrote.

if the solo album was intended to establish KAREN CARPENTER, she likely would not have wanted a duet. peter cetera's involvement isn't a duet, it's a famous guy singing background on a song he wrote.

With respect, I don't think a duet would have negatively affected her desire to be viewed outside her relationship with Richard and the Carpenters; after all, she had done, as we've discussed, NO duets while a part of the Carpenters (not counting TV show appearances and such). So a duet, especially without Richard's involvement, would have been far outside the norm for her. But maybe Karen did feel that way, who knows.

Had Karen done a duet while with Richard, a Holiday song on their Christmas album seems to make great sense; it doesn't tread on Carpenters original material and would have been produced by Richard - best of all worlds.

Randy Schmidt's book mentions Karen and Olivia Newton-John discussed doing a duet. If only that would have happened! :)

It also mentioned Karen guest drumming on Olivia’s Physical tour in the autumn of 1982. Imagine if we’d seen that happen? The Wikipedia link about that tour mentions Karen:

Olivia's personal friend, Karen Carpenter, attended various tour shows, and considered the possibility of drumming during a few concerts, but dropped [out] because of her deteriorating health”.

Physical Tour - Wikipedia

My dream duet for Karen Carpenter would be if the song "Dancing the Old Fashioned Way," which she sang with John Davidson on the "Space Encounters" special, was re-done with Michael Buble or Harry Connick singing the lead. Since that song was done in studio, surely it could be arranged into a duet with a great voice of today joining in with Karen's lead.

My dream duet for Karen Carpenter would be if the song "Dancing the Old Fashioned Way," which she sang with John Davidson on the "Space Encounters" special, was re-done with Michael Buble or Harry Connick singing the lead. Since that song was done in studio, surely it could be arranged into a duet with a great voice of today joining in with Karen's lead.

I doubt Richard would ever allow that.

Michael Bublé covers When I Fall in Love on his new album. I always thought a duet with he and Karen would have been magical. Thoughts? And any attempts at splicing the two into one?

A duet might be interesting. Maybe if Richard produced and supervised the event.

Back
Top Bottom