When was TJB's first TV appearance?

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
... and on what show? I've seen a lot of clips on Youtube and such but I've never seen a notation on whether it was their first appearance or not.

A guy on Facebook was asking and it sorta roused my curiosity.

... and on what show? I've seen a lot of clips on Youtube and such but I've never seen a notation on whether it was their first appearance or not.

A guy on Facebook was asking and it sorta roused my curiosity.

I think it was probably The Ed Sullivan Show in 1965, but I'm not sure.

Dan

I suppose one could make the case that FANFARE (a summer-replacement music series on CBS) would be the first national appearance of the Brass, particularly in prime time. THE MIKE DOUGLAS SHOW was probably almost as big nationally, but it was a syndicated daytime show run by Westinghouse Broadcasting, first from Cleveland, later from Philadelphia.

I think my first exposure to them on TV was on the Grammy show the following year - but possibly that ED SULLIVAN SHOW.

My earliest definite memory of TJB on TV was their first special, April '67, in glorious black & white!

My earliest definite memory of TJB on TV was their first special, April '67, in glorious black and white. We had a color set in time to see the '68 special.

Does Herb own the rights to any of these appearances/specials so they could be released by HAP? I'm obviously too young to have ever seen any of them. :sad:

I believe he owns his own specials, but probably not shows like ED SULLIVAN.

Here's a bit of a different promo for Herb's first television special. It's at the tail end of a long promo for the "new" series, HAWAII FIVE-O. At around 5:45, the announcer, Art Gilmore, tells viewers that the upcoming season will have the "look of something special" on CBS, as we catch glimpses of Herb & The TjB.

Back
Top Bottom