🎄 Holidays! Which Carpenters Christmas Classic Do You Feel Best Features Karen's Lead Vocal?

Which Carpenters Christmas Classic Do You Feel Best Features Karen's Lead Vocal?

• "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)"

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • "(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays"

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • "Merry Christmas, Darling"

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
As we are entering the holiday season, I asked myself which Carpenters Christmas song was perhaps Karen's best in terms of vocal performance? Of course it was hard to pick just one, so I thought it would be fun to kick things off here with that very question...

*Note: I limited the list to the songs that generally receive the most amount of airplay.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas does it for me!!! I am like...Judy who? After hearing Karen's version....

If Herb Alpert hadn't done what I thought was my favorite rendition of "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)", I may have voted for it... Corny stuff like "(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays", I was never a fan of... "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town", despite her sincere reading (versus versions of it by Bruce Springsteen and by The Ronnettes) I think suffers from it being a bit over-played, as does "I'll Be Home For Christmas", which to me resounds of "I'll Be Home", the Randy Newman song, covered by Barbra Streisand and Vikki Carr (and I'm sure countless others--Heck, it's one Karen should have considered covering!) That leaves (Yawn!) "Merry Christmas, Darling"--Sorry, but No Thanks! Too wearing on my ears if it might be what defines "Carpenters & Christmas" to some of us here...

It's "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" for me, then... Though I might admit, a runner-up to "Diana Krall", if I do make her version of "Christmas Time Is Here", my all-time favorite favorite Carol...

-- Dave

I can't say there are any songs on that list that I don't like but it's sure hard to pick one favorite! I tend to think of the Carpenters Christmas albums as "albums" to be played seequentially rather than just individual tracks, so maybe that's why.

I would probably vote for "Merry Christmas Darling" if not for the fact it's been played to death over the years. It's not a "go-to" track anymore for me, although I still enjoy it. I'm surprised "Ave Maria" isn't on the list. I also love "Christmas Waltz" -- it's very cool the way she comes in on that song. You almost forget you're listening to a Carpenters album, it's such a long wait to hear Karen on that album.

I'm surprised "Ave Maria" isn't on the list. I also love "Christmas Waltz" -- it's very cool the way she comes in on that song.

I struggled not putting either of these on the list simply because I was going for more of the mainstream airplay stuff...although "Waltz" is definitely one I hear from time-to-time. "Ave Maria" is one of my faves actually...

The original version of Merry Christmas, Darling. I'm also blown away when Karen jumps in on "Do you hear what I hear" (So glad Richard released it)

On that list, my favorite has always been "Merry Christmas, Darling" (can't make up my mind which version).

But personally, I love the way she sounds in "He Came Here For Me", "Little Altar Boy", and "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" (in that exact order). Her vocals on those songs are just plain phenominal, if not her finest performance.

Danny

I think if this poll has "traditional Christmas songs, sung by Karen", then where's Sleigh Ride"?

But, although it characterizes 'Christmas & Carpenters' in a pretty meaningful way, it's unfortunately weighed down by the (sometimes dreaded, "not so") OK Chorale...! Still I think there are a few omissions (whether frequently played, as in "radio broadcast", or not) which need to be added to this list...

-- Dave

I am a vocalist and teach singing. I always big up KC to my students for her incredible breath control and general genius. Just try singing "hang your shining star above the highest bough" in one breath ...

I'll take the rich, low register on "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town". The contrast with the brilliant trumpets is amazing. That arrangement knocked me out in the '70s and still does it to this day. …And don't give me that syrupy remix. It's the original mix for me, all the way!

Harry

I think if this poll has "traditional Christmas songs, sung by Karen", then where's Sleigh Ride"?

But, although it characterizes 'Christmas & Carpenters' in a pretty meaningful way, it's unfortunately weighed down by the (sometimes dreaded, "not so") OK Chorale...! Still I think there are a few omissions (whether frequently played, as in "radio broadcast", or not) which need to be added to this list...

-- Dave

Well actually, I'm going to be posting another "Official Review" thread on both of the Christmas albums in their entirety this weekend which will open it up to every Christmas song in terms of voting. I intentionally limited the list to just a handful with this thread to add the fun tension of having pick just one out of a handful :wink:

I'll take the rich, low register on "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town". The contrast with the brilliant trumpets is amazing. That arrangement knocked me out in the '70s and still does it to this day. …And don't give me that syrupy remix. It's the original mix for me, all the way!

Harry

If it's the single version, then yes, that gets my vote. I also keep thinking of the uptempo version from the first Xmas album (and remember being disappointed that they recorded a different version of it). Since Chris is limiting this poll to the more popular versions that get airplay, then it's definitely our favorite version. :agree:

When I first heard Karen singing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" I was just amazed by her vocal range, I had never heard her sing like this before. Karen's voice had matured to a new level, and I still get goosebumps when I listen to it, it really does have the chill factor.

For me, the songs that were recorded for the Christmas sessions showcase Karen's voice at it's best, and I'm not a great lover of Christmas songs, but I always play Carpenters Christmas music leading up to the festive season.

My favorite "Little Altar Boy" is not listed so I chose my second favorite "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Karen's vocal on "LAB" is one of her finest.

^^I agree on Little Altar Boy. I'm not really religeous but every time I hear Karen sing this I end up crying all the time. WHY this one wasn't chosen for CP is beyond me. They probably felt it was a little dark amongst all the happy stuff.

All these songs showcase KC and let her talents shine. But when I think of KC, I think longing, yearning, wishing... And if u have ever been alone on Christmas, or longed to be with those you can longer be with, KC's reading of I'll Be Home For Christmas will bring a lump to your throat and a tear to your eye every single time.

^^I agree on Little Altar Boy. I'm not really religeous but every time I hear Karen sing this I end up crying all the time. WHY this one wasn't chosen for CP is beyond me. They probably felt it was a little dark amongst all the happy stuff.

Well, "Little Altar Boy" is not exactly a Christmas-y type of song.

Danny

Well, speaking of reviews, here's my Carpenters Christmas album reviews:

For Christmas Portrait, go here.

For Old Fashioned Christmas, go here.

The comparison between "Goodbye to Love" and "Little Altar Boy" is, I think, right on. The latter song always has reminded me of the best, more emotionally resonant material from their earlier albums (also including "Superstar," "Rainy Days", "A Song for You", etc.) -- they seemed to be a bit braver in their song selection early on, lost that courage from "A Kind of Hush" forward, and "Little Altar Boy" would have been a welcome return to form.

I've never really viewed "Portrait" as a Karen solo project. So much Tom Bahler chorale, so many instrumentals -- and the fact that the first voice you hear is Richard reminds me of the rationale given for him being introduced first in the Ken & Mitzi stage show. Just saying I don't "feel" Richard's presence any less on "Portrait" than I do on any other Carpenters project. Not necessarily a criticism.

"...the fact that the first voice you hear is Richard reminds me of the rationale given for him being introduced first in the Ken & Mitzi stage show." - Great point!

I'll Be Home for Christmas - the yearning of this vocal performance in particular is so haunting and it really opens up the melancholy of the lyrics. She truly put her heart into this Christmas song on a deeper level than the others (1970 MCD aside). It sounds like she's one the verge of breaking into tears.

And just listen to the bottomless depths her voice goes to when she sings "you can count on meeeeeeeeee..." it just goes lower and lower. Wowza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom