Which CDs do you listen to these days? [Now Spinning 2009]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was outdoors most of the day w/o the Zune, so I didn't get to do much listening until tonight. Right now, it's "Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley" with the Marty Paich Dektette, and it's swingin' its arse off. :D

Earlier this evening, I was editing some files, and rearranging the tracks on a box set. (I divided up some of the songs on the 10 CD "Roulette Maynard Ferguson" box into the individual albums, so I could put some on the Zune.) So in Maynard land, I've listened to "Si! Si! M.F." and "Newport Suite".

Going to listen to some Randy Crawford while I read a bit before hitting the sack...

Lined up for the CD player right now is:

Henry Mancini -- The Latin Sound of Henry Mancini

Booker T. and the M.G.'s -- Soul Limbo

Astrud Gilberto -- I Haven't Got Anything better To Do

Mike

Rudy said:
I was "gettin' down with my BAD self today, playing the following:

The Time: Pandemonium, and their self-titled debut.

Dang....Pandemonium was one of the first cds I ever bought...lost it awhile back too. Pretty funky if I recall correctly..

These days I have been listening to:

Tears For Fears - "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending"
Dan Fogelberg - "Nether Lands"
Mark Eric - "A Midsummers Day Dream"
The Monkees - "Headquarters"

NJB

Rudy said:
Right now, it's "Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley" with the Marty Paich Dektette :D .

As you may know, David Paich (son of Marty Paich) was one of the founding members of the band Toto. I've often wondered, though, how their last name is pronounced. Somebody pronounced it "Pike" and I corrected them. "No, it's 'Pay-ch'." Looking for an argument settlement here...

Concerning this thread, "What's spinning now (2009)":

Last month, I bought the new album, MOVING FORWARD by Bernie Williams. Yes, that's right. The New York Yankees Hall-of-Famer with 247 home runs to his career, winner of several Golden Glove Awards, etc., ... Well, you get the idea. Now that he's retired from baseball, he's gone full-time and full speed ahead with his other love - music. A classically-trained guitarist, Bernie has just released his second album consisting of styles ranging between jazz, blues, pop as well as others. Works for me.

Right now, I am exploring the tracks of my newly-acquired copy of the 2008 album SPARKS OF ANCIENT LIGHT by Al Stewart.

Recent iPod listens have also included the following:

Bill Champlin: THROUGH IT ALL
Kenny Chesney: LUCKY OLD SUN
Various artists: LOVE AFFAIR / THE MUSIC OF IVAN LINS
Brenda Russell: PARIS RAIN
Freddy Cole: RIO DE JANEIRO BLUE
Dan Fogelberg: HOME FREE and SOUVENIRS
Bernie Williams: THE JOURNEY WITHIN
Billy Joel: TURNSTILES

and

HERB ALPERT/HUGH MASEKELA

All these lists... Whew!
Tony

Rudy said:
Mike: do you have Cheryl Lynn's self-titled first album? It has "Got To Be Real" and "Star Love" on it.

I remember that album but never owned it. We gave it quite a bit of "in-store play" back in the day. I still hear "Got to be Real" on the XM occasionally.

Speaking of the Pet Shop Boys - I tend to like some of their music but have to be in the right mood for them. I haven't heard any of their recent stuff -- the remix album with the multi-colored cover is the newest one I have. I made myself a compilation which I titled "Pet Shop Boys, seriously" after the style of their early album titles. It's a kiiller comp if I do say so myself -- played it just the other day, in fact.

Currently in the machine: Pisano & Ruff's UNDER THE BLANKET. It's a good late-summer listen.

1. Child is the Father to the Man - Blood, Sweat & Tears
2. Straight Up - Badfinger
3. Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell
4. The Higher They Climb, the Harder They Fall - David Cassidy
5. Music & Me - Michael Jackson

toeknee4bz said:
As you may know, David Paich (son of Marty Paich) was one of the founding members of the band Toto. I've often wondered, though, how their last name is pronounced. Somebody pronounced it "Pike" and I corrected them. "No, it's 'Pay-ch'." Looking for an argument settlement here...

It is pronounced "Paysh". At least that's the way Glen Campbell pronounced it on his old GOODTIME HOUR television show.

Harry

"Paysh," that's good to know. I always thought it was "Paych" so it's nice to have it correct. (Not that the name comes up often in conversation!)

toeknee4bz said:
Rudy said:
Right now, it's "Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley" with the Marty Paich Dektette :D .

I think on a live recording from several years ago with Torme and a Dektette reunion (on Concord), it was pronounced "Paysh". (Could have been an MC's introduction, or Torme's own introduction.) I've heard it that way elsewhere as well.

Weren't Marty Paich and the Porcaros' father performing in jazz combos together? IIRC, they had a tight musical past, which may be what made the members of Toto gravitate toward each other.

FWIW, I've been spinning a few things this summer, mainly on the Zune...so much so, that I've been awarded a few Power Listener badges due to my repetitive habits. :D

Bossa Rio: Sergio Mendes Presents (mainly, the four Brazilian tracks)

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays: As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls

The Time: Pandemonium

Gino Vannelli: Crazy Life, and A Good Thing (talk about career bookends!)

Pat Metheny: Secret Story (desert island pick for me)

Al Stewart: Time Passages, and Year Of The Cat

Suba: Sao Paulo Confessions

Bebel Gilberto: all of her albums :love:

The easy way to see my current favorites is to see what's on my smaller 8GB Zune, as that's my "go everywhere" player, especially on the longer bike rides I take, where I'll go through four or five albums. I swap music on/off this one regularly. My 120GB Zune is my "has everything" player, which I use mainly around the house.

Today I'm giving these CDs a spin:

Cal Tjader – Solar Heat

Frank Sinatra – Nice 'n' Easy

Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band – As Time Goes By (CD-R made from the vinyl LP)

Mike

In the rack for today:

1) Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

2) Joe Cocker - Heart & Soul

3) Peter Nero - Xochimilco (RCA Victor Records, Dynagroove, Mono, Released 1967) Transferred from vinyl to CD-R by me.

Regards,
Mike

Mike, I read you had been listening to Henry Mancini earlier this year and it brought to mind my favorite tune of his, "Lujon." The first time I had heard the tune was in the soundtrack of "The Big Lebowski" that starred Jeff Bridges. Another favorite one of Henry's is the NBC "Mystery Movie Theme."

I've been listening to Swing Out Sister's "Where Our Love Grows" in my pickup here lately. Just love Corrine Drewery's voice, very distinctive and unmistakable like Karen C's.

The original version of "Lujon" was on the Mr. Lucky Goes Latin album...one of my favorites. It also appeared in a redone version on the 70s album Symphonic Soul. And as I'm sure you know, Brasil '66 gave it their treatment...as "Slow Hot Wind", as did Sarah Vaughan (IIRC).

Lately, I've been making my own CDs off of iTunes...I'll hear a snippet of a song from a movie(always use close-captioning to get titles) and then download the song. My latest has about half-a-dozen tunes I've heard recently:
COOL EYES--Stan Kenton (from playing around with an Apple computer at the local Best Buy)

BIG YELLOW TAXI--Counting Crows with Vanessa Carlton(from TWO WEEKS NOTICE)

BRUISES--Chairlift(from the TV commercial and channel surfing, just happening to catch them on Letterman, first time I heard the whole song...loved it...)

LOVE YOU--Free Design(from one of my favorite movies, STRANGER THAN FICTION...it closes out the credits. Love the accapella...

LA PETITE FILLE DE LA MER--Vangelis(also from STRANGER THAN FICTION)

The music covers a timespan from 1952(Kenton) to 2008(Chairlift). I'd like to think each song is a classic...BIG YELLOW TAXI is obviously a cover, but it's a good one, surpassing the original Joni Mitchell, IMO.

Dan

Lately I've been listening to:

Herb & Lani - Anything Goes

Hugh Masekela - Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz

Weather Report - Sweetnighter

Jimmy Cleveland - And His All Stars 1956

Mike Stern - Who Let The Cats Out?

Capt. Bacardi

These are the CDs and LPs withing striking distance of a suitable player:

Tamba Trio -- Tamba Tamba Tamba
The Turtles -- Shell Shocked
Beethoven -- 3rd Symphony (played on period instruments!!)
Gary Burton -- Tennessee Firebird
The Mothers Of Invention -- Freak Out

Mancini -- Experiment In Terror
Mancini -- Wait Until Dark
Wayne Shorter -- Speak No Evil
Sammy Davis Jr -- As Long as She Needs Me
20 Minute Loop -- Yawn + House = Explosion

Paul McCartney -- Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
Mates Of State -- Team Boo
Inara George & Van Dyke Parks -- An Invitation
Berlioz -- Symphonie Fantastique
Jimmy Durante -- Way Of Life

For the Sinatra Fans here, this is what I recently bought and am listening to.

Classic Sinatra II

41xvdSRDCXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is a great follow up to the original "Classic Sinatra" CD.

And, why did I get Classic ll? Because it has the song "High Hopes" on it. I've been trying to get a Sinatra CD with this song on it for a long time, and now I've got it.

You can see the complete track listing here:
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sinat...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251152210&sr=1-2

The more I play this album, the more I like.

All the best,
Mike

In addition to Herb & Lani's ANTHING GOES, I've been spinning the newest album from Swing Out Sister called A BEAUTIFUL MESS. It's one I hadn't gotten when it first came out within the past year, but I saw a copy in a brick & mortar store and bought it on an impulse.

The album has more of a live club feel to it rather than a big production studio album, but as always, Andy and Corinne can be relied upon for a feel-good album.

Harry

ANYTHING GOES - Herb Alpert and Lani Hall
PHOLA - Hugh Masekela
MIDDLE MAN - Boz Scaggs
VIVALDI/FOUR SEASONS - Joshua Bell
THE BEST OF CHUCK MANGIONE - Chuck Mangione (mainly 1980s stuff, several tracks of which I very much like)

1. Cheap Trick - The Latest

2. Boston - Boston

3. Charlotte Church - Enchantment

4. Incubus - Fungus Amongus

5. Petula Clark - The Ultimate Petula Clark

Mike Blakesley said:
I guess this topic didn't really ask for NEW stuff specifically, so in the vehicle lately (where I do most of my music listening) I've recently heard:

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - FOOL ON THE HILL

Santana's CARAVANSERAI and BORBOLETTA and SANTANA III (got on a Santana kick earlier this week)

And currently playing a compilation of recent Rick Springfield material which I titled "IT IS WHAT IT IS." Don't laugh, his newer stuff is really good. He found his rock'n'roll roots.

Interesting to find on a site that is soposed to be dedicated to A & M Records that a member is into my favourite band - Santana

Duckeggs - the SITE is dedicated to A&M, but I think you would find that most of the members listen to a wide variety of artists. As for Santana, the albums from their Columbia debut up through AMIGOS and FESTIVAL are my favorites; the rest ehhhh, I can take or leave. He got too poppy. I guess I like my Santana albums to have a lot of instrumentals, not concentrate so much on the vocals. The more recent guest-artist superstar albums are totally forgttable IMHO.

I'm currently spinning the newest release (THE LATEST) by Cheap Trick. It's still the same original 4 guys and they are still rockin' the house!

Since last week, the Beatles 2009 remasters (both stereo and mono). So far, they sound much improved over the '87 CDs!

Rudy -- How'd you get your hands on these before 09SEP?

(I'm part of the slacker Second-Issue Mono Group...no soap till 15OCT!)

Glad you like the sound. I understand the packaging is excellent, as well. I have the Dr. Ebbetts mono LP transcriptions [Rubber Soul - White Album] and am anxiously awaiting these EMI upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom