• 1976-80 - undernourished, confused, gave it all

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 1980-83 - short haired songstress, stretching into solo work

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

1. 1969 - The awkward kid on the cover of the Offering album still getting her feet wet in the music industry alongside her big bro.

2. 1970-74 - The more refined songstress who looked and sounded like an angel on earth. Bangs perfectly trimmed, immaculately dressed in her Sunday's best for each performance, healthy and content.

3. 1975 - The "veteran" of 70's pop who was beginning to show signs of burnout - too thin, more drawn, yet smiling on the outside nonetheless.

4. 1976-1980 - The woman who gave her all and wasn't getting enough love in return from the music industry and general public. Sadly undernourished, showing signs of aging at such a young age, confused, and longing for a partner.

5. 1980-1983 - The newly short haired songstress who was making a new start for herself by taking a stab at new solo album, a new Carpenters album, and a move to NYC to try to get her life back.

As a relatively new fan who wasn't around during the C's heyday, my favourite Karen "era" would have to be #2 - I can't even tell you how much I want to get up and kiss my TV screen each time I pop in my 'Interpretations' DVD and watch the "Bless The Beasts And Children" video clip. That voice and image just melt my heart every time.

I would go with number 2 as well, though I have a fondness for the earlier 'raw' sound that I hear on the first album and the pre-A&M releases.

Harry
...think this could be a poll, and might add it to the thread, online...

Although I don't agree with your definition of each era, example...by 1980 she was a refined songstress in the 70's as much as the 80's, just that by the 1980's the material had changed & her voice was much more refined & she had more control in her voice. There were also times between 1976-1980 where she looked neither undernourished nor unhappy.

But I think I understand what your trying to obtain here.

There is always something special about the very begining when it all started but I have always enjoyed the later Karen from 1978 until 1983. Voice of the Heart & her Solo album remains to me her finest albums. Karen's wedding photo in 1980 (the one of her looking at herself in the mirror holding flowers) has to be one of the most gorgeous photos of her.

I voted for '75 era!!! NOBODY IN WHOLE WORLD COULD SOUN BETTER THAN THAT!!! EVER!!!

Her better period as a singer. Should had recieved a Grammy for Horizon!
It's a shame, they didn't recognized that!!!

Her voice was lovely, still strong and powerfull!!! Her voice never sounded more intimate and deep, still with a great control and wisdom!!! She never got so many skills as she got here!!!

My favorite song ever is from that era: Only Yesterday!!! Plus her lower registers ever, I guess, like the last note of Solitaire!!!

Karen, I love you!!! You'll always be the best!!! :D

I voted for #4 (1976-1980). In this period, Karen recorded my all-time favourite song, I Need To Be In Love, as well as some other fantastic performances - You, One More Time, Two Sides, Don't Cry For Me Agentina, Look To Your Dreams, and more. This period also saw the release of CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT, which, in my opinion, is a masterpiece - Christmas just wouldn't be the same without it!

I must say though, that there are performances from EVERY period (and every album) that I enjoy, and which are special to me.

Murray

Number 4, no question, as this timeframe also produced some of my favorite Carpenters music.
Mark

I don't really have a preference. I'd say every era was good. Sorry about Karen's passing!

We used to live near a family that played The Carpenters a lot! Too bad we had to move away!

If I had a scanner, I'd show you my kids! They really look a lot like Karen and Richard--least when they were younger!

Neither are that musical--though my daughter was almost a whiz on the cello; my son couldn't do as good on the violin, but is still self-teaching himself guitar (after 13 years??!! :rolleyes: ).

Kat

Voted for 75, but I feel that group should be 73-75. Those were her best years to me. Of course, the Christmas Songs in the latter period are great, as well as the performance of I Believe You, but would have been even better with the strength and stamina of those early years. Her voice matured as she grew older, and it was always unique and beautiful, but lacked consistency throughout her range, most likely due to the excessive dieting.

As Harry mentioned, the early years had a raw talent appeal. Listen to the tidbits from Make Your Own Kind of Music. Those were effortless and stylistic perfect with balanced energy and consistent tone from the top to bottom of her range, while, as it seems, being performed off the cuff.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom