Which new Mendes CDs do you plan to buy?

Which Brasil '66/'77 reissues do you plan to buy?

• Are you kidding? ALL of them!

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Just the ones I don't already have on CD.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Only my favorites.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Just one or two, for now.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • None--I'll keep my vinyl, thanks!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who's this Mendez guy?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
A quickie poll to keep us occupied until the reissues hit the stores...

-= N =-

Alex Sanguinetti said:
What about Lani's solo albums?

Unfortunately, none of Lani Hall's solo efforts are being re-released at this time. There was a brief release of SUN DOWN LADY on the Japanese Vivid Sound label within the last few years. Other than that, a rare issue of ES FACIL AMAR, a couple of compilations in the 80s, and her latest BRAZIL NATIVO release, none of her other solo albums have made it to CD.

A great catalog for the do-it-yourselfers.

Harry
...growing sleepy, online...

While it's exciting finally to be getting close to the Mendes reissues on CD, this would be a good time to reflect on what has NOT ever been released to CD anywhere in the world. I believe the list would include:

LOVE MUSIC
VINTAGE '74
IN CONCERT
MAGIC LADY

Anything else?

All of the early A&M's are being released this month with the exception of IN CONCERT. HOMECOOKING and BRASIL '88 are being released in Brazil this month (check Dusty Groove, and then check out the liner notes carefully when you get BRASIL '88!) :D The other Elektra albums made it a year or so ago, and all of the '80s A&Ms have had CD releases.

Harry
...wondering, online...

Harry said:
HOMECOOKING and BRASIL '88 are being released in Brazil this month (check Dusty Groove, and then check out the liner notes carefully when you get BRASIL '88!) :D

Very interesting...I'll have to check it out! :)

I'm debating what to get from this current batch of reissues. The only really good Brasil '66 CD I own is Look Around (since Fool sounds horrible and Equinox is too pricey for 25 minutes of music). So, I'll probably make sure I get Herb Alpert Presents and Fool On The Hill first, possibly Equinox, and then maybe Crystal Illusions. After that, I'd just get one every now and then so I could eventually get the collection. For now? Just my favorites, but I do eventually want to end up with all of them. If this may only happen once in the history of CDs, I don't want to miss out on it and regret it a few years later.

-= N =-

I already have the new remasters of LOOK AROUND and EQUINOX, and the previous Japanese issues of YE-ME-LE and CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS, and the original A&M release of FOOL ON THE HILL, so I plan to get HERB PRESENTS, FOOL, YE and CRYSTAL in the hopes that they are better sounding than their predecessors.

Among the never-before-on-CD items, of course I'm getting 'em all! Are you kidding?! :D

This means I'm buying some of those albums for the 5th time! :shock: (I realize for some of you collectors, that's nothin'!)

I didn't realize HOMECOOKING and BRASIL '88 were coming out. Might have to get those too, although they have not aged nearly as well as the early-era A&M albums, IMHO.

It all depends on how much they cost....I'd love 'em all...but I'm drastically short of coin.... :cry:

Dan, not broke, but badly bent...

I have all of the older Japanese reissues now: POCM-1879 (HAP) through POCM-1996 (Ye Me Le). So this month I'll be making a mad rush to buy only the last four: Expo, Stillness, Pais Tropical, and Primal Roots.

If any of you guys who buy all ten of them report that the new HAP/Equinox/LA/Fool/etc. reissues sound significantly better than the old ones I have, then I'll eventually replace my entire Brasil '66 catalogue. (I can hear my wallet protesting that eventuality already. :sad: )

But for now, just the four.

- William

C. Bacardi and Harry,
Thanks for your answers.
You know, I've been listening Sergio since he started putting ut albums in the 60's and I have quite a number of them. I think I have all but Brasil 86, which I've got on a tape.

This is a great story, I think. I bought a used car in Germany which the old owner didn't care to clean and also left a bunch of old tapes he didn't want anymore (you know what I mean: without boxes, with boxes saying nothing, etc, hahahaha). Between them it was the copy of Brasil 86, hahahahahaha.

Anyway, I think besides the ones you mentioned they never released the one the came out in South America in VAIVEN ("All in love is fair", "If I ever lose this heaven", etc), but I might be wrong.
It's a really good album.

Once again, guys, where are the really old posts? I could see only a couple of pages.

All the best,
Alex Sanguinetti

Alex Sanguinetti said:
Anyway, I think besides the ones you mentioned they never released the one the came out in South America in VAIVEN ("All in love is fair", "If I ever lose this heaven", etc), but I might be wrong.
It's a really good album.

That album was released in the US in 1975 as simply SERGIO MENDES on Elektra and was released on CD last year through eastwest Records in Japan as AMCY-6016. The album has its moments, but I think most fans tend to think it's too much in the American Pop vein -- not enough Brazilian influences.

Once again, guys, where are the really old posts? I could see only a couple of pages.

Our forum was upgraded to this one in April. The old one had a lot of posts, but was getting large and unwieldy, and had already been pruned so that a good chunk of the year 2000 posts were already gone. This one that Neil found for us will hopefully be able to hold much more information before it gets "top heavy." It's too bad that a newcomer can't explore all of the old posts, since there was a wealth of information there. Neil keeps threatening to find a way to put those old posts online, but pruning out the junk would take a great deal of time. No problem for me though -- I'm always willing to repeat anything that I know -- just ask.

Harry
NP: SERGIO MENDES (Elektra, 1975)

Dear Harry,
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Regarding: "not enough Brazilian influences". Well, that record has as many Brazilian influences as others he made and many more than just a few, hahahaha.

Anyway, Sergio Mendes in not really hardcore Brazilian Music (not that it matters to me). To me music is just music, and certainly Sergio made a lot of great stuff, regardles of style.

All the best,

Alex Sanguinetti

Alex Sanguinetti said:
Regarding: "not enough Brazilian influences". Well, that record has as many Brazilian influences as others he made and many more than just a few, hahahaha.

Anyway, Sergio Mendes in not really hardcore Brazilian Music (not that it matters to me). To me music is just music, and certainly Sergio made a lot of great stuff, regardles of style.

I was referring to the information I've gathered here from the opinions of many fans. I can't recall very many who really are all that fond of that SERGIO MENDES album. Many will site a track or two that they're fond of, but not the album as a whole. (Shall I jot you down in my memory as one of this album's big fans? :) ) As I said, the album has it's moments, but overall, for most, comes off as one of the group's more slickly-produced American-style albums. I have nothing against that -- indeed, I count the similiar LOVE MUSIC album among my favorites, to the dismay of others who prefer the more stripped-down, Brazilian sound of the early Brasil '66 or the PRIMAL ROOTS sound of Brasil '77.

I suppose that when I said, "not enough Brazilian influences", I was referring to the fact that every song is in English, and most are covers of familiar tunes by Stevie Wonder, George Harrison, Thom Bell and Linda Creed, Dave Grusin, the Bergmans.

As for music being just music, I couldn't agree more. Too many people get hung up into putting music into certain niches. To me, if it's good -- it's good. I don't care WHERE it came from!

Anyway, now that you know that the album came out on CD, here's hoping you can find it. Good hunting!

Harry
NP: SERGIO MENDES (Elektra, 1975)

I don't have a specific favorite album, all his albums have good things, and certainly this has many.
Anyway, you can be sure most people don't have this one, they didn't even seen it around, hahahahaha.
And thanks again on the info obout that Elektra.

Take care,
Alex Sanguinetti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom