Whipped Cream

Love that single!

Herb did a mighty fine version of it as well. :wink: And a good reminder to find more of Toussaint's own recordings! Why mess with a good thing? Herb added some embellishments to what already was a fine arrangement of the tune. Pretty cool find!

Last edited:
Excellent and yes this is a nice huge find and it is exactly the way the song was originally done and Herb's version is true to this original version I would say both records set the standard for how this song should basically be played by anyone who would want to do covers in the future

Very interesting....I never heard this song performed by anyone other than Herb Alpert.

Whipped Cream has always been one of my favorite Tijuana Brass songs.

I wasn't able to find anything on CD, but was able to stream a brief compilation by The Stokes and it is every bit as enjoyable as this track. It all has a 60s NOLA vibe, and instrumental like this track. Neat stuff!

https://smile.amazon.com/Stokes-Sel...sr=8-1&keywords=the+stokes+selected+favorites

I was able to stream that on Tidal this morning.

The track is also on a two-CD Allen Toussaint compilation featuring his hits and productionsThere's a "highlights" version of this compilation on vinyl I'm picking up from Collector's Choice (through Discogs, where they have it listed $9 cheaper than on their site...go figure).

https://smile.amazon.com/Everything-Do-Gonh-Be-Funky/dp/B00005AU4G/

51zF8idpzaL._SY355_.jpg

I'm actually listening to Toussaint's final album, American Tunes, as I work around here today. :)

I recall that the song was offered to Al Hirt, who turned it down (I could be wrong, but Herb may have said that in an interview...). I'm going to conjecture that the demo came to Jumbo after Java (also written by Toussaint) met with big success; but, Al went with Cotton Candy instead. This was all in early '64. According to 45cat, The Stokes 45 was issued JAN65, and Herb's was issued 08FEB65.

I continually wonder why Jumbo passed it up? It's definitely consistent with his music at that time and I can hear him doing it. Perhaps Al didn't see the melody as conducive to his brand of soloing.

I continually wonder why Jumbo passed it up? It's definitely consistent with his music at that time and I can hear him doing it. Perhaps Al didn't see the melody as conducive to his brand of soloing.
The feel of the Stokes version is closer to New Orleans than Herb's was (especially the rhythm), so stylistically it would have fit Jumbo's repertoire. But yeah, I kind of get that too--maybe it wasn't flashy enough for his style, and unless it were changed a bit, the arrangement really doesn't allow for much in the way of improvisation like "Java" did.

But yeah, I kind of get that too--maybe it wasn't flashy enough for his style, and unless it were changed a bit, the arrangement really doesn't allow for much in the way of improvisation like "Java" did.
Java is a perfect single: a throwaway melody, endless repetition, predictability, a surprise in the bridge -- yet it all comes together without getting trite. It's the ultimate call-and-resopnse instrumental and Jumbo knew just when to let the cat out of the bag to push the melody over the edge for a few seconds. It's...simply...beautiful. I could listen to that little 1:59 ditty over and over and never tire of it.

I could listen to that little 1:59 ditty over and over and never tire of it.
I have the album digitally of course, but there are times I'll pull out the vinyl just to play that one track, or that first side (which also has "I Can't Get Started" and "Tansy"). For being a DynagrooVe, it's one of the better sounding RCA records.

Back
Top Bottom