Who Has The Largest Sergio Mendes Collection?

If I recall correctly, the reviewer was Peter Reilly and the mag was 'Stereo Review', c/ 1966 or 67.
I believe he was still reviewing for Stereo Review in the 70s and early 80s, as I remember the P.R. at the bottom of the reviews. (I almost want to say it was Phil Reilly, but I am likely confusing him with Phyl Garland, aka P.G., who was an R&B/pop reviewer, book author and columnist.) I remember the great C.A. (Chris Albertson) was their jazz reviewer through those years, and he is still active today, residing in NYC.

Here is the cover and excerpts from the July 29th or 30th 1970 show's program at Detroit's Fisher Theater. Note that the cover art was also in the tour book and on a UK compilations LP cover except it's a mirror image, i.e., Sergio's facing right instead of left. I somehow ended up with two copies of this, along with the purchased tour book. As for the show itself, I barely remember the lead off comedian (let alone his jokes!) and do remember wishing that Nancy Wilson (fine singer that she was) would hurry up and finish so Sergio and company could make their appearance. Didn't take photos at this concert, and I think due to it being indoors and the Instamatic wouldn't do, even with a flash (finally got a Canon FTb SLR in '71).

Incidentally, to speak to the original subject of this thread, I don't know if I have the largest or best Sergio collection, but whatever I have that may be of interest to you all is shared (including memories, or what's left of them), and this is the only means I have right now of doing so (not a Facebooker, Twitterer (Tweeter?), Instagramer etc). Thanks to great people like Rudy, Harry, Steve, Capt. Bacardi, Mike, etc., we have this site in which to do so. Which is why I (and we all should) donate to keep it going...

Brasil '66 1970 (1).jpg Brasil '66 1970 (2).jpg

Last edited:
That line drawing is the one I mentioned some time ago in some other thread when I went through and downloaded a bunch of Sergio related stuff from the Variety archives. It appeared in a Variety ad circa 1966 or 1967.

Re: Stereo Review. I still remember reading an out and out rave about "Pais Tropical" in SR with a pic of Sergio in the big wicker chair surrounded by band. The caption stated something like "jet set troubadours".

Funny thing, I was turned on to Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 due to the Sibilance test on the Shure Era II test record. Once I heard Mas Que Nada, I was so impressed I had to have the entire LP, tried to order a copy, distributor had no stock. Went to the AM/FM station I engineered for and asked the PD if there were any stray Sergio Mendes albums I could get, he ushered me back in the rear of his office to the shelves of LP discs, he said if you find anything you want in those shelves take them home, I need room. I came away with nice unplayed copies of all of them and now am a major fan. Came home with several hundred nice unwanted records, most of which I still own.

I have the biggest Sergio Mendes collection. I have all six of his albums.
Funny! Except, (if you are referring to _Brasil '66_ and not Sergio's parallel Atlantic albums -- not to mention his post- and pre- B'66 albums) there are 7 -- if you count Stillness (1970).

Back
Top Bottom