WHO WOULD'VE LIKED A CARPENTERS COUNTRY ALBUM IN '78/'79?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

As we know the idea of a country album, following the success of SMILE, was briefly considered.

Personally, I'd have loved one. . . most of my favourite cuts of theirs have a lilting country feel. In some ways it's not too dissimilar to what the Birds and Flying Burrito Brother did with Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Gilded Palace of Sin. . . .a marriage of rock/pop with country sensibilities, though obviously with our duo it'd be on the softer side of things.

What about you guys? Would you have preferred another straight ahead pop album, or something a little left field with country.

Come to think of it, that would have been a truly eclectic triptic of music. . .'77's Passage, '78's Portrait, and '79's Country Album.

Oh, and any fun suggestions of what they would have called it.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Neil

Short answer, I'd have liked any Carpenters album in 1978-79...
But more to the point, while I do think they might've had a short run of success with country-flavored singles, fundamentally the Carpenters were never going to be a country act. Imagine Karen singing "Don't come home a-drinkin' with lovin' on your mind..." Nah, at its roots country is somewhat raw and uncensored in its lyrics and production, while the Carpenters were highly polished, uncontroversial pop all the way. Sticking a few banjos or pedal steel guitars into an arrangement doesn't make it country.
In the late '70s you definitely had a pop element finding success at country radio...Anne Murray, Eddie Rabbit, Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle. That was when Dolly Parton was experimenting with pop as well, and scoring hits with things like "Here You Come Again" and "Heartbreaker". Sure, I can seen the Carpenters briefly riding that wave also. But even with that group, there were themes in the music that Karen and Richard never would have touched.
Their version of "Jambalaya" owed everything to Jo Stafford and nothing to Hank Williams. The original LP cut of "Top of the World" has a stronger country feel than what happened with it after they recut it for a single.
I think Richard successfully integrated country elements into some of their music, but the result was never country music and it would've had only a short appearance at country radio. The album would have appealed only to the same fans buying their other pop albums -- I can't see it attracting much in the way of a new audience at the time.
The country format has changed a lot since the late 1970s, but back then the crossover music still getting a lot of scorn.

I would have enjoyed a country album. I think Karen could have pulled off a great version of the old Etta James / Reba "Sunday Kind of Love".
Richard could do the right kind of arrangements. I even made my own country collection years ago, and it sounds pretty cohesive. The marketing of it may have been difficult, however. But the music could have held its own.

I would have loved either a country album then or jazz album sometime down the line or both. I love the country-pop feel they infused into songs in the past and Karen melded with them so well.

So much could have happened if...... I think we all can say that in parts of our lives. For me, I can certainly say that I have never had the success of Karen and Richard. I would have liked anything that came out in 1979 for I was hungry for new Carpenters material. I believe I played Passage and Horizon repeatedly as I waited. I am happy for what we have and that has come out over the years. It has helped ease the pain of Karen's passing since we get to hear a few new songs trickled down through the years. Since these unreleased jems are new to us, in a way, it keeps her presence felt: a new song means a new emotional experience. I still keep hoping for more....

Craig

Name suggestion:

Carpenters: Made in Nashville I am bias, however... :wink:

And, much the same way they did the oldies medley, I'd have suggested 5 new tunes, and a medley side, with variations of numerous iconic Country hits, possibly with guest spots for some duets, to add street cred for the country radio programers of the day. I'd have also used Nashville musicians for the sessions. That alone would have assured air-play here, then - presumably spreading to other major country markets....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom