Who wrote "Superstar"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

Sorry if this was discussed before. I tried to search for Delaney Bramlett in this forums, but search didn't work well today. Every time I read one thread, error occurred.

Does any your Superstar, record/CD, have different writer's name?

I read at another site that promotion guy for Delaney Bramlett wrote that there will be "Superstar" on a new CD by Delaney, the way that Delaney and Leon wanted it done.

I think I read that Robert received a message from Delaney's manager;
the lyrics were actually written by Delaney and not Bonnie.

And this was written at another site;
written by Bonnie Bramlett, Delaney Bramlett, and Leon Russell

I cannot recall if "Superstar" was mentioned in Delaney R.I.P. article.

Sakura

Though all of the Carpenters records versions credit Bonnie Bramlett, I believe that the late Delaney Bramlett is largely responsible for the "Superstar" lyrics. It was even more likely a collaboration between the two, with Leon Russell penning the music.

http://GroupieSuperstar.notlong.com

Delaney & Bonnie's version is called "Groupie (Superstar)".

Harry

Karen and Leon Russell proved to be a match made in heaven. Three of her finest songs (IMHO) are penned by Leon Russell: Superstar, A Song For You...and my favorite, This Masquerade. Personally would have liked to have seen more of a collaboration between the two artists.

Though it remains difficult to pick a Carpenters' favorite tune, I find that over the years the one song I have played most....so gripping...is Leon Russell's This Masquerade. Probably could have gone to the top for the Carpenters if released as a single....

DG Farnsworth
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...-the-reincarnation-of-karen-carpenter/7154668

Delaney Bramlett's name was added to 40/40.

Both paper case and song list in 40th anniversary box don't have his name.

Sakura

Found this regarding an interview with Leon Russell 2005:
When asked which recorded version of "Superstar" was his favorite – the interviewer apparently tried to steer him towards a version other than the Carpenters' – Russell simply and tersely responded, "I have always been a huge fan of Karen Carpenter."He mentioned no other versions.

Welcome to the Boards, dgfarnsworth. And welcome back Sakura!

Unfortunately, Sakura's message was from 2009. But we certainly would welcome her back when and if she does show up.

Harry

Well, here's an interesting "definition" of it, story and history of it, from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar_(Delaney_and_Bonnie_song)

Originally entitled "(Groupie) Superstar" (perhaps not to get confused w/ "Jesus Christ Superstar"...) I've had versions by Bette Midler, Gap Mangione (retaining the original "Groupie" tag in the title), Gayle McCormick, CarpenterS, and session guitarist David Spinozza (often playing that when testing a new axe) and a few others...

Also a video to the original, simply by Delaney & Bonnie:

Which coincided during the Mad Dogs & Englishmen years in Joe Cocker's revue...

-- Dave

My understanding is that Bonnie really does not, and never, cared for Carpenters version of Superstar.
Finding a confirmation, in print, has proved to be rather elusive.

From a recent interview with Bonnie Bramlett:
JM: Say, a specific question. You co-wrote the song “Groupie”, which of course became better known as “Superstar”, done by The Carpenters. Some people think that they changed the original meaning of the song with the changed lyrics. What do you think of the version that they did?

BB: I don’t care what they do. They can change it all they want. Who cares?

I used to care. Back in the day I really cared. Man, when they changed it to “to be with you again”. I wrote “to sleep with you again”. That meant something. That meant a big deal to me. I was really bummed out. But you know what, I grew up. And when you grow up, it’s a business.

I mean, Bonnie Raitt changed the title of my song from “Gotcha” to “I Ain’t Gonna Let You Go”. I don’t care, she can change the title to “Dorothy” if she wants to. With “Superstar”, whatever you need to do with it to make it yours, go ahead. Just pay me, and I’m good with it.

Interesting. To me it's about a thousand times more powerful of a song the Carpenters way - from the perspective of a fan somewhere dreaming that the song on the radio is for her.....

I'd add that getting a big dose of cash would add to anyone's ability to accept relatively small change to their song. And Richard and Karen certainly did that for the writers of Superstar.

I agree that the infusion of "cash" through the years has softened Bonnie Bramlett's vocal opposition to Karen and Richard's take
on this tune. Yet, I can not place my hands on it now, but she has stated in the past her dislike (if not, vehemence) for what
Carpenters did to that song. In all that I have since come across (lately) she does not explicitly state the aforementioned feelings.
But, once again, the passage of time alters her (or anyone's) perspective on these things, anyway.
I have listened to many other versions ( even saw Rita Coolidge in Daytona Beach in -1983 -I think, who sang it there)
and none of the extant recordings remotely come close to the absolute beauty and chill-factor of Karen & Richard Carpenter.

I remember reading an interview with Bonnie Bramlett back in the late 70's or early 80's, maybe in Rolling Stone??? She was a really fighting mad and said what she would like to do to Karen if she met her. She was awful and ungrateful, even though she made lots of money from it. It was over the line change "to sleep with you again". I laugh because the Carpenters were "Superstars" and Ms. Bramlett had her two hits that we're not that successful. Most people never even heard of her, but may remember their songs from the late 60's on the radio. I doubt many could tell you who sang them though. Advantage, Carpenters! Leon does a nice version if you are interested.

Her reaction sounds like a lot of what our duo dealt with. Everyone else was supposed to have creative freedom to be who they were, but that freedom stopped short when it came to Karen and Richard.

Her reaction sounds like a lot of what our duo dealt with. Everyone else was supposed to have creative freedom to be who they were, but that freedom stopped short when it came to Karen and Richard.
Exactly!

March 2014, Leon Russell interview (regarding Superstar):
As for the Carpenters, Russell didn't know the brother-and-sister duo before they covered "Superstar." "I was producing a gospel duet, two twins called the O'Neal Twins. They weighed about 350 pounds and they both sounded like Bobby Bland, but they sang in harmony like the Everly Brothers. I was talking to them one day and I asked them who's their favorite singer and they both said Karen Carpenter. It seemed like quite a reach for me, but they both loved her.
She was a great singer, no doubt about it. I was pleased she chose to do my song. She had such a pristine voice."

Though it remains difficult to pick a Carpenters' favorite tune, I find that over the years the one song I have played most....so gripping...is Leon Russell's This Masquerade. Probably could have gone to the top for the Carpenters if released as a single....

Actually, "This Masquerade" was released as a single...sort of. It was used as the B-side of "Please, Mr. Postman" in its original version; later replaced by "Solitaire" on the Forget-Me-Not oldies reissue.

In addition to the Carpenters, Bette Midler, Rita Coolidge, etc; "Superstar" was also covered by Cher on a 1970 Atco single that made little if any splash; but was included years later in one of Rhino's "handmade series" packages. Rhino's liner notes refer to Cher's version as "probably handing the hit to Karen Carpenter," whatever that means...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom