Whose Idea was Music, Music, Music?

I remember watching both Music, Music, Music and Olivia's Hollywood Night's Special and thinking that Karen wore the same outfit.

Probably. A lot of comments in this forum over the years concerning the awful wardrobe Karen was presented in throughout her career. It seems she was dressed "on the cheap". Should've never been allowed to happen IMHO. Such a shame for such a naturally beautiful and attractive woman.

Probably. A lot of comments in this forum over the years concerning the awful wardrobe Karen was presented in throughout her career. It seems she was dressed "on the cheap". Should've never been allowed to happen IMHO. Such a shame for such a naturally beautiful and attractive woman.

She somehow had the ability to make granny dresses and some other silly clothing articles almost charming.

Honestly, guys, I don't think at that point in their career, the special had the potential to either significantly help or hurt them. I feel like the die had been cast at that point. Made in America was the brief spark that burned a year or so later. Like everyone else, however, I am so thankful for the beautiful medley.

That medley for me was Karen and Richard at their best!!

That opening to Make it Easy is chilling and just look at her face as she sings it. I’ll still always prefer her original reading of Someday, which is just mesmerizing. Even as part of a medley it’s too lush here. I never hear the cold she supposedly had in 1969 when recording it.

I know this was not recorded in high definition back then but I wish we had a true 1080p resolution of this medley.
This medley really lifts my mood whenever I hear it, I just think it's the best from Karen and Richard. Seeing Karen visually sing this makes it so personal for me. 3:21 is my favorite part...just watch as Karen takes that sec before she starts to get into her "mood" to sing this, just awesome!!

There are 2 medleys: the Ella/Karen medley and the Sing/Bacharach/Begun. Both are beautiful and worth every minute. The opening section was nice and so was the I’ve Got Rhythm song and dance number. I like it all of these. Even the rehashed drum routine was nice to see again. Even though it was close to the styles of Steve and Edie there were some divine Carpenters moments. Knowing When To Leave and Make It Easy On Yourself was right on target, just perfect in every form. Even Slaughter on Tenth Avenue was entertaining. All of this mentioned was about the usual amount of music around all the skits. So with the skits removed there was even more music. I think it showcased traditional music and the talents of Karen and Richard being able to pull it off! Was From This Moment On from here or was it just an outtake due to time restraints. I can’t remember, but that is one of my favorites, as well. Cole Porter mixed with Bach is genius and they glide through it with precision. An album of the above is perfect for me. To me, it’s a third side of Passage.

I have commented about this before and apparently it bothers no one, except me:
Karen's 1973 vocals for This Masquerade are used to open the KC/EF Medley--
this is so jarring to me, as it accentuates how Karen's vocal strength had deteriorated in span of seven years.
She segues into the rest of the Medley with her 1980 vocals--which are softer, weaker and higher.
Maybe it's just me, but her vocals are in a higher key all over the songs in this special.
Another question I have entertained all these years is Karen's drum solo in this special--
When was it recorded ? How was it put together ? Did Karen actually perform (record the drums) "all at once'" ?
Again, I like this TV special generally, but, it is disturbing to watch and listen to, for many a reason.

I have commented about this before and apparently it bothers no one, except me:
Karen's 1973 vocals for This Masquerade are used to open the KC/EF Medley--
this is so jarring to me, as it accentuates how Karen's vocal strength had deteriorated in span of seven years.
She segues into the rest of the Medley with her 1980 vocals--which are softer, weaker and higher.
Maybe it's just me, but her vocals are in a higher key all over the songs in this special.

It’s always bothered me too. I don’t know why she didn’t just re-record her vocal. And the key Richard had her in for the rest of the medley made her sound weak in comparison to the opening vocals. In fact, she’s in too high a key on almost all the tracks for the TV special, especially the opening “A Song For You”. Which does beg the question how he can criticise Phil’s key placement of her vocals on her own album.

There are 2 medleys: the Ella/Karen medley and the Sing/Bacharach/Begun. Both are beautiful and worth every minute. The opening section was nice and so was the I’ve Got Rhythm song and dance number. I like it all of these. Even the rehashed drum routine was nice to see again. Even though it was close to the styles of Steve and Edie there were some divine Carpenters moments. Knowing When To Leave and Make It Easy On Yourself was right on target, just perfect in every form. Even Slaughter on Tenth Avenue was entertaining. All of this mentioned was about the usual amount of music around all the skits. So with the skits removed there was even more music. I think it showcased traditional music and the talents of Karen and Richard being able to pull it off! Was From This Moment On from here or was it just an outtake due to time restraints. I can’t remember, but that is one of my favorites, as well. Cole Porter mixed with Bach is genius and they glide through it with precision. An album of the above is perfect for me. To me, it’s a third side of Passage.
Aren’t you forgetting the Carpenters/Como medley?

That’s on As Time Goes By but don’t remember it on MMMusic. It was on the 1974 Perry Como Christmas which is when Christmas Portrait should have been released.

I think Karen sounds incredible on the medley! Amazing how we all hear different things. Also, she did do the drumming on all the songs from the special, which is so cool!

I also thought it was goofy to use the ‘73 recording of ‘This Masquerade’. That was unnecessary. But Richard was and remains such an audiophile. I’d venture to guess that’s why they used it.

Again, I am in the minority. I think MMM is the best special out of the five. Where the other four have me cringing multiple times, this one has not one cringe-worthy moment. Also, I don't think this was a "misfire" at all. I would describe it as more of a "correction" to the horrible "misfires" of the other specials. This is who they were and highlighted their talents as professional musicians. John Davidson was the weakest link in it. But overall, A+.

Granted, we might have differing definitions of what constitutes a "misfire."
I will say this, I have two different 8X10 glossies from the fanclub.
One is Karen on the drum kit in her "lead-sister" shirt.
One is Karen on the drum kit in the MMM special.
It is the difference between night and day.

Again, I am in the minority. I think MMM is the best special out of the five. Where the other four have me cringing multiple times, this one has not one cringe-worthy moment. Also, I don't think this was a "misfire" at all. I would describe it as more of a "correction" to the horrible "misfires" of the other specials. This is who they were and highlighted their talents as professional musicians. John Davidson was the weakest link in it. But overall, A+.

Well, said, Geographer, and I totally concur! : )

Back
Top Bottom