Whose Idea was Music, Music, Music?

Has anyone dare timed out how much of the 1980 Special consisted of Medleys ??
That is --of course--one of my pet peeves....too many Medleys....
I want to watch each TV Special-- in chronological order-- then include more observations.

^ Which was also my only pet peeve when I saw them in concert. Richard loved this approach and truly excelled at it but the biggest hits should have always been performed in their entirety in my opinion. The outstanding Bacharach medley was always exception for me because it did not "waste" any of the Carpenter classics.

Further comments...
Beginning with the 1976 Special (which is pretty good for its day):
The special begins with a bit of humor, We've Only Just Begun and Richard's conducting...a synopsis of all to come.
When the 1973 Top of the World vocals are lip-synced by a 1976 Karen, I do not like that.
We got the Spike Lee influenced Close To You...which was interesting (RC vocals).
Of course, there is Karen's drum solo....always interesting.
John Denver was a pleasure as guest star (as was the Medley duet w/Karen).
The Superstar/Rainy Days Medley was very nice.
The Hits Medley was a fitting conclusion to the 1976 Special.
Easy to see why this special was a ratings winner. For its day, very good.
I like this one...but, enough with the Medleys !

By the way, in the 2001 interview with Elaine Paige, Richard Carpenter states--regarding the initial television specials (1976,1977,1978)--
"we thought we were going to do something different, the powers that be said 'no, you are going to do this'...."

About the final special:
Music, Music, Music...he says: "that's what I had in mind."

Produced by Tony Levin (guitarist for King Crimson)??

Here's the credit line from YouTube:

This "Spike Jones tribute band" featuring bassist Tony Levin, his brother Pete on keyboard, and drummer Steve Gadd, pretty much sank without a trace after recording these two lone sides for the CTI Records subsidiary Three Brothers. "Close To You" did, however, get a bit of novelty airplay upon its release, Dr. Demento featured it on his syndicated show, and there are a few of us who are proud to own a copy of this somewhat rare 45. What did Richard and Karen Carpenter think about this dastardly skewering of their mega-hit ballad? Well, Richard is well-known to have been a lifelong fan of Spike Jones' music and apparently he enjoyed this spoof well enough to create his own similarly deranged.....er, arranged.....wacky version, which he and his bandmates performed during the Carpenters concert tour for a period during the mid-1970s.

Ed

Here is a question.
If Richard so hated the "shtick" and "comedy skits" in the TV Specials (all save the MMM Special--no skits, no schtick),
then why did he inject so much of that type of thing in the later concerts ?
I wondered this while re-watching the 1976 Holland concert this morning (one of the few times that
"Don't Be Afraid" was performed in concert). Interesting concert, to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom