Whose "Knowing when to leave" is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masayo

Carpenters sang a full track of "Knowing when to leave" in any album? If not, whose one do you think is the best?

The closest to a full-length version of Carpenters doing "Knowing When To Leave" comes in the live Bacharach-David Medley, released in two places: the Japanese Anthology or the US Readers Digest Set.

Failing that, I've always favored the Original Broadway Cast of Promises, Promises version sung by Jill O'Hara. You can find that on the cast album, and it's on the Bacharach box set The Look Of Love.

And one more, Burt's own instrumental version on A&M on the Make It Easy On Yourself album. Burt always has the inside track on performing his songs the way they should be performed. But again, it's instrumental, and perhaps you're looking for a vocal version.

Harry
...knowing when to leave a post as finished, online...

I have to put Burt's own version at #1. While it doesn't have vocals it has a certain punch that only Burt can provide. Having said that I would put The Carpenters versions right below Burt's.

Scott

I'll second Harry's vote for Ms. O'Hara form the original cast of "Promises,Promises"-a very moving version with Jill's voice a bit scratchy and vulnerable. I guess she has done OK with stage shows(she sang "Good Morning Starshine" on the original cast recording of "Hair",off-Broadway, and still performs live theatre today)but never achieved crossover recognition her co-star,Jerry Orbach obtained. Mac

Thanks, guys.
Yeah, Harry you're right. I'm looking for a vocal version because I want to sing it together :wink:
So first of all, I'll buy Ms O'Hara's version. Though I want to get the original cast CD "Promises, Promises", it seems to be easier to get the Bacharach box set The Look Of Love?!?!
Burt's own version also sounds good and fortunately many CDs are still available.

Anyway, I knew the longest Carpenters version is on the Bachrach-David medley. thanks again.

Yes, it would appear that the Promises, Promises Original Cast soundtrack is out of print. For reference, it's a RYKO/MGM release with a catalog number of RCD 10750. Amazon lists it with 23 buyers waiting for a used copy! I see a few on eBay going for reasonable amounts -- nothing higher than about 12 - 15 dollars, so I guess the demand isn't all that high yet, and you might be able to track down a copy that way.

There's something about Jill O'Hara's take on that album. While she's not the world's greatest singer, she really nails her performance on this song. The first time I heard it, I wasn't sure about. but the more I heard it, the better I liked it, and I'm glad that the compilers of the Bacharach box set agreed and included it there. Mac had a good word for describing her performace - vulnerable. I'd agree, and add: vulnerable, yet somehow powerful.

If you really want to find a hard-to-get version, look for the vinyl LP of the Original London Cast album of Promises, Promises (United Artists UAS 29075). This one features Betty Buckley in the role of Fran and singing the song in question. Tony Roberts is the male lead on this one. There are fans who prefer this version as an Original Cast performance. I find charms in both, preferring Jill O'Hara in the female lead, yet like Tony Roberts as the male lead. Though I've not got the actual vinyl, I did transfer a copy of someone else's rare vinyl to CD -- back in the days before the Broadway version even made it to CD. I unnderstand that this is one of those vinyl LPs that sells in the hundreds whenever it does show up.

Harry
NP: Original London Cast, Promises, Promises

I have a version of "Knowing When To Leave" by Hugo Montenegro.
And COMPLETE with Lyrics and All! Sung by John Bahler.

It is available on Montenegro's album GOOD VIBRATIONS on RCA; originally issued on vinyl as LSP-4104.

I have it on an imported CD (from RCA Spain) as 74321695052.

Dave

...who has DEFINITELY made this MY song many a time... :| ...or at least SHOULD HAVE at one time...! :cry:

jimac51 said:
I'll second Harry's vote for Ms. O'Hara form the original cast of "Promises,Promises"-a very moving version with Jill's voice a bit scratchy and vulnerable.

I've always liked this song somewhat, but really liked it when I heard O'Hara's version on the Burt box set. It just seems "right" in that context. The same way no other artist has covered "The Look of Love" properly, the way Dusty Springfield does. ("Sultry" works, "trite pop song" doesn't.) I've found that about many of the tracks on that Bacharach box set--since many are definitive versions, I now find the other versions I've heard to be lacking a lot in many respects. Best example for this forum: has anyone ever heard a version of "Close To You" that can touch the Carpenters' version? I certainly haven't! I've heard some interesting variations, but none can grab that same mood or feeling. Classic example of someone taking a song and making it their own.

Dave wrote

John Bahler? of Love Generation?! Oh my goddess! It must be my taste!!!

masayo
one of 23 buyers waiting for a used Promises, Promises :)

Dave wrote

John Bahler? of Love Generation?! Oh my goddess! It must be my taste!!!

masayo
one of 23 buyers waiting for a used Promises, Promises :)

Hey, do I hear MY people talking? Groovy! Far-Out, Man!

Yes, I have everything these guys have done from The Love Generation to The Partridge Family to Ray Conniff to singing background vocals for Jimmie Rodgers, Jerry Lee Lewis and Nils Lofgren.

I've amassed a lot of info on these "voices", too at the following site:

[email protected] ,better known as "The Bähler Pages".

Dave

I once heard a recording of Brook Benton doing Make it Easy on Yourself, so I wonder if the one in question is also on that album. This version was impeccable.

I can add that there is no recording touched by Karen and Rich that is done better by someone else. Think about it: ever heard Rainy Days, We've Only, or Yesterday Once More done better by someone else?

Craig

Harry said:
The closest to a full-length version of Carpenters doing "Knowing When To Leave" comes in the live Bacharach-David Medley, released in two places: the Japanese Anthology or the US Readers Digest Set.

Harry
There is another longish version of "Knowing ",compared to Bacharach/David Studio Medley from 1971.

Medley from Music , Music , Music TV Special (1980), released on both From The Top and Essential Collection Box Sets has a wonderful medley of songs opening with a short Sing and moving into Knowing.

This opens up the song from the Studio Medley and allows Karen more vocal time on this special track :)

Peter...off to replay this medley......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom