Why are we measuring our love for the Carpenters, based on Billboard Singles Charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthowson

Interesting, die hard Elvis, Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle…fans don't really talk about chart positions during the declining years. Even now, I love Celine Dion, but I don't regard her as anything less because she hasn't had a hit in awhile.

I wish Karen and Richard had made it to a point in their careers where they just relaxed and said; "Wow, look what we accomplished!…. Let's just have fun and do what we love. Let's record only what we love and our audience will still be loyal."

Richard and Karen would have easily been seen as the best of the best, even without chart toppers every year. They would still be loved, just as Bette Midler is now.. based on their legacy of work, not just their most recent hit. They truly would have been the Perry Como's of today, had Karen lived.

I think it may have to do with Karen passing over 30 years ago. There are no more realistic opportunities for future Billboard chart toppers so we are forced to reflect on past accomplishments. I'm sure fans of any artist who is no longer with us will view a music legacy in the same fashion. Billboard hits, Grammy and American Music Awards, Gold and Platinum records are the measuring sticks in place to validate the careers of recording artists.

Not sure it's much different than professional athletes and their statistics or movie stars and their awards, etc. I am pretty proud of what the Carpenters accomplished in their relatively short 14 year recording career and I think 15 number one hits on the Adult Contemporary Charts and a Number 8 Hit on the Country Charts are my favorites. I agree with mstaft, some of my preferred Carpenter songs are non hits such as "You're The One", "You" and "Let Me Be The One".

Interesting observations upon an interesting query!
On a personal level, I knew virtually nothing regarding Carpenters' chart positions until well after their heyday.
Regardless of any chart position, I will always have the same respect, admiration , indeed love, of Carpenters' music and
how that music has affected me.
However, from an analytic perspective, or, for scholarly research, when I purposefully try to hammer home a point--
say, that Carpenters "accomplished" or "achieved" more than many other acts from the 1970s--- I back up my point with numbers.
Much more difficult to argue with numbers than relying solely on opinion.
As such, the chart positions, gold and platinum awards, total sales, have nothing to do with how I continue to love
the music. People can argue all they want that "Postman" was a bad remake, but the chart position tells me more folks thought otherwise.
Flip side of the coin, though, is that lack of high chart position does not imply a bad song, or bad album.
Those numbers and figures only accentuate, indeed substantiate and authenticate, for those "in the music industry" (or,
otherwise) who would (intentionally?) downplay the historic part that Carpenters have played in music history.
So, my point is that no matter what the charts say, or what sales figures are, Carpenters are always number One--with me.
To the larger sphere of those who keep an eye on such things, those numbers probably do signify the same thing that sports statistics would
signify to an athlete: the numbers validate the professional standing among their peers.
And, the history books record the numbers.

Almost each single release during the Carpenters music career, was chosen in the belief that it would achieve radio play and help promote whatever album the single was culled from. So it was very important to achieve these sales, without the record buying public, you wouldn't have anything to promote, and the record company would terminate your contract pretty fast if you weren't producing those chart topping singles.

The songs selected for single release, were usually chosen as they stood the best chance of world wide sales, and those are the songs that everyone remembers, wether you're a fan or not, without those chart achievements, the singles would have just been forgotten.

Last edited:
Well, there are "singles artists" and there are "album artists." Performers like Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell...or Herb Alpert...probably sold tons more LPS than singles; while a Frankie Valli or Three Dog Night might sell more singles than albums. While the Carpenters sold plenty of LPS, they were probably considered more in the "singles" class, and so more dependent on radio hits.

Interesting, die hard Elvis, Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle…fans don't really talk about chart positions during the declining years. Even now, I love Celine Dion, but I don't regard her as anything less because she hasn't had a hit in awhile.

I wish Karen and Richard had made it to a point in their careers where they just relaxed and said; "Wow, look what we accomplished!…. Let's just have fun and do what we love. Let's record only what we love and our audience will still be loyal."

Richard and Karen would have easily been seen as the best of the best, even without chart toppers every year. They would still be loved, just as Bette Midler is now.. based on their legacy of work, not just their most recent hit. They truly would have been the Perry Como's of today, had Karen lived.
A valid comparison between Karen and Perry Como can't be made-Karen's vocal virtuosity was beholden to no other.While Karen is sometimes referred to as "the female Sinatra",she's in a class all by herself today.

I agree. Quality is quality regardless of sales, but the sales are a curious thing themselves. So many people were ridiculed, persecuted and sometimes beaten up over their love of Carpenters, and so many people felt the need to hide that love. Yet, they sold millions. Where are those people? I still get funny looks for saying I like them, but every once in a while I say it to the right person, and oh boy...the love! Oh my!

Why aren't those people here?

I think sometimes the charts actually do reflect something deeper. It's rare, but sometimes.

A valid comparison between Karen and Perry Como can't be made-Karen's vocal virtuosity was beholden to no other.While Karen is sometimes referred to as "the female Sinatra",she's in a class all by herself today.

Actually, I don't think the Como comparison is that far off base; I think of it as referring to an immensely likable performer whose easy-going, casual style concealed his great craftsmanship. Until he retired, Perry Como was always welcomed by the public in his occasional (usually Xmas) TV specials; had Karen Carpenter survived and continued to work with Richard, I suspect they would have been welcomed in much the same manner for years to come.

I guess I've never really made a list of my favorite Carpenters tracks. Some of the later big singles are not favorites of mine at all (I really don't like "Only Yesterday" for example and can't really even say why, except I think it's overproduced) but on the other hand, many of the early album tracks (almost everything on Close To You and A Song For You) would make my favorites list.

Bravo, to the above Cover of Only Yesterday.
Thanks for bringing that one to my attention, Arthowson!

I agree Mark....this cover also proved that Karen had incredible breath control, when he gets to the chorus you hear him take a breath where Karen could sing it right through without even a flinch, in fact Karen could have probably sang the whole song in one breath. lol
Seriously, Karen could sing a long time in one deep breath, it's another quality she had that few singers could master.

Oh and this guy reminds me of a younger Donny Osmond?

Karen really shines in the verse in the recording, but the chorus is abba-esque.

I never appreciate the chorus until i heard this recording. so tender, so sweet. i love the pauses in unexpected places. i wish that Karen had recorded one of Richard's songs in the solo, but completely stripped it down to show off the lyric.

I tend to find that these Youtube covers are superior when those showing off interpret the songs in their own style rather than trying to imitate Karen and/or Richard. Just goes to show you the material...do I dare say it...is "timeless."

Carpenter/Bettis wrote some wonderful songs, can't get enough of them........what a team.

I tend to find that these Youtube covers are superior when those showing off interpret the songs in their own style rather than trying to imitate Karen and/or Richard. Just goes to show you the material...do I dare say it...is "timeless."
Richard Carpenter & John Bettis were such a formidable song writing team, I'm amazed that Herb wasn't able to nurture that talent and allow them more time to develop their song writing skills.

I think Richard and karen toured to much for him to concentrate on songwriting with john bettis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom