Why did Karen dislike "Solitaire" so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thing, this song Solitaire.
At first hear (which, for me, was off of the Horizon album; as, I had not heard the single version on the radio)
I thought the song too plodding, too long.
However, upon re-listening there are moments that tear me to shreds and are spine-tingling,chill -inducing:
Karen's lower register is prominent throughout, Drums and Strings are used with brilliance, the clash of the Cymbals
at various interludes, meaningful lyrics-- and finally, that vocal ending of Karen's "..he's playing Solitaire" followed by the piano and strings,again.
Quite a masterpiece on the part of this unique duo.

I loved it too (single version.) The chorus sores? Sure hope they saw their doctor! Looks like you've been victimized by spellcheck (haven't we all?) I get pretty soar myself when that happens...:doh:
Oh, Lord - YES!!! Damn that spell-check!!! (Or possibly the dirty Martini I had when typing...) YES I know the difference! Thanks for the smiles! :) Sorely yours, Barry T!!!!

Hmmmm... Just thinking about the slow pace of this ballad (and "Desperado", which by the Eagles, followed this & Karen and others covered later, as well)...

Here's an almost "answer-song" to this by Anthony Newley, though mainly an "answer song" to stuff he'd written-recorded in the 1960's, as a transition to his career in the '70's, beginning w/ "The Candy Man", WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, which was preceded by "Talk To The Animals", DOCTOR DOLITTLE, in the decade before...

This could very well be Karen, though that ten-years later:

-- Dave

Here's an interesting article I found about Solitaire. What this reveals is that (presumably until they wrote 'I Need To Be In Love'), Karen's favourite song was 'I Can Dream Can't I'.

"I knew brother and sister Carpenter from their New Haven days. As kids they lived in a modest pink house on Hall Street, East Haven. I was a radio announcer at (daytime) WDEE and later at a top Connecticut station, WELI in New Haven ("Yaletown"). When Karen got her drum set, things had to be moved out of the garage to make room.

With their father's job transfer to Downey, California, the family picked up and moved west. Once their music had taken off and when they came to town, I'd get together with them in places such as the (then) O'Keefe Centre in Toronto, after I had moved to the North American broadcast powerhouse, CFRB.

One of those times I hung out with Richard and we recounted the "old" radio days back in New Haven; he started singing the radio station jingles to me that he recalled from his formative years. Our conversation was light, until I brought the subject up of music. I told Richard I knew a song that had been composed by Neil Sedaka and demo'ed by him, but his voice was just too light (high) for such a slow, serious song. For good reason it never got any airplay. But I said it was a stunningly beautiful song (I noticed he was now no longer looking around, but intently staring at me); it had been done by Petula Clark and as a better version, got slight airplay but that was it. (Now I had his full attention). Out of the billion songs in the universe, I thought he should get Karen (with her clear, beautiful, almost flawless contralto voice) to record the song, called "Solitaire".

Richard's mouth dropped open. He said that no one else knew this -- not even their boss (Herb Alpert) at A & M Records -- but just before flying to Toronto for their sold-out week's engagement, they had privately recorded the song in their home studio, and had not even had time to edit it down for radio play. He couldn't believe the coincidence. Neither could I.

So if ever you want to hear "Solitaire," go to their 'Horizon' album. I feel a special connection to it because of that event in the O'Keefe hall outside the dressing rooms, so many years ago. But it is also special (to me) because it is a non-hit, extraordinary showcase of Karen Carpenter's pure voice and what it could do. Not only will 'Horizon' give you that gem, but another that had personal meaning to Karen. Just like the rest of us, singers can be moved by a particular song; one that "connects" to them in a very personal way like no other. On that same disc, the longest tune is "I Can Dream, Can't I?" which is an old number written not by her usual hitmakers (Richard teamed with John Bettis, Paul Williams), but Irving Kahal and Sammy Fain. It hit Karen where she lived, because it describes never finding, but always dreaming about, that special someone..... that once-in-a-lifetime soulmate. When pressed, Richard told me it wasn't any of the hits, but that song that was privately Karen's favourite. One listen and you'll know why. The intentionally old (1940's "period") brilliant arrangement, will simply knock your socks off."

http://www.bluenoseoperahouse.ca/stories-from/karen-and-richard

Back in the day, '75 say, I found SOLITAIRE an anthem by which wrist-slitting became welcome. Later, A.D., the vocal here transfixes. I wait for every breath with my own baited. Aural orgasm material. My ears pop-off, my heart races, soars and climaxes demanding another play. Heard as if for the first time I spin every remix, remastering often. Mixing up the different issues for a fresh take on this masterpiece of vocal dynamics. Who anywhere has the control, ease and command demonstrated here? For a song Karen hated she certainly grabbed it by the short- n- curlies. Karen's performance at SOLITAIRE sounds so effortless. Imagine the consummate effort exuded to make it so. The reading 'would command the hand he's pla a aying' is replete with despair, desolation, isolation, loneliness, stark, raw. The hurting and longing almost a pleading that things were different. Karen's dislike was transformed into brilliant interpretation of a deep-seated, long suffering pathos. My stomach churns as the ache is played over and over again. Heartsick. Til then completely unaware of what was the driving force behind these recordings. So honest, vulnerable. What I didn't hear in '75 is all too apparent today nearly forty years later.

Now at sign-off nearly tearful. My God if Karen wasn't profound in revelation I don't know who is or was.

Jeff

At the risk of repeating myself at this site, I have loved "Solitaire" since day 1! It is my absolute favorite of all Carpenters' recordings. I do have a preference for the single version, with the additional guitar work before the choruses. This could very well be Karen's best vocal performance. While life goes on around me everywhere, I'm playing "Solitaire." Goosebumps, chills, feelings of awe ... every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom