Why did R&K re-record “Can’t Smile Without You?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Must Hear This Album

Just a quick question: does anybody know why R&K re-recorded “Can’t Smile Without You?” Just curious. Forgive me if it’s been covered already here (I searched and couldn’t find a thread). Many thanks!

The remix actually dates from 1977, as it first appeared on the B-side of the 'Calling Occupants' single, before being included on The Singles 1974-1978 compilation.

It is a strange one - the remix is much better than the original album version, which seems a bit flat in comparison - but it seems like a lot of effort to go to just for the track to appear on a B-side. It can't have been in response to Barry Manilow's version, as that wasn't released until early 1978. Had it been redone in 1976 as a possible single mix perhaps?

I always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that they just wanted to bring a bit of the "Passage" treatment to the song for use as the "Occupants" B-side. The new arrangement might have seemed a bit out of place on the sedate "Hush" album, but was very in keeping with the jazzier and more heavily orchestrated style of "Passage".

My theory, though unsubstantiated, is that it was probably going to be a single release, and jazzed up a bit - then when it was known Manilow was recording as a single, it was shelved. Just a thought - but the timing seems to be about right.

I wonder if they were trying to go for a double-A side. Or maybe, as people have speculated with Your Wonderful Parade, if Can't Smile Without You was considered as the A-Side originally, with Calling Occupants maybe being considered too chopped up.

Many thanks, all, for your insights. The second-try on this tune remains a mystery to me, as “CSWY” isn’t even that great of a song (compared to, say, “You’re The One,” which sat lonely on the shelf for a decade). “CSWY" is a nice enough album cut or random B-side, perhaps, but to spend so much time with it. Huh. I suspect it’s consideration as a single is the likely case, although that’s a head scratcher to me (even though it was a top-5 hit for Barry Manilow the next year...his last top 5 hit, by the way, not that I’m saying it was a career-killer for him, but...). :whistle:

It would really have made zero sense as a single release at the time, considering that "Passage" had just been released and was the brand-new album that any singles should be promoting. You'll recall that "Passage" appeared in stores with a bright neon pink sticker drawing attention to "Occupants" -- not something they'd have done if "Can't Smile" was considered the potential A side. Plus, they did the video for "Occupants".

Seems far more likely to me that they were probably in the studio cutting Christmas tracks and took advantage of the opportunity to also make a few tweaks to "Can't Smile" before using it as the "Occupants" B-side. Or, less likely, they'd cut the jazzy version during the "Hush" sessions but set it aside until it found a more comfortable fit as a "Passage" B-side. Interesting question, would be nice to know for sure.

Many thanks, all, for your insights. The second-try on this tune remains a mystery to me, as “CSWY” isn’t even that great of a song (compared to, say, “You’re The One,” which sat lonely on the shelf for a decade). “CSWY" is a nice enough album cut or random B-side, perhaps, but to spend so much time with it. Huh. I suspect it’s consideration as a single is the likely case, although that’s a head scratcher to me (even though it was a top-5 hit for Barry Manilow the next year...his last top 5 hit, by the way, not that I’m saying it was a career-killer for him, but...). :whistle:

Interesting discussion, although I have been misreading the thread title as "record" versus "re-record." So, at first, I thought this was another discussion along the lines of "Goofus" or "Beechwood." (e.g., "Why record those songs?" Why release them as singles?" "What was Richard thinking?" :)) I have always liked "Can't Smile Without You." When I purchased Singles: 1974-1978 (as an import) and heard the newer version, I found it even more enjoyable. I probably agree with you that it might not have fared well as a single. Great theories abound here, but the decision to re-record this song is an enigma, one of many pondered by fans...

Must Hear This Album, I totally agree with you about "You're the One," an outstanding song and performance by Karen --- one of my favorites...

There has to be some reason for an entire minute to be re-recorded, added woodwinds and another layer of background vocals added toward the end. One guess would be to help promote 1974-78 Singles package in England. Funny thing to me is that Karen sounds better in the first minute on the original version rather than the edited one with different words. Maybe someone knows factually. Since this is written forever, I hate to even put these thoughts down on paper, but since it is a discussion board, I guess its permissible.

There has to be some reason for an entire minute to be re-recorded, added woodwinds and another layer of background vocals added toward the end. One guess would be to help promote 1974-78 Singles package in England. Funny thing to me is that Karen sounds better in the first minute on the original version rather than the edited one with different words. Maybe someone knows factually. Since this is written forever, I hate to even put these thoughts down on paper, but since it is a discussion board, I guess its permissible.
Great theory, about promoting the 74-78 Singles collection! I hadn’t thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. This is my favorite answer, so far.

Great theory, about promoting the 74-78 Singles collection! I hadn’t thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. This is my favorite answer, so far.

That can't be the answer though, as The Singles 1974-1978 wasn't released until December 1978, whereas the redone version of 'Can't Smile Without You' first appeared on the flip of 'Calling Occupants' more than a year earlier...

That can't be the answer though, as The Singles 1974-1978 wasn't released until December 1978, whereas the redone version of 'Can't Smile Without You' first appeared on the flip of 'Calling Occupants' more than a year earlier...
Thanks, @Rumbahbah. Was it more than a year? The “Occupants” single was released in October of 1977, and Singles 1974-1978 in 1978 (I couldn’t dig up the actual release date for this album). I could see it might have been part of the plan at some point, even if the hits album ended up being released a bit later. At any rate, the "promotion of the second Singles collection theory” is still in play for me, although the release date for that collection could shed some more light.

CFCN #62 November 1978:
"...A&M records in London are compiling another Singles Album,
which they plan to release towards the end of this year..."
CFCN #63, January 1979:
The Singles 1974-1978 "...reached #4 within five days of its release...
....It was #2 while she was in England for the Bruce Forsythe Show..."
(The show taped early December. The show aired Christmas Eve).

By the way, I always assumed that the Single Can't Smile Without You
was more along the lines of a re-mix. As it does not sound to me as if the
entire vocal performance is different, just certain select parts altered (or, added to).
Am I in error ? Is the entire Single an entirely "new" performance ?

CFCN #62 November 1978:
"...A&M records in London are compiling another Singles Album,
which they plan to release towards the end of this year..."
CFCN #63, January 1979:
The Singles 1974-1978 "...reached #4 within five days of its release...
....It was #2 while she was in England for the Bruce Forsythe Show..."
(The show taped early December. The show aired Christmas Eve).

By the way, I always assumed that the Single Can't Smile Without You
was more along the lines of a re-mix. As it does not sound to me as if the
entire vocal performance is different, just certain select parts altered (or, added to).
Am I in error ? Is the entire Single an entirely "new" performance ?

Thanks for these helpful dates. So it does appears the second Singles collection came out over a year after “CSWY” was the b-side of “Occupants,” which per @Rumbahbah, suggests it’s likely to not have been intended for that particular project (but I could see how they’d want to feature a “new” remix/recording somewhere, and a compilation album makes sense, I guess), but then the original question remains: why remix and/or re-record this particular (so-so) song (@GaryAlan, it sounds, by my untrained ear, to be a completely new vocal, but I defer to the experts...)?

Color me confused....
the Vinyl Single is time-stamped 3:26,
that's the Vinyl-45 1978-S. (back of USA Occupants).
The Vinyl LP version time-stamped 3:26, also.
If we have two entirely different vocal takes, I think it
astounding that they would be timed exactly the same !
The Japanese 45-pressing of Sweet, Sweet Smile is also backed
by this (alternative version ) song--surely, if the alternative version
was recorded during the Hush sessions, it should have gotten on to the 1976 LP ?

This really has got me to thinking about this song.

Color me confused....
the Vinyl Single is time-stamped 3:26,
that's the Vinyl-45 1978-S. (back of USA Occupants).
The Vinyl LP version time-stamped 3:26, also.
If we have two entirely different vocal takes, I think it
astounding that they would be timed exactly the same !
The Japanese 45-pressing of Sweet, Sweet Smile is also backed
by this (alternative version ) song--surely, if the alternative version
was recorded during the Hush sessions, it should have gotten on to the 1976 LP ?

This really has got me to thinking about this song.

Wouldn’t it be funny if it turns out the “alternate version” was actually the original, but it was misplaced during the recording of the album, so they quickly re-recorded the version that ended up on the album, only to find the “original / alternate” version after the album went to print?

An excellent observation, ^^Must Hear This Album !

If a song such as Ordinary Fool,
recorded during the Hush sessions,
can be "misplaced/lost" until 1983,
nothing would surprise me !

Just gave that re-do another listen... While they were adding the woodwinds, I wish they'd have added some drums a la Close To You.... seems the whole percussion treatment was a bit lackluster on this song.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but the jazzy add-ons just don't do it for me... I think it took a very pleasant song and made it sound dated, like a 40's arrangement. A little too Glen Miller sounding for my ears...

Still wondering if they didn't re-record the song to potentially release after Goofus - but when that was such a bomb, they just walked away from this album... but I do like Must Hear's suggestion... Surely the real story is out there in the ether...

Still wondering if they didn't re-record the song to potentially release after Goofus - but when that was such a bomb, they just walked away from this album... but I do like Must Hear's suggestion... Surely the real story is out there in the ether...

Wow. Now THAT’S an intriguing theory. I wonder if “CSWY” was being prepped as a single, but “Goofus” won the fan club vote (am I remembering that correctly from the newsletters?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom