Why Does "Crescent Noon" get so little attention?

John Bettis is a brilliant lyricist.
Karen and Richard have a huge legacy in Asia, due in not small part to the lyrics of yesterday once more. I love the fact though it was Karen who chose shalala over actual oldies words. If it wasn’t for that, I’m not sure the song would have been as popular as it became in non English speaking countries.

From the first time I listened to the CTY LP in mid-1987, this song sounded like a hidden gem with its fairytale-like atmosphere. Never wanted to play it too often to keep it special :love:🦄

However, now that I've started to try and play along with it, I noticed something strange about it; it runs too slow! :-o
I don't know if this had been discussed before, and I never really heard it before until now, really. I know that Karen's voice can be really low, so that's why it never really struck me all those years, but I must say, after adjusting my pitch control slider on my turntable up 3 "lines", her voice does sound more natural to my ears, and I'm able to play along as well :) :banjo:

Has anyone else noticed this? Was there a reason for this? Maybe Richard thought the original recording was a tad too fast and decided to slow it down for the album? Or perhaps the song was recorded on a different tape recorder than the other songs? Or...maybe Karen actually did sing that low and only the instrumental tracks (optionally with backing vocals) were slowed down for the desired tempo? (although with some of the words Karen sings, you can actually hear the recording is just a bit too slow...at least to my ears, that is🙃)

Greg

^^ Sounds perfectly timed to me, not too slow at all. Whatever "fast" or "slow" is may be a technical reality, but what I personally care about is whether I enjoy the song as timed. I cannot imagine CTY being timed other than as-is.

Karen and Richard have a huge legacy in Asia, due in not small part to the lyrics of yesterday once more. I love the fact though it was Karen who chose shalala over actual oldies words. If it wasn’t for that, I’m not sure the song would have been as popular as it became in non English speaking countries.

The song wouldn’t have been as popular period. She had the great instinct to know how awkward and clunky it would’ve been to name drop oldies titles.

Back
Top Bottom