Why is this funny....I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an answer! Of course, it may be the Ambien and some 'somehin' to wash it down... (in HK on business AGAIN!!!!), but when you classify this under the Sonny and Cher / Donny & Marie / Brady Bunch "safe comic schtick" that was prevalent and oh-so-saccharine, this fits right in with the genre of pre-taped, sound-track laughter, mass-produced nonsense they called TV entertainment of the mid-70's.

So funny it is!!! Ha ha ha ha ! More Lays potato chips, please!

But for the discriminative Carpenter aficionado, we take solace in Karen's willingness to slap-stick her way through the piece - and most importantly, cherish the reading of that single line at :016 where that rich contralto goes to 'cut away' with the pristine phrasing that rivals the best belladonna's performance of a Sondheim melody.

The rest???? To the cutting room floor!!! :wink:

Something tells me that you don't like "Intermission" either...

I have an answer! Of course, it may be the Ambien and some 'somehin' to wash it down... (in HK on business AGAIN!!!!), but when you classify this under the Sonny and Cher / Donny & Marie / Brady Bunch "safe comic schtick" that was prevalent and oh-so-saccharine, this fits right in with the genre of pre-taped, sound-track laughter, mass-produced nonsense they called TV entertainment of the mid-70's.

So funny it is!!! Ha ha ha ha ! More Lays potato chips, please!

But for the discriminative Carpenter aficionado, we take solace in Karen's willingness to slap-stick her way through the piece - and most importantly, cherish the reading of that single line at :016 where that rich contralto goes to 'cut away' with the pristine phrasing that rivals the best belladonna's performance of a Sondheim melody.

The rest???? To the cutting room floor!!! :wink:

Agreed Barry.

But in fairness to the mid 70's. . . is mainstream variety TV any better 40 years later. Is "America's Next Top Model" any better than this. Both are abysmal, but at least with "schtick" it involves a "gag" persay, the over-emphasis of a dance move. And Karen is simply adorable to watch in anything.

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with Music, Music, Music. And I'm guessing it was Richard, fresh from his break and "all better and REALLY ready to get back in the recording studio"(Feb 4th BBC RADIO 2 1993 10th anniversary interview), who put his foot down on making a special that actually SHOWCASED the talent of one of the best acts in recording history. Karen, I think, would have let the crappy sketches continue. She said. . .AFTER Space Encounters, that the specials were getting "BETTER" each time.

They did need each other. Both riddled with insecurities but both guiding each other. Oh and Barry. . .thanks for that heads up on the low note at 16 secs.

Neil

Yup, the schtick that was performed in the 70's was dumb for the most part. But much of today's TV programming I personally find gag worthy. The writers seem to reject intelligent dialog in favor of sexual innuendo and bodily function humor, IMHO. I really miss old style variety shows that were family friendly, like Carol Burnett. It included schtick, but performers like Tim Conway and Harvey Korman were genius at schtick. K & R were genius at music.

Guess I'm ready to join Harry on his lawn.

Is Karen playing the part of a puppet and John Denver is guiding her hand towards make believe piano keys? Is my interpretation of this clip incorrect?

Karen does look amazing in that beautiful gown and with those stars in her hair. Her vocal sounds live.

Karen does look amazing in that beautiful gown and with those stars in her hair. Her vocal sounds live.
Well, I was referring to her humorous look. It's ok. I've tried explaining slapstick to my husband and he just doesn't get it. But he has a great sense of humor. We're all entertained by different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom