Why isn't TIMELESS doing well on the charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

I see that the latest Billboard ranking, TIMELESS has fallen from 65 to 82.
I thought this CD was supposed to 'cross over' with younger audiences?!
It certainly has been very well promoted.

I know it has been selling very well at my local Starbucks - it is either sold out or there are only two or three copies in its alotted 'bin'. I'm assuming Billboard doesn't count coffehouse sales.

I'm surprised, too, like I said in another thread. I fully expected this to easily get to the Top 20 (I even half-expected it to be Sergio's first #1 ever). I think it's too sophisticated for the rap audiences and too "street" (for wont of a better word) for Sergio's core audience. But that's just my guess.

I do tend to see a lot of copies of Timeless in the stores... Guess it either really isn't doing well, or maybe in the near-future, there might be an Anticipated Demand...! Who Knows??? :help:

Dave

Guess I don't know if Starbucks sales are counted or not. They should be...since a lot of Starbucks are about like a real music store!

I'm not really surprised at the sales, although I thought the first week would have been higher. It hasn't fallen off as fast as I thought it would -- most Rap albums drop fast but this one is steadier probably due to word of mouth.

Maybe when the youngsters saw all the middle aged geezers (like me) lining up to buy a copy, it turned them off.

Mike

Well, there is a lack of discernable figurehead single to push the album. And, if Concord wanted to create more of an nternational buzz around the album, they could have made sure it came out in the UK around the same time as other main markets (still not available here)!

The chart numbers probably came from us "geezers". Any kids who wanted it probably downloaded whatever they wanted, or copied it from their friends or parents.

[sarcasm on]
Why buy an album when you can get the tracks you want for nothing, right?[sarcasm off]

Harry

Well, here's one "geezer" in the UK who would LOVE to contribute to sales.
*gnaws own fist off, cries self to sleep* (sarcasm on).

Well, at my local-Starbucks, there are actually copies of both, that and Stevie Wonder's A Time For Love, not just "For Sale", but to even listen to THERE, while you drink your coffee, as well...!

Dave

I was in a Starbuck's for the first time in a long time yesterday and the rack was full of "Timeless." There was some other group ("The Willies" maybe? does that sound right?), that only had one copy left. Maybe they had just restocked Sergio.

What gets me is that there are THREE Black Eye Peas-Will.I.Am-involved CDs in the top 30: the BEP "My Humps" and "Pump it" (numbers 25 & 24) and The Pussycat Dolls featuring Will.I.Am "Beep" (number 16).

I think Jeff has nailed it. TIMELESS is seemingly too mild to appreal to the mainstream rap audience, while it's too different to widely appeal to Sergio's long-time fans.

Does anyone have access to the SoundScan figures to know exactly how many units Sergio is moving (in industry parlance, LOL). Mike, maybe?

I also think that iTunes is affecting the sales, too... The John Legend fans or Justin Timberlake fans are probably downloading their individual song, and are not forced to buy the whole CD.

I don't know how Billboard can keep track of all the downloads, Starbucks, Amazon, etc...

I do know that Sergio was #1 in the "World" department at Virgin in LA.

All the chart info in Billboard is compiled by Soundscan, a company tht does that sort of thing.

Not all sales are monitored, of course. But enough are that the data is considered a lot more accurate than it was a few years ago before Soundscan came along -- during those days, stores simply reported their best sellers and the figures could be skewed by record company shenanigans. Now, the whole process is largely automated. I would imagine that enough Starbucks locations are included in the samples that their sales are represented. Amazon sales are included for sure, too. Even a teensy store like ours is included, because our warehouse reports all its sales to Soundscan.

As for iTunes, there's no doubt that individual track sales have had an impact on full album sales.

Starbucks is definitely included in SoundScan, and I think you're all right about iTunes having a potential negative effect, which never occured to me - what a drag....I, too, am surprised about the lack of momentum the album is showing. I don't know how long Concord is planning for their promotional push, but certainly if they don't see the results they ant, they'll move on. I thought this project had the potential to cross boundaries - so few do these days. No real single definitely would have an effect as well. The AOL concert, etc. - there's been a lot of push in a lot of areas...

Maybe when they push "Mas Que Nada" as a single it'll give the album a push too...

I would expect that maybe if a follow-up release comes along, (And if IT gets whatever would be better promotion) then maybe Timeless might sell...

You would think that with "Mais Que Nada" occassionally being played in ads, movies and other forms of Media, that it would give this album the boost it really needs...!

Guess TIME will tell... :confused:

Dave

I still like the song, but I don't see why it always has to be at the top of the tune stack. (Although, it DOES have the stuff to open an album, I must admit.)

Being sick of "Mais Que Nada" is just a phase. Don’t worry, in time it’ll pass.

Mike

It's like Carol Burnett's Tarzan Yell. On her show, week after week, an audience member would ask her to do her "Tarzan Yell". And on any Carol Burnett special, they have this 8 minute Tarzan Yell that they have spliced together from all her previous shows.

If they did a Sergio Mendes Special (which would be great!!!) It'll have a 10 minute version of "Mas Que Nada" from the old video of "Lani and Janis" to "Lani and Karen" to "Karen and Gracinha" to... ending with "Will.i.am and Gracinha".

While it's Sergio's signature song, please let it rest...

Timeless is a whole album with many tracks to choose from, why "Mas Que Nada" again?

If they did a Sergio Mendes Special (which would be great!!!) It'll have a 10 minute version of "Mas Que Nada" from the old video of "Lani and Janis" to "Lani and Karen" to "Karen and Gracinha" to... ending with "Will.i.am and Gracinha".

Reminds me of an old Doobie Brothers documentary video I have. It contains a version of "Listen to the Music" that's like that...various live performances of every verson of the band, spliced together. It's actually kind of fun to watch.

I can offer some empirical evidence of the fickle youth audience. TIMELESS has been in the car disc player for 3 to 4 weeks and is usually spinning when I pick up my son from baseball practice or games.
The other day he asked if I'd take it out and put in The Black Eyed Peas' MONKEY BUSINESS instead.
Guess it doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off with kids. I'm glad Sergio managed to get in the Top 200.
The record store racks still have several copies of TIMELESS at full price ($15.99) but a few have been traded in and now sell for $9.99.
JB

..."Sergio, play yo' piano" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom