Why Not?? (Karen re-mix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryT60

Maybe it's the 30th anniversary, maybe it's just that it's an amazingly peppy and addictive track, but after reading the articles here on the solo project, I took several listens in my car lately to Karen's album... One of the tunes I kept hitting 'replay' on was 'My Body Keeps Changin' My Mind'...

Turned it up at the bridge, jammin' away to the point that I was afraid passers by would think I had lost my mind!

But I wondered - who could - or how could we - get some dance DJ to mix up a refreshed variation of this tune and get it out to the clubs...??

Would it not be amazing if Karen could quietly start an undercurrent and have a top hit after all - with one of the disco tunes she wanted to cut?

I seriously think that the cut could thrive with a little loving care and proper distribution to some of the dance clubs; similar to the way Cher hit so hard with Believe. I don't get out much anymore - but I still hear 'I Will Survive' and sevaral throw-back disco tunes when I do - and I truthfully think that people would love this song - with the contagiously fun attitude in which it was meant to be loved.... if only it could find an audience...

Am I just dreaming??

I agree that this song is awesome, i believe it could have been a hit in 1980 for several reasons. It's a great dance track and the 'surprise' factor of Karen singing disco may have got the song AirPlay. But we will never know. A remix now done properly could at least ignite some interest in Karen's solo album AND Carpenters music. Tony Moran? Pete Waterman? Matt Pop?

I agree wholeheartedly. I used to call A&M to get publicity materials for certain albums when I was DJ'ing parties, weddings, etc. in the late '80's through mid '90's. When the solo album finally came out in 1996, I was able to reach Richard's publicist at A&M (I think her name was Liz Morenton).

I expressed that A&M needed to wake up to the potential goldmine they had on their hands with "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind", and that it needed a proper remix to bring it up to speed for club play. I explained that it always got a positive response when I would sneak it in during a '70's disco block while spinning.

She was very gracious and listened with an open mind. Then, she said she didn't think it would happen, but would at least pass on the suggestion to Richard. I figured nothing would come of it, and nothing did. But I still told her the background vocals isolated would be tailor-made for a cool remix heavy on percussion and Karen's leads and backgrounds.

Hey, I tried.

I had mentioned the very same a few years back. Several DJs could play with this ALOT. Lots of unforeseen potential as a club song. The "nice try...next" remixes I hear on YouTube all the time affirm this. It can go two ways: full-out break out the roller skates disco dance ..or...an even funkier, more R&B feel. I love this tune because of the way Karen sings it. In any other hands it would be a toss away, but you can tell that Karen had alot of fun with this one.
In another world I would love to see her reaction when the club-mix (heretofore unheard) of this song starts playing and the entire club spills onto the dance floor, singing and dancing along...

Lots of unforeseen potential as a club song. The "nice try...next" remixes I hear on YouTube all the time affirm this. It can go two ways: full-out break out the roller skates disco dance ..or...an even funkier, more R&B feel. I love this tune because of the way Karen sings it. In any other hands it would be a toss away, but you can tell that Karen had alot of fun with this one.
In another world I would love to see her reaction when the club-mix (heretofore unheard) of this song starts playing and the entire club spills onto the dance floor, singing and dancing along...

There are a couple of half decent try-outs on youtube. The first one below is pretty good (and incidentally includes a picture of Karen that I airbrushed once for a Leadsister thread, at 0m28s).

The first one is pretty good! If a well known DJ could get his hands on it and bring out those background vocals, it would be tremendous.

Loving this feedback - particularly, on Karen's birthday! Happy Birthday, sweet Karen!!

PS / All Because of You - great song for a movie soundtrack.... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom