Why We Chose the Avatar We Did

Mark-T

It dawned on me this weekend that we each have unique avatars. Thought it might be fun to share we why chose what we did. I'll start.

Years back when I was young and broke, I saw this photo of Karen inside the "Anthology" music book. Loved it instantly, and I knew it to be from the Hush photo sessions.

Not having a reason to buy the book as I'm not a musician, I passed on it.

Years later, it came to my mind, so I asked about it on the forum.
Murray had it and graciously sent me a scan of it. So, I adopted it as my avatar.

There's a wistful look on Karen's face with a vulnerability I sensed that I have associated with her in the years since her passing.

Interestingly, I posted it on my blog, and it has become one of the most downloaded images I have.

There's my reasons for choosing my particular avatar. What are yours?

Good idea Mark! I often wonder when I see these images what they mean to the person posting.

My avatar: "It is VERY me, a young man in his skivvies, kicking back and listening to music in his headphones, with not a care in the world!"

The image is called "Sanctuary" and it is a very important place for Introverts. It is part of a larger painting by an artist named Paul Richmond. I'm not into all of his work, but this title caught my attention as it is a special word for me. I've used it in various blogs I've participated in, and it's origin is one of the questions I've been asked the most over the years. The image represents me in a way, but no, it is not me. :)

My avatar comes from the project Karen held dear to her heart: her solo album. I always thought the photo shoot for the album produced some beautiful shots and Claude Mougin did her a great service by really showing how beautiful she was. I often wonder, had the album been released, which photos would have made the front and back of the single sleeves. This picture, of Karen curled up in the purple chair, as well as the photo of her kneeling down in the red jacket, smiling at the camera, are my favourites.

The image itself is the drawing Chris Tassin did of the actual photo. I think he caught her beauty perfectly. That wistful look on her face makes her look beautiful and yet also vulnerable at the same time.

I stole mine off the internet, as well. No special significance to the photo I chose, except I didn't see anyone else with it. She's young (what do the experts say '72, '73?) and looking right in to the camera. She looks happy. Boy, I wish I had half her looks.

I stole mine off the internet, as well. No special significance to the photo I chose, except I didn't see anyone else with it. She's young (what do the experts say '72, '73?) and looking right in to the camera. She looks happy. Boy, I wish I had half her looks.

That’s a snapshot from the video for Please Mr Postman, filmed in 1974 :)

Loved it instantly, and I knew it to be from the Hush photo sessions.

Great topic, Mark! And that's one reason I like your particular avatar: because it is from the Hush photo sessions, recordings near and dear to my heart.

As one of those with a non-Carpenter(s) avatar --- and I may have explained this before --- I chose a place that I like to call "my heaven": It is a photo I took of the Niagara River in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, probably my most favorite travel destination. This photo is taken from an area called the Niagara Glen, a park that includes a network of hiking trails. I love hiking there and climbing down the boulders, where I hang out and enjoy the Class 6 rapids. My vantage point is from a boulder, looking across the river to New York.

As most of us feel, Carpenters' music (Karen's voice) has been such a soothing, comforting, enjoyable presence; and here I am able to combine that presence with a place that gives me those same feelings. I will make that hike to the Niagara River for as long as I am able to do so, just as I will always listen to Karen's voice.

With sentiments by myself and graphically designed by Rudy, my avatar is a modified classic A&M Records logo with the word CORNER replacing the word RECORDS. The slogan on the top, "Preserving The Sound Online" was something I used as a signature in the very early days of this Forum. It's a play on the slogan that appeared on the innersleeves that A&M used with the black & white photos of Ansel Adams, that slogan being "Preserve The Sound Outside". The URL of the forum is on the lower part of the circular border.

Many people have said they feel the "Horizon"-era shots of Karen and Richard are the best, and I agree. Karen, especially, looks young, beautiful, confident, and healthy. No silly ball gowns or "Lawrence Welk" hairdos...no signs of illness. She looks like what she was: One of the brightest pop stars of the mid-70s. It's how I like to picture her when listening to Carpenters music, regardless of the time it was produced.

Mine is a piece of artwork done by an artist friend of mine back in 1989. It's all in pencil and is a lithograph of the original. Only five exist. The artist's original, mine, one given to Richard, another to Evelyne Wallace (if I remember correctly), and one to Agnes and Harold. The sheet music in the background that travel's "through" Karen from left to right is "Goodbye to Love" going in, and no notes coming out. I think that is meant to be a metaphor that Karen has passed (and no more music). It's prominently displayed in my home.

Great idea ! My pic is a signed photo that Richard sent me along with a letter. He even payed for the postage to get it to me in England.
I really like that photo Simon, I also didn't realize it was signed until I just clicked it. I wish Richard would have signed a photo like that for me before he stopped signing stuff, your lucky.

Hi, All! Interesting thread here...I chose mine because the woman with the most incredible voice in pop music is studying a gatefold copy of what I presume to be the newest (sophomore) release from another brilliant musician, Todd Rundgren. "Ballad" is not one of TR's most well-known albums, and to see Richard and Karen pouring over it (like I did when I got my copy) is just one of the coolest and least seen images I've found. Cheers, everyone!

My avatar is a rotoscope I did of one of my favorite Karen pics, from the solo album recording sessions. I love abstract music art and have a couple pieces of it hanging on the wall of my bedroom, a picture of Karen playing the drums that is heavily pixelated and an artist's limited edition lithograph of my second singing drummer idol, Levon Helm. I like the concept of abstract imagery showing people who have gone on, because it makes a statement that the person is here only in memory and has left an imprint behind, not as sharp as when they were here living and breathing. It's kind of hard for a lot of people to understand that sentiment, but I consider it to be a powerful one. A reminder, if you will, that everything must eventually fade away, and that it's very much about what we leave behind when we go. But what we leave behind will never be an adequate replacement for us as human beings who love and are loved.

I can see why Richard chose to release the album cover that he did for the solo album in 1996, a faded, stain-glass like reproduction of one of the pictures from the Claude Mougin sessions. Maybe it's because that part of her time on this earth wasn't clear to him, as he was not personally nor artistically present at that time. And Richard, being the type to internalize things and only see things from his own perspective at times, saw that time as unclear, uncertain and very much not like anything he experienced with his sister. So once again you get an imperfect copy with flaws and lack of definition.

Likewise, having met Karen myself when I was only 3 years old, my memory of her is also hazy and not as clear as if I had met her when I was older. For that reason, besides the music, pictures and videos we have of her being very clear and real, to me she is also sort of a dream. Sure, the impression she left on me is tangible, but it's kinda not at the same time. And when I close my eyes and imagine her, unfortunately, it isn't always crystal clear imagery. That voice, on the other hand, is very real, as if it was right here in the living room with me as I type this post.

What actually happened, seriously... on my wedding day this portal suddenly opened up and out walked Karen, Richard and co.

Richard later spilt a bit of cheesecake on his sweater and this picture was taken as Karen was pointing out the unfortunate stain it had left and Richard was glancing over at my dad, clearly amused by his purple suit.

Actually, I always thought there was someone missing from the original photo and figured it might be fun if it was me. I can dream can't I?!

Back
Top Bottom