Will YOU Pay $18.99?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT? I fail to see the logic of charging an $18.99 list price for a CD that clocks in at less than 30 minutes, in cheap packaging, that contains reissued material and absolutely no bonus material. This is exactly what our "friends" at Universal want us to pay in order to get ahold of the upcoming release of the Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 album Equinox. Will you pay it?

This is one customer they'll never snag. I'm sitting this out and waiting for the inevitable used or promotional copies to hit the stores. I have a problem with paying more and getting a lot less. Look Around, I felt, was worth what we paid for it, being part of Verve's affordable (and late, lamented) "By Request" series.

As much as I'd hate to throw a damper on future reissues of this sort, this is one time I would clearly avoid a CD release such as this one. By not buying it, we send a message to Univer$al that we won't pay for expensive reissues of little value...but on the other hand, Univer$al would take this as a signal that there's no more interest in Brasil 66.

Would you pay the same price if this same reissue had some bonus tracks, some expanded liner notes, an interview with Sergio Mendes 35 years after the original recording was made, and a few other extras? It certainly would justify a higher price.

With list prices going this direction, will a domestic reissue of Herb Alpert Presents... cost us $19.99 list if it's ever released? And will other domestic A&M reissues be priced similarly? As inexpensive as reissued product is to produce, you know Univer$al is raking in a lot of money. I guess this is the price we pay for being the rampant music pirates that we all are. :rolleyes:

-= N =-

Yes,the 18.99 is O U T R A G E O U S but it was always a known fact that this was going to be a frontline series. I may have thought,at the time,$17.99, but I am not surprised by this at all. They are seeing many(us) paying more than twenty bucks plus shipping for import versions of their catalog in similar skimpy packaging(remember,for your nineteen bucks you have that wonderful piece of cardboard along with your disc)and their feeling-do you want it or not is the rule of the industry. And total piece sales for this year are already down 10 percent from 2001,which was a disaster. Yes,staying away from this reissue could jepordize future Mendes catalog(they evidently felt "Look Around" did OK)but the only choice we have(since they wisely shut down the bulletin board) is to stay away from this and the complete Verve reissue line. EMI learned that a wraparound "O" card on one of their great BlueNote titles was not going to warrant a frontline price and within a year the entire RVG series went midline,sans "O" card. Sales of deep catalog is what is keeping BlueNote alive. I downplay the remastering effort on the RVG series since they are usually using 2-track masters and,as Rudy VanGelder said years ago,there isn't much you cand do to improve on something so beautifully simple. Mac

Hey, they have to figure out some way to pay Herb his $250 mil in deflated stock value! :rolleyes:

Yes. I probably will pay whatever for yet another copy of EQUINOX. I have the LP, I have the import CD, but yes, I'll shell out the bucks again for another copy.

Why? It might sound better, and I'm a fan. Those are the only reasons. After getting LOOK AROUND (and feeling a bit silly for it) and then hearing how wonderfully remastered it was, suddenly it was worth every penny. Yes, it was cheaper, but only by a few buck. What am I going to do with those few bucks? Buy Happy Meal at McDonalds? I'd sooner skip that and be happy that someone out there cares enough about the music that I love to re-master and re-release it. That deserves some reward in my book.

But I can fully understand anyone with the opposite viewpoint. I don't think this is a black & white, right or wrong scenario. Do whatever's right for YOU, and don't worry about everyone else.

As for the cheap carboard packaging: I'll probably scan my own cover, place it in a secure jewel-case and file the flimsy jacket in the M section of my CD shelf.

Harry
...ready to shell out again, online...

I'm with Harry on this. After the way LOOK AROUND sounded, I felt it was worth the money too. I don't care too much about bonus trax, they are usually not worth the extra time anyway (with occasional exceptions). I admit to being surprised, though, at this list price. Many other artists more popular than Sergio Mendes have had their catalogs reissued for lists of $11.98 (Santana comes to mind, although he's not on Universal).

The only real "issue" I have is with the packaging. Do we know for sure it's going to be a digipak? Our catalog says "Remastered - Special Packaging," which could be some kind of upgraded package. I hope so.

The main thing to remember is, you don't really have to pay $18.98 for it, unless you shop in Sam Goody's and that ilk. It's already in our computer and we will be selling it for $13.99 on 5/21.

Shoot...CDNow is usually a few bucks lower than list, and they're asking the full ride ($~18.99) to preorder it.

I got the best price on Look Around: got mine as a promo, courtesy of Verve.

From what I remember, this was supposed to be not in a Digipak, but something resembling a miniature LP jacket. (I think Mac may know.)

IIRC, Look Around was a midline, priced similarly to the rest of the "Verve By Request" label. I just think it's way out of line to have Univer$al gouge everyone for full list on something like this.

I'm checking right now to see if I can scam a copy before the release date...will report back if I do...

-= N =-

Mike Blakesley said:
The main thing to remember is, you don't really have to pay $18.98 for it, unless you shop in Sam Goody's and that ilk. It's already in our computer and we will be selling it for $13.99 on 5/21.

Everybody send your check for $13.99 (plus shipping and handling) to Mike, care of the Roxy Theatre, 981 Main St, Forsyth, MT 59327

--Mr B
scratching out his check as he types... :wink:

...or just head to the local used vinyl shop and buy another one for $3. :wink: My vinyl copy is clean enough that, honestly, I have little urge to replace it.

-= N =-

Rudy said:
HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT? I fail to see the logic of charging an $18.99 list price for a CD that clocks in at less than 30 minutes, in cheap packaging, that contains reissued material and absolutely no bonus material. This is exactly what our "friends" at Universal want us to pay in order to get ahold of the upcoming release of the Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 album Equinox. Will you pay it?

I would not pay THAT MUCH for it if I had enough money left for ANOTHER copy afterwards! :mad: Once again, we need a Universal Boycott of ALL Univer$al Products! :evil:

Rudy said:
This is one customer they'll never snag. I'm sitting this out and waiting for the inevitable used or promotional copies to hit the stores. I have a problem with paying more and getting a lot less. Look Around, I felt, was worth what we paid for it, being part of Verve's affordable (and late, lamented) "By Request" series.

My Vinyl Copy of that is Good Enough to call A GOOD LOOK AROUND :)

Rudy said:
As much as I'd hate to throw a damper on future reissues of this sort, this is one time I would clearly avoid a CD release such as this one. By not buying it, we send a message to Univer$al that we won't pay for expensive reissues of little value...but on the other hand, Univer$al would take this as a signal that there's no more interest in Brasil 66.

I think there are other Labels who could more *Faithfully* Reissue A&M's better. Just a matter of the "Right One" to come along. :rolleyes:

Rudy said:
Would you pay the same price if this same reissue had some bonus tracks, some expanded liner notes, an interview with Sergio Mendes 35 years after the original recording was made, and a few other extras? It certainly would justify a higher price.

:idea: Well, Of Course! :wink:

Rudy said:
With list prices going this direction, will a domestic reissue of Herb Alpert Presents... cost us $19.99 list if it's ever released? And will other domestic A&M reissues be priced similarly? As inexpensive as reissued product is to produce, you know Univer$al is raking in a lot of money. I guess this is the price we pay for being the rampant music pirates that we all are. :rolleyes:

I can somehow see that happening, too. If Unilateral's Efforts to force more of their inferior & shoddy products at us like this. :sad:

...And that's just the PACKAGING that's inferior and shoddy !! :cry:

Dave

Gioccho Adesso: Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 "Chove Chuva (Constant Rain)" EQUINOX A&M SP 4122

...On Vinyl Good Enough To Send Univer$al's Crummy Reissue To The Cut-Out Bin In No Time... :cool:

The last set of Verve/A&M reissues sold for $11.99 sealed in the racks around here. Used copies or promos went for $7.99 to $9.99. Except for the 2-disc Chet Baker set, which was $33.00. I'll wait a week or 2 and pick up a used copy of EQUINOX, if I have to wait that long at all.
My mono and stereo LPs still play beautifully.
JB

I am one who probably would have paid $18.99, that is until I saw the post
telling us that Mike B. has it for $13.99. I would much rather send my $$$
Mikes way anyway. :wink:

I've entered a "preorder" at half.com for $8.99 if a used copy comes up. In the meantime, I'm still pushing to get a promo copy of it.

-= N =-
...voting with dollars...

I'd pay the price only because I would hope that Vivendi Universal would start to get the message that this stuff does still sell. Maybe it is the only way they will put out a Herb Alpert- "Warm" on CD, digitally remastered. The whole catalog is just sitting in the vaults.

Hey, SJ! Glad you could make it!

I agree--it's a tough call! I don't like to give them the idea that $18.99 is OK for a release like this one, and yet if nobody buys it, they'll figure old Mendes recordings have no audience.

All the more reason I say we dig up our years-old plans to do a late night raid on the old A&M vaults and do the reissues ourselves. :wink:

-= N =-

Vervemusicgroup.com has a little section for this and the other releases in their "LP Reproduction"series as this batch is titled this time around. You' re supposed to be able to post reviews but it is not recognizing my password-maybe they already know that I want to flame the Wes Montgomery "Willow Weep for Me" for the Claus Ogerman overdubs added after Wes died. Harry or Mike-the Mendes review is pretty lame and could use your TLC so everyone knows the importance of this album. Also,John Pisano is not listed on the web-site listing of personnel, though,since the series is supposed to mimic the LP,the original liners are probably reproduced on the finished product and should include that info in Charles Champlin's brief notes. Mac

Harry or Mike-the Mendes review is pretty lame and could use your TLC so everyone knows the importance of this album.

Consider it done!

I'll post a followup review after hearing the new disc.

Harry
NP: EQUINOX (Japan, POCM-1880)

jimac51 said:
Vervemusicgroup.com has a little section for this and the other releases in their "LP Reproduction"series as this batch is titled this time around. You' re supposed to be able to post reviews

This is dangerous to know--I'll have to remember to blast them for cheap packaging and price gouging. :evil:

-= N =-
...wondering if a mention of UMG's involvement in the price-fixing scandal wouldn't hurt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom