WILLIAMS/NICHOLS: ALL SIDES

WHICH WILLIAMS/NICHOLS SONG IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) We've Only Just Begun 3:04 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 2.) I Kept On Loving You 2:13 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 3.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:40 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • 4.) Let Me Be The One 2:25 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • 5.) I Won't Last A Day Without You 3:47 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I Won't Last A Day Without You"........great mix of overdub harmonies and Karen just hitting those notes which just makes you stop whatever you're doing at that moment......and listen. It's pure pop magic....love it.

I bought the Roger Nichols & Paul Williams We've Only Just Begun SHM CD from Japan and love that track, "Someday Man" I can't figure out why Richard never recorded this because I can really hear him singing it and Karen adding some backing vocals would have been awesome. "Out In The Country" is another track I wish the Carpenters had recorded, that is a really nice tune, so 70's feeling and groovy, I really like how the song changes sound 30 seconds into the song (chorus). This is another track I really hear the Carpenters harmony taking over and really working, the blending of Karen and Richard's vocals would have worked well with this kind of song. It puts me in the same mood/feel as "And When He Smiles"

Speaking of Roger Nichols, another great CD set I bought was "Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends" I also love the bonus disc of mono tracks as well.

Getting back to the topic, my vote goes to "Rainy Days and Mondays"
I always identified with that song and Karen's sadness is expressed so well...only she could accomplish something this moving with so much sentiment that even today it still moves me inside. The song is timeless. I can only imagine what this song would have sounded like hearing her perform it live in concert.

I would have voted, "I Kept On Loving You" because of all the Richard vocals, this one I really love and the clean open on the Singles Box Set was terrific to finally get. However Karen's vocal on Rainy Days just wins hands down for me.

Another brutal poll, brought to you by @Chris May.

:D

It is hard to pick any favorite from the bunch, as it changes daily for me, and I like most of what Nichols has written with and without Paul Williams.

This is more difficult than I thought! The only song that doesn't do anything for me would be "I Kept on Loving You", which doesn't possess the 'timelessness' quality that some posters have ascribed to the remaining gems on the list.

I've always held the belief that Williams / Nichols collaborations are, typically, musically mature works for musically mature / sensitive audiences. It's hard to imagine teenagers as a whole lapping this type of music up in their droves, so it's great these songs were made popular, not least due to some super-skillful songwriting ability, and not through trying to be "poppy".

Note how the great songs "Begun" and "Rainy Days" (and "Won't Last a Day") all clock in over 3 minutes, yet "Let Me Be the One" comes in under 2 and a half. Given this composition is interestingly constructed (albeit with a longish, repetitive ending) - yet remains brilliant, thanks in no small part to the magical bridge - I'm wondering whether they should have added a second bridge. That would have given the song some added substance (making it an even stronger contender as a single release), and still come in around the three minute mark.

Last edited:
Has Richard ever explained why he rejected "Old Fashioned Love Song" (yes, I know, a Paul Williams-only composition)? That one's so clearly tailored exactly to Karen's vocal strengths and to accommodate their layered harmonies...kind of ironic that the one song Williams writes specifically for them, they don't cut.

Toolman, you took the words out of my mouth, as I have always harbored the same thoughts regarding " Old Fashioned Love Song".
The snippet they sing (on The Carol Burnett Show) begs for more.

Hmmmmmm...still NO VOTES for "Let Me Be The One"????!!!! :eek:

What happened to how much we'd expressed our love for that one, how we'd noticed how Karen seems to be singing it as "...LEMME be the one..."????

And more important, how many of us wish it had gotten the '45' treatment to this day...!!!!

-- Dave

Hmmmmmm...still NO VOTES for "Let Me Be The One"????!!!! :eek:
O.K. Dave - I gave it #1 (but don't tell anybody :D)

It certainly is the most intriguing of the lot. Another feature is that I can have it on replay on my car CD player more so than the others, being so listenable. Of all Carpenters recordings that weren't singles, it's arguably close to being top choice of my favourite album cuts.

This being such a hard choice, I had to whittle it down by asking myself, "If I had only one quarter, and these were the five jukebox choices to make, which one would I choose?". And my answer was "I Kept On Loving You". Frankly, I've heard the other songs so many times on so many compilations that they almost go by unnoticed. But I always loved "I Kept On Loving You", not the least because it was different from most other Carpenters songs with Richard in the lead.

So, while the other songs are all great, I have to root for the underdog here. "Let Me Be The One" would be my second choice in this scenario.

Of the hits, "We've Only Just Begun" is probably the best of the lot.

Harry
we must be twins from different mothers... I felt the same way! Almost voted for Kept - but LMBTO won out at the very last second... Karen's vocals there are so intimate on one hand, yet bigger than life on the other...

Tough choice, but I had to pick "I Won't Last...'. Great arrangement, great vocal & it flows perfectly between "Piano Picker" and "Crystal Lullaby". I'll take the original version w/ Richard's added piece from "The Singles 1969-1981". Every time I hear it, I'm in third grade again.

It's Rainy Days. I identified at 8y/o and still riveted at 51. The big finish "always get!!!me dow own. This song has magical properties.

Jeff

I agree, Passenger. LMBTO would be my second choice. It was the "quiet cut" on the disc. That and Hideaway always mesmerized me.

Toolman, you took the words out of my mouth, as I have always harbored the same thoughts regarding " Old Fashioned Love Song".
The snippet they sing (on The Carol Burnett Show) begs for more.
Is that why Old Fashioned Love Song crops up in the Songs of the Carpenters song book? I was always baffled as to why it was included. Still baffled but slightly less so now. Thanks!

Can there be another option that says "I can't get enough of all of these tracks"? Because that's how I feel -- I'm torn between all the selections. :)

"Begun" is their signature song and for good reason -- it's absolutely timeless, that ballad! It's got an upbeat punch and such optimism. Mmmm!
"I Kept On Loving You" is probably my favorite Richard lead. There is just something irresistible in this little song; might be the trumpets and drums!
The rawness, the melancholy, and the flat-out power of "Rainy Days and Mondays" cannot be overstated. This a match made in heaven, no doubt...
I can always imagine Karen singing "Let Me Be The One" to me alone. "Let me be the one you run to... " always and forever, my dear.
"I Won't Last A Day..." a fine Carpenters staple. What's been said about this song already sums it up for me.

Rumbahbah, you mention a rather interesting point in your posting.
I had forgotten about the remark (p.90 Schmidt) by Paul Williams regarding I Won't Last A Day Without You,
and I went back and (re)read it.
(And, I actually have never listened to any other version of the song except Carpenters--it's just that great).
Similarly, notice on his official (?) webpage biography:
PAUL WILLIAMS (Music and Lyrics) is an Oscar, Grammy and Golden Globe winning Hall of Fame songwriter. “We’ve Only Just Begun,” “Rainy Days and Mondays,” “You and Me Against the World,” “An Old Fashioned Love Song” “I Won’t Last a Day Without You” and “Let Me Be The One” are among his timeless standards. His songs have been recorded by such diverse musical icons as Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson, Ella Fitzgerald, David Bowie, Ray Charles, R.E.M., Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughn, Johnny Mathis, Luther Vandross and Kermit the Frog.

The Carpenters are not listed as one of those "diverse musical icons". (Purposeful forgetfulness?).
Information taken from: http://websitedesigns-2-go.com/paul/index.htm

Gary, so true, but they also failed to mention Barbra Streisand. Is she not a "diverse musical icon"? I truly loved the song "I Won't Last A Day Without You" by the Carpenters. I saw that Barbra covered it on her Butterfly album. I started looking for anything by Paul Williams and thrilled that I already owned the best songs thanks to being a Carpenters fan-atic. Barbra's collaboration with Paul on "A Star Is Born" movie soundtrack cemented my fandom for Barbra and Paul. I was surprised to find that Barbra covered "We've Only Just Begun" on her For The Record boxed set. Oh well, I guess Karen and Richard are in good company!

That love never replaced my love of Karen and Richard's timeless collaborations with Paul and Roger. Karen is total perfection and Richard's arrangements make Paul's and Roger's songs timeless.

All that being said, I did vote for "We've Only Just Begun", since it was my very first and certainly not my last Carpenters single. (My sister had the "Close To You" single)

Slightly off topic... I heard Paul Williams recently on "Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast".
You may not want to listen because there is a lot of cussing and subject matter some may not find appropriate.
Search on iTunes if you're interested.
He does very briefly mention Karen indirectly by saying his songs were "sung by an angel..."
If my memory is correct on this...
Also, he mentioned that he was quite pleased with a certain line from "Rainbow Connection".
It happens to be my favourite line from that song too...
"Someone thought of that...someone believed it...and look what it's done so far..."

If you're into Nichols/Williams, then you might appreciate the Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends album. It was released in the late 60s and was clearly part of the same mold that brought us the OFFERING album. The original vinyl is highly sought after, but the album's been out a number of times on CD in Japan and the UK.

514DjT%2BhDDL._SY450_.jpg

The truly best edition to seek out is the Japanese SHM-CD with both the full album in stereo and another disc with the full album in mono. It's still listed at CD Japan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-75172

Harry

I agree with the reasoning of choosing I Won't Last A Day Without You, for those are the very reasons I almost chose it. I choose Rainy Days and Mondays for its iconic status feeling that the library of Carpenters songs would not be the same without it and that Karen sings it with an embedded emotional value unlike anyone who has touched it.

Ahhhh, Roger Nichols. Let me count the ways. Sure, the lyrics are grand... but those melodies! And Roger never does any talking head interviews. His perspective is missed. I agree that the Small Circle of Friends album is essential. You can hear tracks on there that you might imagine The Carpenters tackling: "Let's Ride" for example...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom