Wing covers the Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaflyer98

Have you heard of 'Wing'? She is a, shall we say, a very very different type of singer who has covered music by such artists as the Beatles, ABBA and now the Carpenters. She was recently on South Park. I was tipped off about her by the superb websmisstress over at the Donna Summer fan club.

Go to Wings website...
http://www.wingtunes.com/public/songs.aspx

for a list of her CD's and musical downloads.
No one compares to her.... Thankfully!

P.S. Special Thanks to Cathy at www.Donna-tribute.com

Well, I think I have heard her sing on the 'net before and unfortunately she has not been impressive enough as a singer.

But this time on a second thought, I should cheer her up to learn to sing better in her second language considering her age and background.

You just can't laugh at how poor her singing ability is, but she has covered a wide range of music and at her cost, she has released several cds.
How many of you have you done it so far?

I think she sounds better if you hear some of the audience singing 'Sing' on the live in the Netherlands.
If they were Japanese audience and poor at singing as they were,
I would fear that people in other countries would think all the Japanese people can't carry a song in the bucket.
I'm half joking but half serious about it.

I love this live show on the cd but it's a pity Richard seems uninterested in releasing this kind of material, especially in the US.

Anyway, as for Ms. Wing, I hope she'll have a good singing teacher.

Patrick, I think it's interesting that you have come to know her by way of the webmistress of a Donna Summer site.

Does she know that Karen told Phil Ramone that she loved Donna Summer when he asked her what kind of music she wanted to do?

Patrick, I think it's interesting that you have come to know her by way of the webmistress of a Donna Summer site.

Does she know that Karen told Phil Ramone that she loved Donna Summer when he asked her what kind of music she wanted to do?

I'm not sure she knows that...I'll let her know!

There are several Donna Summer Fans that Love Karen & Richard Carpenter! Karen's name pops up frequently when DS fans talk about other artists they enjoy!

I do know from having John Bettis on my flight from LAX to Nashville in 2000(I'm a flight attendant) that John wanted Karen to have dinner with Donna Summer while she was in New York and talk about the music industry and standing up for yourself in the music business. Mr. Bettis, who wrote "The Woman In Me" for Donna Summer, said to me that he thought Karen could learn from Donna, since she is 'tough as nails' when it comes to standing up to record companies, music execs, and standing up for herself, in general. He said he actually set up a dinner date between the two, but Karen cancelled because she wasn't feeling well.

John Bettis told me he would have loved to have the two singers duet, but knew the logistics of that pairing would be tough to navigate...who would Produce the song, Giorgio or Richard, etc., and it never went beyond his own imagination.

I learned a lot from the ever so gracious Mr. Bettis on that 3+ hour flight! He was so kind to let me talk to him for such a long time!

When I actually had Donna Summer on a flight (also LA to Nashville), about 2 months after Mr. Bettis, she mentioned how she loved John Bettis so much and how talented he is.

Incidently, the reason 'Wing' was on the Donna Summer site was it was posted as the "Summer Fever" pick for April...and it's and April Fools joke.
:laugh: Whether you like Wing or not, you have to Laugh! It's all in the spirit of fun!

Patrick

Who grew up listening to...
CARPENTERS
Donna Summer
ABBA

Wing is an actual singer?? I watched the "South Park" episode last week (which ended with her performing R&K's "Sing") and thought Wing was just a new character. I can't honestly say I liked her singing, but I got to hand it to her for being a good-enough sport about herself to do the show.

That's interesting about the Karen-Donna Summer connection! I don't know that I could quite hear them duetting, or Karen doing Donna-type material (not that Karen didn't have an extremely sexy voice, but Karen doing something like, say, "Love to Love You Baby" would just seem wrong ... :laugh: ), but I certainly love both artists! (Actually, I've been listening to almost nothing but Donna Summer albums this week! Funny that she should come up here suddenly!)

Jeff F.
NP: Donna Summer "Walk Away"

Oops, Wing didn't turn me on but your anecdotes were very intriguing!

Don't tell me those were jokes, too. :D

I love Donna, too. I was glad to know that Karen loved her music, listening to BBC Radio 2 Yesterday Once More: The Story of Karen Carpenter, presented by Mark Radcliffe, in Jan/Feb 2004.

Phil says:
"Why would you wanna make a solo album? Would you continue with the Carpenters?" The rumors were rampant and you say to yourself you know "Do I wanna be in the middle of this or can I get rid of it?
Is it a family squabble?
I don't know anything...So I talked from a musical point of view, and I said, "What, What would you really ideally like to do?"
A voice says,"Well, I love Donna Summer."
Which is the exact opposite of what I would have thought, or Aretha Franklin and Streisand.

I cannot see Karen doing "Love to Love You Baby", but "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" has the same brightness and "swing" of "This Time I Know Its For Real".
Actually, I love both songs- and Donna Summer's great too, in an entirely different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom