Wink Martindale Remembers The Carpenters (Audio CD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

It appears this was released on Feb 16, 2011 yet I don't remember anyone here talking about it?

You can also hear a 11 min interview on yahoo. I don't even remember them being interviewed by Wink Martindale, does anyone? When was this original interview? I wonder if I should order this.

http://www.amazon.com/Wink-Martinda...=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1300642648&sr=1-9

$15.99
Audio CD (February 16, 2011)
Label: Wink Martindale Enterprises, Inc.
ASIN: B004O0VIBM

Wink Martindale Remembers The Carpenters by Wink Martindale & The Carpenters
This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.

Yahoo link with sample interview, click on arrow to play it
http://new.music.yahoo.com/wink-mar...artindale-remembers-the-carpenters--183981045

Wink is mentioned in one of The Carpenters Fan Club Newsletters as follows:

Karen and Richard were recent guests of (the real) Don Steel on LA's new radio station 1OQ who frequently play the long version of Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft. Later this week they will be hosted by Wink Martindale on KMPC another great Los Angles radio station. Wink will review Passage. If you read in a recent movie magazine that Karen and Richard were considering doing a Disney movie, sorry to say, the information is incorrect. They have no plans to do a movie in the near future. Richard was asked to write the music for the recently released Disney film The Rescuers, but other commitments at that time resulted in a reluctant negative answer.

Hope this helps[/url]

While I would've LOVED to hear the Carpenters do a Disney movie, I'm very pleased with the music from "The Rescuers" as it is (though I can only imagine how much MORE gorgeous and heartbreaking "Tomorrow Is Another Day" and "Someone's Waiting for You" would've been with Karen's voice, though I do like Shelby Flint).

I just received my copy of "Wink Martindale remembers the Carpenters". Beware.

The CD is 11:17 long. Wink has basically taken his Carpenters interview from KMPC and cut out all of the music. As a broadcaster, I can hear Wink set up playing a record, only to go on to the next topic. As an interview, it's nice. Wink always did a good job. However, he falls into a mistake many interviewers make. Wink asks questions that he knows the answer to. He is just leading K&R into the next record to be played.

As a moment in time, it's great. K&R are happy and in great spirits. But for $16.00, it's almost insane. It comes out to be $1.40 per minute. This should have been a download for a few dollars. But, the fan that I am, I shelled out the money. It just prooves how hungry I am for anything new from.

Jeff, so then what Yahoo posted online above in my link that is also 11:17 so that is basically the entire CD? What a ripoff, Amazon shows it was a download at one time then became a CD which made me think it was a longer interview on CD.

I ordered this too. :laugh:

The Wink Martindale interviews usually have but modest value as far as depth goes, that we expect, with the rapport he gives with our favorite artists...

I have a Bobby Goldsboro CD featuring 14 out of the 21 "re-recorded" songs he did on another CD, (also available in two separate 11-track volumes w/ one song repeated), with a WM Interview at the end... (And I had it burned onto the end of the 21 re-recorded song collection, too--though that hardly made them more listenable...)

Nothing special, but what I was glad to have, though I'd had it burned onto another CD (a Greatest Hits CD which was a reissue of a Greatest Hits album, minus one song) just to make the interview more worthwhile & onto something I would listen to more often...

Again, the interview was brief and not exactly a real "career coverer", but still something nice to have, though the CD also came w/ a DVD that is a bit more "thorough", and therefore more enjoyable...

Dave

Well I received my copy of this Cd, not much else to say, David is right. What I'm most upset about is the fact it was not described properly in Amazon's right up, it's a bit deceiving. The downloaded version on Amazon tells you the time of the recording 11:17, the CD version does not and with them increasing the price of the CD it appears it may be a longer broadcast or added content not on the download. It is not. I would not recomend purchasing this since it's already online for free.

It's cool to hear Karen so excited and laughing so much it's quite funny to hear her like this and you catch a glimpse of her not usually heard. It's obvious Richard has control over this interview, even answering questions for Karen. Wink is just too robotic in his questions and delivery, comes across as scripted. It's a good thing Amazon accepts returns on this product.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I would not recommend purchasing this since it's already online for free.
Unfortunately for me, Canadians aren't allowed to listen to the audio file on the Yahoo page you linked to. We also aren't permitted to download mp3 files from Amazon.com. Oh well, I would have liked to hear the interview, but not enough to pay 16 bucks + shipping for an 11 minute CD! :rolleyes:

Well Murray today is your lucky day and anyone else interested. I just found this site called The Stu's Show and in his archive he has a radio program from Dec 29, 2009 called:
PROGRAM 156 - 12/23/09 - CHRISTMAS SHOW with Radio Personality WINK MARTINDALE and his famous audiobiographies of THE CARPENTERS and NAT KING COLE

This site is allowing folks to download this archived program for free, of course he is asking for donations. The file is about 54MB and last for about 2 hrs. In the begining of the program Wink Martindale stops by. Stu starts the program with Carpenters Christmas music (so neat to hear Karen on the radio) then about 6 mins into the program Wink starts and talks about what it was like to interview them. He states that he interviewed them on 3 occasions and the one we are to hear is the ENTIRE audio interview of 1971.

Folks you have to hear this because not only is this the same interview from the CD Amazon is selling, this interview is LONGER and contains more that was cut from the Amazon CD. It is also in a calmer fashion so it's more natural. The amazon cd is weird in that it is all spliced up and doesn't flow well at all.

GO here
http://www.stusshow.com/2009.html
Scroll to the bottom 2nd from the bottom.

The catch is you must report back here after you have listened. :D

Wow I'm surprised nobody has commented on this free radio program. I hope you were able to download this one Murray.

If anyone did download it, I would mention that on their homepage it says you cannot put this on YouTube its for personal use. They own the rights to this program.

WooHoo!! :laugh: Thanks for finding this radio program Chris! I downloaded it, and hopefully will have time to listen to it later today. It's going to be so cool to hear something "new" (even though it's 40 years old)!

I posted my findings about the Wink CD's and lack of content on a Los Angeles based radio site. And much to my surprise, Wink himself addressed the issue (well, sort of). Here is Wink's response:

** Wink’s Celebrity Interviews
“ I took note of Jeff Gehringer's email today regarding some of my shows being made available by Amazon.

I was surprised to read this note because the edited interviews referred to from my KMPC days have been available for about 3 years. I have recently signed an agreement with J2 Global Digital [a division of J2 Global Limited] to make my interview shows available WITH MUSIC included. This digital team has years of experience in the global entertainment industry. They are placing my digital shows with the largest and most popular online Digital Music Service (DMS) stores, and most smaller sites too. Downloads on the shows will be available in segments that vary in length between 7 and 15 minutes. The various download facilities include Itunes, AmazonMP3, Rhapsody, Napster, eMusic, AmieStreet, Nokia, Mbop Megastore UK, Virgin Megastore France, Indie Mobile, Jamster, JUNO, MediaNet, LaLa Europe, LimeWire, Deezer, 7Digital, and additional global partners.
For years I have been asked to make these audiobiographies available but there has always been the problem of music clearances. Until now. J2 Global Limited with home offices in the UK has this ability. The first interviews to be released will be the first 20 years of American Bandstand that I did with Dick Clark; Ella Fitzgerald, Nat "King" Cole, Sammy Davis, Jr, The Beach Boys, Rosemary Clooney, Glenn Miller, Perry Como, Peggy Lee and Frank Sinatra & Friends, Neil Diamond, and Vic Damone.” – Wink Martindale

In case anyone missed it, on this same terrific site I mentioned above, in the archives section for 2008 program #94 from Oct 01, 2008 there is a nice interview by Cubby O'Brien (we all know him from the drum player with Carpenters) in this interview on the 2nd hour he talks about his days with Carpenters and they play the song Top of the World of which he plays drums on, he also talk quite frankly about Karen and her passing. It's pretty moving, I've not heard this interview before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom