Wish list: U.S. Singles 45 Box Set*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

The Carpenters Japanese Singles Box set was released in 2006 and it contained 33 Japanese Singles. I was looking at David's site with the U.S. singles and it looks like there were 34 US Carpenters single releases.

Since we know what differences appear on the Japan version, if we had a US singles box set released I was wondering what would be different? We know how the Japanese went to great lengths to get this set done right? For the US, who would have all the original singles master tapes?

I know that on the US 45 of Look to your Dreams it is the edited short version that does not contain the sad piano ending by Richard. I also know that I have a US 45 of Your Wonderful Parade that contains a different lead in by Richard that was shortened but unsure if that was a fluke or if all 45's were like that.

What would be the other differences?
Would the set be worthy enough to purchase unless they contained some mono's as well?

I also know that I have a US 45 of Your Wonderful Parade that contains a different lead in by Richard that was shortened but unsure if that was a fluke or if all 45's were like that.

The 45 I own of "Ticket To Ride" b/w "Your Wonderful Parade" is different from yours. While it too is mono, the opening lead-in speech on "Your Wonderful Parade" from Richard sounds just like the LP version, but in mono.

Would the set be worthy enough to purchase unless they contained some mono's as well?

It's funny. Just this week I was playing around with those mono mixes and cleaning them up a bit.

Harry

The 45 I own of "Ticket To Ride" b/w "Your Wonderful Parade" is different from yours. While it too is mono, the opening lead-in speech on "Your Wonderful Parade" from Richard sounds just like the LP version, but in mono.

That's interesting. I have two copies of the "Ticket to Ride" single, and both contain the same alternate intro to "Your Wonderful Parade." I've never heard a mono single with the album introduction.

That's interesting. I have two copies of the "Ticket to Ride" single, and both contain the same alternate intro to "Your Wonderful Parade." I've never heard a mono single with the album introduction.

It is odd. It would indicate at least two different pressings of the single - perhaps different pressing plants - and each had different masters. Perhaps they thought no-one cared about a b-side.

Harry

Harry, can you describe the 45 you have of Ticket to Ride/Your Wonderful Parade. Is that a white label promo, does it list the run time on the label?

I'm sure we talked about this before but I also didn't know that a US pressing on 45 of Your Wonderful Parade contained an album version lead in.

These are the 2 I have on 45 both contain the alternate intro both are backed w/ Ticket to Ride:
1. Ochre label color 1142 Your Wonderful Parade time 2:45
2. White label promo 1142 Your Wonderful Parade time 2:45

Lately I have been revisting these 45's, taking them out for a spin (which I have not done in a while) and really enjoying all the mono 45's. I really feel that we stumbled into something special years ago. It still amazes me how Karen's voice can come out of a piece of plastic and on some of these mono's and it can sound better than anything I've heard before.

I went to a local record store in my area which I did not even know existed, it was a ways to get there but was so much fun going through all the boxes and boxes of 45's, I was there for hours. :) I ended up finding a test pressing 45 and also some white label promo's of Olivia, a rare one of Totally Hot with an extended version of John Farrar extended guitar solo.

As a side note, I was going through all my 45's and didn't realize I now have in my possession (2) 45's of Honolulu City Nights, both are on the memories label but one is a promo and the other is not. I didn't realize I had that promo copy in my record box.

I think I have Harry to blame for my obsession with 45's now. :laugh:

My "Your Wonderful Parade" single is an ochre label, catalog #1142 with a timing listed of 2:45. I think it's longer than that though, but I've never timed it.

The deadwax writing lists this:

"A&M 1881-18" then an MR in a circle (indicating a Monarch pressing) and then a triangle character followed by 78673.

Here's a picture of the label:

AM0001.jpg

Harry

Yes. Both "Rainy Days" and "Superstar" had mono promo 45s. Between Chris and I, we managed to find them all except any evidence of a "Close To You" mono or a shortened "Calling Occupants" in mono.

Harry

^^Got it from that Mark guy that was selling stuff a while back. If that's what you're talking about. I wonder what other one's are out there and if there's enough to make a 2nd disc?

It took me a min to find it but here is a cool thread about that Superstar Promo b/w Bless the Beasts & Children, it turned out that both sides of this promo were mono.
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/threads/superstar-bless-the-beasts-and-children-promo.4306/#post-37216

It's so cool when you find things like this. The best part...these 45's are not extremely hard to find, you can still find alot of ebay dealers/record stores who have been selling 45's for years and years and most of them have these promo's, over time any fan can manage to collect them all. They are quite amazing.

Here's my "Superstar"/"Bless..." single:

AM0002.jpg

AM0003.jpg

[Edit: I see Chris and I are thinking alike!]

Harry

That's OK. By the way, I edited this thread title so casual visitors don't think there actually IS a US single Box Set!

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom