Wish list

Song4uman

When you have almost everything imaginable in your Carpenters collection, what is one item that you would still like to find??

Jonathan

One of Karen's drum kits and I think Richard still has a few of them in storage. The "Carpenters" neon that was used on stage during the 1974 tour of Japan would look great on my roof for the holidays if it's still around!

My Carpenters collection is pretty complete, but there are a few things left to fill it out. I agree with the invitation and the drum set, but realize that the possibility of those are pretty remote. I am still looking for the Magic lantern 45, the Offering reel to-reel tape, and the Battle of the Bands record. They are kind of rare, but would certainly fill out my collection.
Happy hunting,
Regards, Chas

I have too many things to list...something with an original signature by Karen and Richard would be a great addition to my otherwise limited (memorabilia) collection.

Oh, genie of the lamp...I have three wishes!

1) Richard announces that he is working on RPO Vol. 2
2) Richard announces that he is working on a Carpenters "Unplugged" release where he is taking their original vocals and recording new stripped down, intimate arrangements.
3) As others have mentioned, all the TV Specials properly remastered and released on DVD. BTW, they can do digital restoration that will make old video look almost as clear and detailed as current HD.

2) Richard announces that he is working on a Carpenters "Unplugged" release where he is taking their original vocals and recording new stripped down, intimate arrangements.
With all "double-tracking" of lead vocals removed and new extended piano accompaniment by him - and the songs would have to be selected with care - they wouldn't and shouldn't be just the hit singles...

3) As others have mentioned, all the TV Specials properly remastered and released on DVD. BTW, they can do digital restoration that will make old video look almost as clear and detailed as current HD.
There’s zero way that the tapes would give detail as clear as current HD, unless the specials were shot on film (highly doubtful, since all the released TV special video’s, especially “Ave Maria” that feature’s “comet trails” from the candles due to the old tube camera’s that were being used to record the specials in the 70’s & 80’s). But as we saw back in 1994 with the reissue of Without A Song, if the original tape masters still exist, the specials could be digitally recompiled for cleaner edits (on WAS, if you look at the last shot, it is different from what you see on YouTube uploads of the special, and the whole video looks sharper than the other videos on the collection (and for 70’s composite video editing), especially the part where you have the four videos in the four corners) of the specials.

There’s zero way that the tapes would give detail as clear as current HD, unless the specials were shot on film (highly doubtful, since all the released TV special video’s, especially “Ave Maria” that feature’s “comet trails” from the candles due to the old tube camera’s that were being used to record the specials in the 70’s & 80’s). But as we saw back in 1994 with the reissue of Without A Song, if the original tape masters still exist, the specials could be digitally recompiled for cleaner edits (on WAS, if you look at the last shot, it is different from what you see on YouTube uploads of the special, and the whole video looks sharper than the other videos on the collection (and for 70’s composite video editing), especially the part where you have the four videos in the four corners) of the specials.

Yep. If the info isn't there in high-def, you can't make it high-def. If there are only 480 lines of resolution, that's all you ever get - artificial sharpening notwithstanding.

Ed

Yep. If the info isn't there in high-def, you can't make it high-def. If there are only 480 lines of resolution, that's all you ever get - artificial sharpening notwithstanding.

Ed
Also, it’s the camera’s and VTR’s that were used. This sounds like “stone knives and bear skin” technology now, but prior to 1985 all video camera’s were using video tubes (1930’s vacuum tube technology) to convert the optical into electronic. So the old tube camera’s were always the sharpest in the center of the image, and then got soft out towards the edges (when the zoom was all the way out—-closeups would look sharper because you’ve optically zoomed into the center and fixed your focus). 1985 saw the introduction of computer chips into camera’s to get rid of the tubes, and the chips created a sharp image across the whole screen, not just in the center. So all the Carpenters videos, aside from and Richard solo’s, would have only the center be sharp and the outsides blurry. Unless the stuff was shot on film, in which case film camera’s did not use video tubes to crreate the optical negative, so they are sharp all across the picture.

Also in the 70’s, it was only NTSC or PAL Composite videotape that most studios recorded to. Y/C component tape was only being introduced with U-Matic in 1971, where they could record the black & white and color separately. Composite was a very noisy system and introduced a lot of artifacts into the signal. Just look at the Perry’s Como Christmas special, most of the time Karen’s hair has no detail in it—-you can’t see the individual hair strands unless they are near her face where the focus was the best.

Back
Top Bottom