Would love to hear on vinyl

Song4uman

This may already be in a thread, but I don't remember reading it before.

What songs, released only on CD, would you love to hear released on vinyl?

My picks would be:
Tryin to Get the Feeling
Solitaire - single version
1980 Music, Music, Music medley
Rode Ode - the 1990 remix
I Can't Make Music - the remix with added echo
Medley from 1976 - Superstar/Rainy Days
Hits medley from 1976
My Body keeps changing it's mind
Make Believe - solo version
Last one singing the blues

thoughts?

JOnathan

Also I believe that “Trying To Get The Feeling Again” was issued on 45 vinyl in the UK.

But it would be nice if Karen’s solo and “As Time Goes By” were issued on vinyl.

Also the 1990 remix of “My Body Keeps Changing My Mind”—-maybe it could be a 12-inch Dance single featuring the solo mix, the 90 mix and a couple of other new remixes, maybe one that runs for 7 or 10 minutes.

I would love Karen's Solo album and As Time Goes By on vinyl!

I`d also love to have Karen` solo album on vinyl, especially 180g :)
one things always annoyed the hell out of me about Karen` solo album and the fact that Richard and A&M `persuaded` Karen to shelve it because they didn't think it was good enough, yet Richard seemed to find they were good enough to release under the `Carpenters` banner on `Lovelines` :)

By the way,
Why was
Trying To Get The Feeling Again

released as a UK-45 vinyl single, yet, not as a 45 vinyl single in the USA ?

And, too,
Why was Interpretations cd shortened to 16 tracks (from 21) for USA ?
(UK release October 3,1994 and USA release February 7,1995).
The cd-single was released UK 21 November 1994 "being hotly tipped as a possible Winter #1"

It started off with 21 tracks in 1994 in the UK. In the USA changes were made to “Trying” and From this moment on.

It was skimmed down to 16 tracks in the USA.

In 2001 it was released again with the remastered classics series with the black cd label and red letters. It had the original respective track list unaltered.

The UK single used the USA remix.
In the USA The Track got a CD-Single instead of a 45. Americans had given up on vinyl by then (at least for the time.) It was a single here too.

The question though is why?
Universal trimmed the number of tracks on the US release to reduce royalty costs. Either royalty rates in the US were higher than in the UK, or they anticipated lower sales (and thus lower profit margin) in the US. This attempt at cost cutting is the reason why the US release of "As Time Goes By" was delayed for so long. Universal planned to reduce the number of tracks on the US version of that album, but Richard refused to allow it, and he actively lobbied Universal execs to release it as he originally intended. By the time they gave in, most American fans had already imported a copy from either Japan or the UK.

Universal trimmed the number of tracks on the US release to reduce royalty costs. Either royalty rates in the US were higher than in the UK, or they anticipated lower sales (and thus lower profit margin) in the US. This attempt at cost cutting is the reason why the US release of "As Time Goes By" was delayed for so long. Universal planned to reduce the number of tracks on the US version of that album, but Richard refused to allow it, and he actively lobbied Universal execs to release it as he originally intended. By the time they gave in, most American fans had already imported a copy from either Japan or the UK.

I think you're right on this. I've noticed that the US versions of some greatest hits CDs by other artists have fewer tracks than the UK release and the difference isn't down to songs being a hit in one country and not the other. What is strange with Interpretations is not only did they cut the number of tracks on the US version, but they also replaced some of the other tracks too.

There was definitely no US single release of 'Trying to Get the Feeling Again' though. The UK only got the single a couple of months after the album had come out, which surely had a negative impact on its sales as fans already had it on the album so had no need to buy the single as well.

In 2001 it was released again with the remastered classics series with the black cd label and red letters. It had the original respective track list unaltered.
I think that was only in the UK (might've been in Canada as well, since Canada originally got the longer version which was strange, as Canada usually gets what the US gets) that it was reissued as part of the Remastered Classics line. Otherwise, I don't think it was reissued in North America. I'm kind of surprised that in the UK The Singles 1974-1978 album wasn't added to the Remastered Classics line.

I think that was only in the UK (might've been in Canada as well, since Canada originally got the longer version which was strange, as Canada usually gets what the US gets) that it was reissued as part of the Remastered Classics line. Otherwise, I don't think it was reissued in North America. I'm kind of surprised that in the UK The Singles 1974-1978 album wasn't added to the Remastered Classics line.
None of the Remastered Classics series ever got an official Canadian release. The copies sold by Canadian retailers were manufactured in the US - the ones I recall seeing at HMV and Sam The Record Man, had a sticker on them that said "Universal Special Import". It's my understanding that the words "Remastered Classics" didn't appear on the UK reissues - the edge of the tray insert said "Digitally Remastered" instead (can any of our UK members confirm if this is correct?). Both the "Remastered Classics", and "Digitally Remastered" inserts showed "Interpretations" as being part of the respective series.

Does a "Remastered Classics" Interpretations even exist? Or a "Digitally Remastered" one? If anyone here owns a copy of either, please upload some photos. Does it have 16, or 21 tracks?

From the UK, here's the INTERPRETATIONS "Digitally Remastered"

scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg scan0004.jpg

The trimmed-down track list is something that has plagued Beatles fans for years. The US recording industry pays royalties on a per-track basis, whereas the rest of the world pays on a per-album basis. This meant that while the Beatles wanted 14 tracks on their albums, the US-based Capitol always trimmed them down to 12 or 11, and then made more albums to sell. So while US teenagers were grooving to BEATLES '65 or YESTERDAY AND TODAY, the fans around the world mostly only got the standard Beatles albums like BEATLES FOR SALE or WITH THE BEATLES.

INTERPRETATIONS ran into this same snag. Richard made it with 21 tracks, but PolyGram in the US didn't want to pay out all of the royalties for 21 individual tracks, so they trimmed it down to the 16 that we did get. Richard also utilized the timing-extension difference to do his couple of tweaks.

None of the Remastered Classics series ever got an official Canadian release. The copies sold by Canadian retailers were manufactured in the US - the ones I recall seeing at HMV and Sam The Record Man, had a sticker on them that said "Universal Special Import". It's my understanding that the words "Remastered Classics" didn't appear on the UK reissues - the edge of the tray insert said "Digitally Remastered" instead (can any of our UK members confirm if this is correct?). Both the "Remastered Classics", and "Digitally Remastered" inserts showed "Interpretations" as being part of the respective series.

Does a "Remastered Classics" Interpretations even exist? Or a "Digitally Remastered" one? If anyone here owns a copy of either, please upload some photos. Does it have 16, or 21 tracks?
I kept the stickers that came with my discs that I bought back between 2000 and 2006 from major stores like HMV and CDPLUS.com and even a few smaller stores, like Legend Records in Ottawa (and this was from their New Stock section, not their Used section) my copies of Ticket To Ride & Close To You had the Universal Special Import Sticker, A Kind Of Hush just had the 30th Anniversary and the big 5 star "The Carpenters Remasters" sticker, and Made In America & Yesterday Once More had no stickers (MIA I bought in Winnipeg in 2000 with CTY & AKOH at the same HMV store, YOM I bought at Legend Records in 06). Funny thing with YOM is that the side panel says "Digitally Remastered". My YOM Disc 1 was made in Germany by EDC, but my Disc 2 was made in Germany by Universal M&L according to the laser etching on both undersides of the discs. The rest of my RC discs have no labelling as to where they were manufactured.

INTERPRETATIONS ran into this same snag. Richard made it with 21 tracks, but PolyGram in the US didn't want to pay out all of the royalties for 21 individual tracks, so they trimmed it down to the 16 that we did get. Richard also utilized the timing-extension difference to do his couple of tweaks.
So why did they change 2 songs? Cheaper royalties? Since really they deleted 7 tracks and then added 2, which makes no sense if they were trying to save on the royalties.

Back
Top Bottom