XenForo 1.2 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements, Forum Business & Help Desk' started by Rudy, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    We have upgraded the forum to version 1.2 of XenForo, which brings about several improvements. Please read carefully, as there will be some important changes to the system.
    • One of the more welcome changes is that XF 1.2 has a new text editor! It is now based on Redactor rather than TinyMCE. What this means is that the editor is not only faster and more lightweight, and cleaner looking, it performs better when composing messages. Some of the nastier issues of TinyMCE (which I have fought with not only in XenForo but many other web applications I work with) are a thing of the past, and pasting in a message with formatting will paste much cleaner now.

• Uploading attachments (for those with attachment capabilities) is now as easy as dragging an image from your computer to the editor window, or, copying an image on your computer to the clipboard and pasting it into a message. In addition, we are re-enabling the Flash uploader, as it works for most users. If the Flash uploader does notwork for you, you now have the ability to turn it off in your user settings. For devices that do not support Flash, the forum will automatically load the non-Flash version for you.

• If you are/were a user of our RSS feeds, XF 1.2 now adds an excerpt of the post with the thread titles.

• You can now watch an entire forum area (such as our Small Circle area) by subscribing to it the same way you subscribe to threads. Due to volume, we have it set up to alert members about new threads only. Simply choose "Watch Forum" at the top of a forum's thread listing.

• The staff will now be able to merge user accounts. If you know you've got a duplicate account and would like to merge them, contact a staff member for assistance!

• With the new forum, we set the permission to allow users to edit or delete their post within a short amount of time without staff intervention. XF 1.2 adds the ability for users to edit their own thread title within the same time limit. This is great for correcting errors!

• The Conversations system has a few new enhancements. The feature is now split into tabs for easier navigation, and you have the ability to "star" important messages (like you can do in Gmail). There is also bulk message actions, letting you delete, star/unstar, leave, etc. a conversation. You can also filter conversations based on the sender or recipient. Participants in the conversation are also more clearly listed in more places.

• And speaking of conversations, you can now also search your conversations! We have waited for several years for this ability, and now we have it, thanks to a nice new add-on that adds conversations to our search index.

• Finally, XF 1.2 now uses a "responsive" layout. What's that? This makes XenForo accessible on any device, from the narrowest of smartphones to the widest of desktop displays, all without needing us to maintain separate "mobile" themes or use third-party apps to access the forum. With XF 1.2, you can try this right in your browser: you can resize your browser's width, and watch the forum elements rearrange themselves based on the browser width. Very slick! This is also made possible thanks to the new Redactor text editor, which is mobile-friendly and works properly. Text styling, attachments, even smilies are now fully functional and viewable on any device; in other words, you get the full forum experience no matter how you access it!

Because of the new responsive layout, and due to numerous security and privacy issues,we are discontinuing support for Tapatalk and Forum Runner. We have a separate thread here in the Forum Business area with all of the details.
    XenForo is improving greatly with every update! Keep in mind that there are still some features we may not yet have, but through the use of add-ons we can often add the functionality back in. And at the pace XenForo is being developed, a lot of our suggestions are being implemented in future versions or developed by third party add-on developers.

2. Chris Mills

Chris Mills Well-Known Member

Much easier to read on a smart phone, and I've got a great A&M Corner logo on my home screen

Rudy likes this.
  3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory New Member

I find it easier on my laptop to use things like emoticons and certainly the improvements in Conversation handling are well worth having imho.

4. Rudy

US
    :wave: Fancy meeting you here! :D

5. I don't see links to the A&M Corner Store or the various discography sites. Am I missing something?

=Mike A.

6. Rudy

US
    We're all missing something, as I haven't had time to recreate the sidebar with those links. :laugh:

I was hoping to upgrade the forum within an hour, but it turns out that the "portal" we are using temporarily as the site's home page had a major upgrade itself, and had to be completely uninstalled, which meant purging any customizations or settings from the database. This portal seems a little more flexible but ultimately, I want to ditch it completely and use WordPress to power the rest of our site(s). Our Carpenters site is running on WordPress, so our main A&M site may look a bit similar, but it will also be unique. I'm waiting for a proper "bridge" that will tie the forum into WordPress so we can still promote certain threads on our site's home page.

I upgraded a "big board" forum (8 million+ posts, 1000+ users online at peak, etc.) and am still trying to work the kinks out of that one. So once I get the forums all settled in, I can get these site links back up. Another couple of days should do it. :D

7. Thanks, Rudy. Of course I have no idea of the complexity of all this online forum jazz, and thank goodness you continue to give us A&M nuts a nice garage to hang out in. All hail Our Fearless Leader!

I was looking for the Store section so I could use it as an Amazon order portal. Gotta keep those little affiliate payments coming to the Corner.

=Mike A.

8. Rudy

US
    Actually, any Amazon link you click on now will automatically go over to Amazon with our affiliate code attached. In fact, the word "Amazon" may already be automatically linked in one of our posts here in this thread!

9. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

I am missing all the text editing tools -- so no bold, no italics, no underscore, no smilies, no buttons at all in the "post" box... :sad:

10. As I mentioned in the other thread, I see all of that stuff in both my Chrome browser and my IE10 browser (Windows 7).

I DO NOT see it on my android smartphone, however. I just get a plain text box with no formatting controls at all, but then I really don't want all that junk on a small android screen, nor am I likely to be uploading photos or using bold text while out and about.

Are you still on a Windows platform, or have you officially gone over to the dark side?

Harry

11. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

Still on Windows for now.

My personal windows laptop is done, finished, caput, so I'm using the Navy network here at work and at home using my command issues Mac laptop until I scrape enough $ together to finally go totally to the dark side.

The Navy network is xp-based (and will be for some time) and uses IE version 7 (and, again, will for some time). The Mac runs OSX (Lion)...

--Mr. Bill

12. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Active Member

I favor business line PC laptops from a durability and longevity perspective. I have better luck with them on lifespan than their consumer counterparts.

13. Are we up to Xenforo 1.2.2 yet?

I just noticed that that update fixes some bugs in IE11 with the editor function. Hopefully that would fix the dropped keystrokes I'm experiencing.

14. Rudy

US
    1.3 is imminent. I may install the release candidate version here if I'm too impatient to wait.

They have tweaked the Redactor editor a bit, so it should help responsiveness in typing.

15. Rudy

US
    Two opposites. @Mr Bill 's issue is one where the editor is missing. And @Harry has issues when the editor is present.

If there are pauses in typing, as happens with some browsers, you an turn off the rich text editor. I am doing more of that now, and I'll then hop into the rich text editor to add what I need. Or if the rich text editor is turned off, you can turn it on.

There are two places where you can switch between the two. Under your user menu, look for Preferences. Click that and it will take you here:

upload_2014-3-11_10-3-0.png

Unselecting "Use the rich text editor ......... " will remove the editing box with all the choices completely, with no option to turn it back on unless you return to your Preferences.

If you are typing a message, the rich text editor can be turned off and on with a button and a link. This button will switch you over to the plain text editor:

upload_2014-3-11_10-9-15.png

Whereas the Use Rich Text Editor link will take you back to the editor (bottom left corner of the window):

upload_2014-3-11_10-10-40.png

You might want to hop out of the rich text editor while composing a longer message, if it is giving you issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.