Ye-Me-Le lyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lyrics are in the SERIE GRANDES NOMES box set, I think...I'll try to get time to transcribe them here in the next day or so. Agreed, it's a great song and one I never get tired of hearing.

Wow! Great minds think alike! I was just thinking of it, along with "Wichita Lineman" (which I do know) and if only I had the words to "Righteous Life" and "Stillness"...! :wink:

Dave

The lyrics to "Ye-Me-Le" are also included in the Japanese issue of the YE-ME-LE CD.

YE-ME-LE
(Luis Carlos Vinhas/Chico Feitosa)

Yé-Melé iá ia lá
Yé-Melé iá lá
Canto de Iemanjá
Saveiro savá mele melá
Ilé olá
Onda do mar

A rainha mãe do mar
Traz o seu amor
Sua bênção vem me dar
E eu dou uma flor
Yé-Melé iá ia lá
Yé-Melé iá lá
Canto de Iemanjá
Saveiro savá mele melá
Ilé olá
Onda do mar

©April Music, Inc.-(ASCAP)

Given the Japanese penchant for errors in English lyrics, I can only assume that the same would be true for Portuguese lyrics. So since this is a direct copy from the Japanese album, and I don't speak Portuguese, the accuracy can't be guaranteed.

Harry

I have the Japenese edition too - maybe that's where I saw the lyrics. At any rate...I didn't get a chance to look last night; we had a major thunderstorm blow through here, with high winds and hail, and a power failure that lasted most of the evening. We had a movie theatre full of people when it happened. So I spent most of last evening in "damage control" mode, followed by a lenghthy tour of looking around town at all the downed trees and etc. The freeway past town was even partially closed for awhile due to water on the road.

Thanks for the lyrics Harry...I have often wondered the same thing about the accuracy of the Portuguese myself.

Brasil6699 copied the original sheet music with the following lyrics. Apparently. some of the lyrics are based on the Yoruba language.

Yê-Melê ariará
Yê-Melê ará
Yê-Melê ariará
Canto de Iemanjá

Zauê Zauá
Melê Melá
Indê-olá
Onda do mar

Ah, Rainha mãe do mar
Traz o seu amor
Sua benção vem me dar
E eu dou uma flor

Based on what little I know of these languages, the ones Trevor posted looks more authentic to the way the record sounds.

Harry

Agreed here. I always wondered if those Japanese transcriptions of the Portuguese lyrics were any more trustworthy than the English ones. Looks like not.

It's surprising they can't find the REAL lyrics from the publishing company or whoever when making a CD release. What with this being the information age and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom