Ye-me-le, single mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
A while back, someone posted a link to a "Ye-me-le" video on Youtube. It's been removed now, probably because it's copyrighted as part of the MUSIC SCENE programs, which have been available on DVD.

My question is about the version of the song as it appeared on that program. It sounded like a different mix to me, perhaps a 45 single mix, which was still fairly common then. Since I don't have the 45 of "Ye-me-le", can any of you out there who do have it, confirm that the 45 is indeed a different mix than appears on the album?

Or was it just a case that something was altered for the MUSIC SCENE appearance? Perhaps an augmentation of the track specially done for the TV show?

Harry

I have downloaded that version of the song from Music Scene. What I heard was a basic mono mix of the song, and Sergio playing a live piano with the microphone set in the piano and whatever back ground noise the microphone may have picked up: Lani softly singing (you can hear her in the fade, but that's about it) and Karen VERY SOFTLY singing (realistically inaudible), Rubens' congas, etc...

Same with Wichita Lineman.

The 45 of Wichita Lineman and Ye-Me-Le are essentially mono mixes of the album version.

Hope this helps Harry.

Trevor.

I have them both, too--the acoustic piano overlay is especially noticeable in Wichita Lineman.

They are the same mixes and I have to say the 45s I have of both of these are stereo--don't know if that's unusual or not.

Thanks Trevor and Jeff. I knew something was different, and since it was from the basic era where Sergio had a single mix for "For What It's Worth" I thought maybe I was missing something without the 45.

So the thought is that there was a little augmentation going on in the TV studio to the playback of the studio track?

Harry

There's no question, Harry--Sergio is definitely playing live acoustic grand over the pre-record. Lani and Karen are singing along very softly (almost imperceptibly) with the existing recorded vocals. Frankly I haven't paid much attention to Rubens and the rest of the gang--I don't remember hearing anything different there, but I'll go back and check.

You know the funny thing about all of this, Music Scene advertised itself (heavily, as I recall) as featuring only "live" performances. I guess their definition of "live" was a little variable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom