YE-ME-LE The Gimmicks of Sweden vs Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66`

kevin_pincay

I have discovered a version of a band, I suppose Swedish, of the song YE-ME-LE, which I find very interesting. Which one do you prefer?

Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66`:
The Gimmicks version:

Personally, I prefer the instrumentation of Gimmicks but with the voices of Brazil 66`.

Nice - although the weird processing on that YouTube is hard to listen to. But I like the arrangement and harmonies.

Dusty Groove had The Gimmicks' albums (I think I have two) for sale for a long time, they might still. Of course one of the gold standards of Ye Me Le is Elis, IMHO:

Brasil '66 wins the best album cover, though. Gutsy choice, as I can well imagine it was a bit off-putting to a segment of their fans.

Brasil '66 wins the best album cover, though. Gutsy choice, as I can well imagine it was a bit off-putting to a segment of their fans.
I don't know if it was off-putting. I wondered at the time why that particular piece of art, but then, having been exposed to a couple of years of CTi LPs, I didn't expect to see the artist on every cover.

While I was never thrilled with the original cover for YE-ME-LE, I was absolutely aghast at the cover issued by Pickwick!
1637765731614.png

That always reminded me of a bad outtake from a Peter Gabriel costume:

1637767810463.png

In the old James Bond movies, SPECTRE did not tolerate failure. Whoever gave the okay for that Pickwick cover should be introduced to Mr. Blofeld!!
Besides Crystal Illusions, whose cover art they kept, did Pickwick ever get their claws into other A&M artist's recordings?

This 2-LP combo of CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS and YE-ME-LE is no prize when it comes to artwork!

1637848810403.png

This 2-LP combo of CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS and YE-ME-LE is no prize when it comes to artwork!

1637848810403.png
My college roommate actually found this set back in 1981or 1982 when he was visiting with his parents one weekend in northern Virginia. His parents really liked the music.
He knew of Brasil'66 from my playing the albums.
If I remember right, all of Crystal Illusions was on this set but one song from YeMeLe was missing.

Thanks Harry. I had fun looking at that thread. A couple of them really surprised me.

1637848810403.png
Harry,
I was in several thrift stores looking for old A&M records. I saw a number of records on PickWick(none on A&M) but none of them had covers as bad as these two for Brasil'66. All those that I saw were normal artist covers.

Back
Top Bottom