Ye-Me-Le

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortnee

Who is man shouting "Ha" on Ye-Me-Le"?
Who plays the flute on Ye-Me-Le?
Who recorded Ye-Me-Le first, Sergio Mendes or Elis Regina?

Hermeto Pascoal is the flautist on Ye Me Le. I don't think I've ever heard Elis sing "Ye Me Le." What album does she do it on? Maria Bethania recorded it before Sergio, though.

Elis Regina's rendition of Ye-Me-Le is featured on 20 ANOS de SAUDADE released in 2002 by Universal Music. It's very similiar to the Brasil 66 version.

I have that CD! Guess I need to go listen again. Didn't it have the copyright for her version? Usually the comps do. Off to look. :)

Yup--the copyright stuff is in the tiny, tiny, tiny print about halfway through the booklet. Elis' is from 1968, so it predates Sergio's. Thanks for reminding me about this one--I have so many Brasilian CDs and LPs around this place it's hard to remember what I have sometimes. :wink:

I'm sure that's Sergio yelling, "HA" - isn't that him 99% of the time on these assorted "hoo"s and "ha"s on different songs...?

I believe the "Hoots" 'N' "Hollers" ("Hoo's" 'n' "Haa's") would be done by someone playing Percussion--just "Yelp's" that come out instinctively when you're "Bangin' on Something!"...

"Mais Que Nada" is one such track that introduced this sort of thing...

Dave

My experience from seeing Sergio many times live is that it's usually the percussionists who are the "yellers." Sergio is fairly reserved at the keyboard (although he seems to be coming out of his shell later in life :) ). Rubens and Dom both were pretty vocal.

JMK said:
My experience from seeing Sergio many times live is that it's usually the percussionists who are the "yellers." Sergio is fairly reserved at the keyboard (although he seems to be coming out of his shell later in life :) ). Rubens and Dom both were pretty vocal.

Good point - I think I just assumed that it was Sergio's way of cueing the band (especially on tunes like "Norwegian Wood").....but you're right, drummers and percussionists can be a pretty vocal bunchof folks-

JTCW

I went back and listened to Elis' version. I have to say that I find virtually no similarity in her version with Sergio's--actually (to my ears, anyway) Maria Bethania's version is a bit closer to Sergio's (unlike Elis', Maria's sticks to the basic 3 chord structure, though Sergio's uses those cool bass inversions to give his a little more color). It's very interesting to hear Elis' and Maria's in conjunction, though--they both use the same trumpet triplet figure, which is nowhere to be heard in Sergio's version.

Cortnee said:
Who is man shouting "Ha" on Ye-Me-Le"?
Hello everyone. Guys, I GOOFED AGAIN! :oops: I'm sorry for throwing everybody off.What I meant to ask was who is the male backup singer on Ye-Me-Le?
Who is the man shouting Ha on Norwegian Wood? He shouts Ha 4 times during the song. My guess is it's Rubens Bassini since he yelled Ha on the Live At Expo 70 album. I also believe that bassist Tiao Neto helped as far as singing backup vocals on many of the Brasil 66 songs both on albums and at concerts. However, the male backup vocalist on Ye-Me-Le has a deep singing voice, so I feel it might be Rubens singing.

Sergio really does let the band loose on this one!!! He must have been impressed with what everyone was doing, that he sat back and admired "the group on its own"!!

Dave

...Ye-Me-Le, La-Lo-Me-Le-Ye...Le-Me-Le-La-Lo...

I know Jeff saw Brasil '66 and so have many other Cornerites. That said, from what I recall of the '71 concert I attended in Monterey, California, Rubens did quite a bit of vocalizing. Matter of fact, "Norwegian Wood" sounded much like the EXPO '70 recording and it was, indeed, Rubens yelling "Ha!!" during the song.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom