Yes, it's Christmas music time again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I know it's only Halloween (Happy Halloween, by the way!), but in its inifinite wisdom, our station management has taken one of our stations in Philadelphia to the All-Christmas Music format as of 5 PM today.

Fourth song in: "Home For The Holidays" by Carpenters!

This station struggled along the last year or so as a Smooth Jazz station that got very poor ratings. Back around Labor Day, it switched to a mainstream Adult Contemporary station to compete with the dominant station in the market.

The station is called NOW 97.5 (WNUW). The website is:

http://www.nowismusic.com

and you can listen live if you're chomping at the bit for some ho-ho-holiday tunes!

Harry

Howdy.

Not really related to Harry's post, but in the theme of Christmas music, I heard a very unusual "interpretation" of one of the Carpenters' Christmas songs (although it's not really a "Carpenters" song, exactly).

I was playing disc six of the Agnetha Fältskog box set DE FÖRSTA ÅREN, and the track "Litet Solskensbarn" played. It was playing in the background while I was doing something else, but it sounded so familiar that I payed closer attention. It was a Swedish version of "Little Altar Boy."

A quick check of the liner notes indicated that it was released as a single by Agnetha in 1970. It is a more uptempo version than the Carpenters' version, but Agnetha is backed by a full orchestra and chorus.

An oddity that I didn't even know I had in my collection! I've added it to my iTunes playlist called "Interpretations of Carpenters," which are all other artists' performances of any song also recorded by the Carpenters.

David

I've heard of other stations going all-Christmas music this early too. I don't quite see the need -- unless they're hoping for some 'in-store' airplay at stores that already have Christmas merchandise out! Otherwise I'd think it would be a ratings disaster.

Or maybe the owners are thinking like Mrs. Carlson did on the last episode of WKRP in Cincinnati: They set the station up to lose, so the owners can take a tax deduction.

This past week, here in So FL, it dipped into the low 50's (hey that is winter weather for us) it just so happened I had one of my burned CDR-s in my car driving to work, turned my heated seats on and nestled inbetween one of those Discs from the Singles Box Collection was Carpenters Christmas Songs: MCD and The Christmas Song, Santa Clause...usually I skip these when not around the holidays but with the cold weather here they seem to be perfect and I enjoyed them alot. It was a cool (pun intended) moment since it's mostly 90's around here.

Santa Clause
Not trying to be the spelling police here, but this is one that really bugs me --- it's "Claus" with no E. I blame those Disney "Santa Clause" movies for causing nearly everyone to spell it with an E on the end these days...I've even caught myself doing it sometimes! :)

I was on my way home from the park with the dogs early this morning and for some odd reason came upon Harry's station I think! It was playing Brenda Lee's 'Rocking Around The Christmas Tree' at approximately 7:30 am. I will leave it on for the duration of the Holiday Season. Yippee.

Perhaps this evening I will put my my tree...

Does any radio Christmas compilation CD's have Carpenters this year?

I haven't heard any Christmas songs on radio yet, though I listened to Mindi and Richard on TV.

I heard that Olivia's duet with Elvis would be on only Australian Elvis' Christmas album and I was wondering I may pass this time. But looks like American release and Japanese release has/will have the duet with Olivia. I may get it.

I just saw Olivia's DVD on Amazon.UK (ASIN: B001H2MZ0S) which contains "As Time Goes By" and "Love Is Alive" from Live In Japan 1976. Is this bootleg? I attended the concerts that aired on TV and radio, but DVD hasn't been released in Japan. Randy Edelman opened the concerts for Olivia and sang Carpenters songs. The tour book had Karen's and Richard's photo.

It is said that Karen told Olivia she felt cold in Japan (Carpenters toured in March and April of 1976) and pormotor gave air conditioner to concert venue for Olivia. Randy told us Samuine(Isn't it cold?) at Bodokan. While Olivia was singing, she felt warm much. (Holiday season of 1976)

Sakura

Mike Blakesley said:
Santa Clause
Not trying to be the spelling police here, but this is one that really bugs me --- it's "Claus" with no E. I blame those Disney "Santa Clause" movies for causing nearly everyone to spell it with an E on the end these days...I've even caught myself doing it sometimes! :)

Funny -- I'm a technical writer, so I came to work dressed as a grammatical term on Hallowe'en this year. I wore a Santa hat and a name-tag that read, "Corporate Peon: Santa Enterprises, Inc." Only one person correctly guessed that I was dressed as a subordinate clause/Claus. :D

A local AC station has 24 hr Christmas music starting today. I was surprised to hear it soooo early. I listened to BLUE CHRISTMAS and thought wouldn't it be cool to hear MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING and shockingly the following tune was MCD. I decided it's never too early for Karen. I wonder just how many PORTRAIT's are distributed this time of year. I haven't seen it chart for sometime. Good to know it's a consistent seller.

Jeff

After a couple visits to one of my favorite local retailers over the past week, I am keenly aware that the Christmas season has arrived. Even as Halloween was barely ending...

Perhaps the most obnoxious sound coming from the store speakers - speaking for me - is Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley. Played over and over and over, ad nauseaum.

I guess I'm tired of Elvis in general, having heard from him for about fifty years now. Although I have been listening to the TJB since the 1960s, I do not seem to tire of those songs and that sound and I have certainly listened to it much more than Elvis. Elvis, on the other hand...well...another story.

I will somehow manage to again drift through the season hearing, but not actually listening, to some of these threadbare, dreary, tired, ancient warhorses and patiently waiting for January.

If you're in the mood for holiday music, be thankful for the TJB Christmas album...

After hearing American Top 40 (Yes, I heard "Superstar"!!), I did net radio surfing, the first Christmas Station for me was WODS. After CM, "Merry Christmas, Darling" started!! Now DJ is talking about Barry Manilow.

Sakura

There is a new Enya Christmas album out, called AND WINTER CAME. It has a couple of traditional Christmas songs on it, but the bulk of it is original music. Haven't heard it yet but I would think Enya would be good music for the season if you're in the mood for some late-night, not so holly-jolly music.

Today on my way to work I heard Carpenters-Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, the version that is 1:05 seconds and after it finished the DJ says and that was the Carpenters possibly the shortest ever Christmas song and laughs.

This station started playing Christmas Music all day 24 hours and it continues till Christmas day. They play all the old classic Christmas songs, a few contempory ones every now and then, they do play alot of Carpenters. If you care to listen free you can go to their website and click the box at the middle top that says listen live to Christmas music which will open real player and stream it free. I listen to this station last year and they do play alot of different cuts from the Carpenters. It's heading toward the 50's here in So FL so it gets me into the Christmas spirit more. Right now there playing Delilah with Christmas music. I can do without Delilah though lol

http://www.sunny1043.com/

Thanks, Chris, for the link.

You should be happy it's in the 50s!! As I get up this morning it's all of 17 here!! Brrrrr!!!

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom