YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (84)

Chris Mills

That was funny....like the dark vomited up
Here is a pretty cool article by Paul Grein on the Yesterday Once More album and video collection posted above, this ran in Billboard May 18, 1985. So was this the first collection on CD? Richard mentions that hiss had to be removed from pre-dolby and transferred from 16 to 24 track and piano redid in dolby....seems like Richard put a lot of work into this set.

Billboard%20Carpenters%20Hits%20Resurfacing%20Paul%20Grein%20May%2018%201985.png~original
What exactly does this mean? The album follows a direct response package which was marketed on television for more than a year by the Silver Eagle company of Palm Springs.

What exactly does this mean? The album follows a direct response package which was marketed on television for more than a year by the Silver Eagle company of Palm Springs.

I believe this is referring to the Yesterday Once More 2-CD set. I know that it was offered via infomercial with a Palm Springs mailing address back in the mid-80's...

The Silver Eagle set was LP-only. It was 24 songs on 2 LPs stuffed into one jacket. The records had genuine A&M labels and were manufactured by A&M but distributed via TV advertising by Silver Eagle. None of the tracks have had any remixing done on them, other than the tweaks they did in 73 for SINGLES.
il_fullxfull.852076244_s1b5.jpg

Here's the other one with the Palm Springs mailing address I remembered seeing...

The Silver Eagle set was LP-only. It was 24 songs on 2 LPs stuffed into one jacket. The records had genuine A&M labels and were manufactured by A&M but distributed via TV advertising by Silver Eagle. None of the tracks have had any remixing done on them, other than the tweaks they did in 73 for SINGLES.

This album doesn't seem to be featured in the Complete Recording Resource. Is that because it was not a direct A&M release?

This album doesn't seem to be featured in the Complete Recording Resource. Is that because it was not a direct A&M release?

It's because records and tapes issued before the CD age are all likely original mixes, plus there wasn't easy access to the actual discs. Since this particular subject came up, I've considered adding this one and may get around to it sometime this week. The only possibilities for mixes might be single mixes, edits, or 1973 remixes for those that got such a thing back then.

But I also don't want to start a precedence where someone in, say the Philippines, feels slighted that we didn't include some rare compilation that was only available there. There are just too many of those kind of releases and it's assured that the mixes are all some type of original.

This LP is also the only version of the set that gives a reason as to why "Beechwood" appears on a video that features the artwork for the 1985 album.

This LP is also the only version of the set that gives a reason as to why "Beechwood" appears on a video that features the artwork for the 1985 album.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't follow what your post is trying to say.

Last I checked, "Beechwood" never appeared on the 85 or 98 version of YOM, or 2000's Gold, or the UK YOM or Only Yesterday, and yet it was placed on a video that was in support of the 85 YOM, and even advertised with that slbum. And yet it only appeared on the 1984 YOM (which by the way seemed to feature a video for 'Sweet Sweet Smile' that was never released).

I have the album with two LPs and am in the process of detailing it as I type this.

Do we know what the complete track listing is for this album?

A1. Yesterday Once More
A2. Superstar
A3. Rainy Days and Mondays
A4. Goodbye to Love
A5. It's Going to Take Some Time
A6. Beechwood 4-5789

B1. (Want You) Back In My Life Again
B2. Ticket to Ride
B3. Sweet Sweet Smile
B4. I Won't Last a Day Without You
B5. For All We Know
B6. Touch Me When We're Dancing

C1. Hurting Each Other
C2. Please Mr. Postman
C3. I Need to Be In Love
C4. All You Get from Love is a Love Song
C5. Only Yesterday
C6. This Masquerade

D1. Top of the World
D2. Because We Are in Love
D3. We've Only Just Begun
D4. Those Good Old Dreams
D5. Sing
D6. (They Long to Be) Close to You

Last I checked, "Beechwood" never appeared on the 85 or 98 version of YOM, or 2000's Gold, or the UK YOM or Only Yesterday, and yet it was placed on a video that was in support of the 85 YOM, and even advertised with that slbum. And yet it only appeared on the 1984 YOM (which by the way seemed to feature a video for 'Sweet Sweet Smile' that was never released).

Ah - OK. This doesn't surprise me at all. When video compilations were compiled, they only had access to what existed. BEechwood, not being a big hit, didn't make it into the CD track lists, but the video did, simply because it existed.

That album cover really seems to showcase the last album Made in America and quite a few songs appear on this compilation LP from that album. I wonder how the decision came about to use that album cover vs so many other photos they could have used.

I guess that this compilation was maybe the first of many, correct me if I'm wrong. Do we have any photos?

It's because records and tapes issued before the CD age are all likely original mixes, plus there wasn't easy access to the actual discs. Since this particular subject came up, I've considered adding this one and may get around to it sometime this week. The only possibilities for mixes might be single mixes, edits, or 1973 remixes for those that got such a thing back then.

But I also don't want to start a precedence where someone in, say the Philippines, feels slighted that we didn't include some rare compilation that was only available there. There are just too many of those kind of releases and it's assured that the mixes are all some type of original.

Thanks Harry!

I guess that this compilation was maybe the first of many, correct me if I'm wrong. Do we have any photos?

I've posted the front. The back is just a track list (blue print on the gray background) and the standard production credits.

Back
Top Bottom