Yesterday Once More-From 35th Anniv New Box Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I don't have the Now & Then LP.

I have only listened to my original old Now & Then U.S. CD #3519. I just noticed that this original issue Cd does NOT have the same version of Yesterday Once More as the version on the new 35th Anniv Box Set.

I am assuming that this version on the 35th Anniv set is the original LP version. I really like this one. It is really nice to hear this version on this Japan remastered Cd. Wow crystal clear.

..whose only reached up to Now & Then on the new box set, online...

Even if you have an LP of NOW & THEN, you're not guaranteed to have that original album mix of "Yesterday Once More" -- I have two copies of NOW & THEN on vinyl and both have the remix. Apparently only the earliest copies of the LP contained that first mix.

I have the first mix on a 45 rpm single from Germany (the American versions of the 45 all seem to have the remix). Other than that, the remastered CD is the only place I've found that mix in my own collection...

David

davidgra said:
Even if you have an LP of NOW & THEN, you're not guaranteed to have that original album mix of "Yesterday Once More" -- I have two copies of NOW & THEN on vinyl and both have the remix. Apparently only the earliest copies of the LP contained that first mix.

Very interesting David. I was unaware that the original mix had been replaced on later pressings! There are three incarnations of the NOW & THEN LP that I know of:

• Original pressings (Ochre label, tri-fold jacket, sleeve with lyrics and pictures of classic cars)

late-seventies reissue (silver/tan label, tri-fold jacket, plain paper sleeve)

Mid-eightees reissue (ordinary non-foldout jacket)

I have the first two versions. I saw the third around 1986, but didn't buy it. Obviously the ochre label copy has the original mix. I've never played the late-seventies reissue, so don't know if the song is original mix or not.

Which remix is on your albums David? The single mix, the 1985 mix that is on "Yesterday Once More", or some other mix?

Murray

Very interesting indeed, thanks David & Murray for explaning that.

I have the promo mono/stereo 45 of this song & it is not the original album version that appears on the 35th anniv box set.

Murray, appreciate that explantation, cause I want to purchase the Album of Now & Then & didn't know there were so many versions.

Isn't there also the Quad version too? Wonder which version of the song is on that album?

Is there anyway someone can help describe the covers of Now & Then to determine which is the original pressing IF the album is still sealed..How would I know from just looking.

Murray said:
Which remix is on your albums David? The single mix, the 1985 mix that is on "Yesterday Once More", or some other mix?

I have two versions of the album -- one you didn't list, in fact. I have a mid-'70s pressing, with the silver/tan label but with the tri-fold jacket and the complete inner sleeve with pictures of cars. I also have a later '70s pressing without the inner sleeve.

Both LPs have essentially the same mix as the one that appears on THE SINGLES: 1969-1973, except, of course, that on NOW & THEN it segues into "Fun Fun Fun." It's the same mix that appears on the U.S. 45 rpm single.

I suspect that the change from the original album mix to the single mix on the album happened in 1974 or 1975. Richard must have decided he liked the "newer" version of the song better, and so he went back and re-did the two-channel master for that LP.

Yet another chapter in the "mysterious changes in the mixes" saga...

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom