Yesterday Once More - Karaoke Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Hi all

I don't expect this to generate loads of replies, but this is definitely one for the fanatics or musicians, and its there if you listen!

I was listening to the karaoke master of Yesterday Once More today, and realised for the first time that Richard's piano accompaniment in the first opening verse goes out of time at 00.15s!

If you have it, listen to the bit where Karen would sing "When they played I'd sing along"

It's like Richard is hurrying to keep up! One of the beauties of the karaoke versions, all of a sudden you hear things like that, that are usually masked by Karen's vocal. Great!

Stephen

If you listen to it instrumentally, it is very obviously out of time. Listen to it with the lead, and it sounds like real time (so/so). It's bizzarre. I have a feeling this song was not "clicked" when they cut the original track and so even though it sounds in-time when Karen is singing (especially on the original piano track from '73), if you counted it in perfect time, it would not be.

Incidentally, the piano is playing steady "fours" (quarter notes) throughout that entire first verse, so there would have been no reason for Karen to click it from the drum booth during the tracking session. Richard was probably responsible for keeping time entirely up until the drums kick in at the chorus. Then, down goes the master lead vocal on an overdub later.

That's what gets tricky with the 'additional recording and remix' theory. It can sometimes prove to be a bit problematic with regards to the whole timing thing. I know I've gone on and on here, but you get the point. :) -Chris

newvillefan said:
One of the beauties of the karaoke versions, all of a sudden you hear things like that, that are usually masked by Karen's vocal. Great!

Stephen

I am a musician and I def agree with you, it is neat hearing these things.

If you think the Karaoke versions are cool, try listening to the original tracks using and 10 or 15 band graphic EQ. By adjusting the mids and lower much of the bass you can pick out individual harmonies and other things you've never heard before!

Listening to the a capella stuff this way is amazing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom