Yesterday Once More LP packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I had occasion this afternoon to pull out my YESTERDAY ONCE MORE vinyl album and wanted to ask the members here who have it if their copy is like mine.

Is your back cover printed upside down?

If I hold my front cover so it's right-side up, open the gatefold and everything is still right-side up. But when I close it and look at the back, it's upside-down. Weirder still is that the UPC code appears right-side up on the upside-down back cover.

I've meant to ask this before and it kept slipping my mind. Is this a rarity or are they all that way?DSC05135.JPG
Harry

That's how I remember it, but I can't confirm it first-hand. After acquiring numerous CD collections I began giving away some of the post-1983 vinyl, including this and the British silver-jacketed version...as well as the edited U.S. version cassette. Hoped to create some Carpenter converts that way (and didn't foresee the resurgence of vinyl at all). So, a definite maybe. It is curious.

Wally

Yes, I still have the vinyl. It's upside-down on my copy as well. As I'm sure is the case with you, Harry, I bought it when it first hit stores, so I'm sure mine is a first pressing. It would be interesting to know if they changed the back cover in later printings.

Yes, I still have the vinyl. It's upside-down on my copy as well. As I'm sure is the case with you, Harry, I bought it when it first hit stores, so I'm sure mine is a first pressing. It would be interesting to know if they changed the back cover in later printings.

OK, so I don't have some one-of-a-kind, rare error packaging, and David's confirmation means that at least a first-gen pressing probably is the same. It'll now be interesting to see if ANYONE has a corrected copy. Since the package appeared nearly simultaneously with the compact disc format, there may not be all that many later pressings out there.

It's also interesting to note the error that A&M made on the CD version of this set, with its track-numbering on the disc faces and the insert indicating 1-13 on disc one and 14-27 on disc two. They ended up adding a little paper note inside informing the users of the fact that each disc starts from the number 1.

yestUSER.jpg

Harry

I own 2 copies of this LP and both are exactly like your picture. I always did find that rather odd too. I just figured that is the way they made it. The first copy of this LP is when I bought it from the record store when it first became available. The 2nd copy I have I bought a sealed copy from a used record store with the original sticker on the front, I ended up opening it and found the original order form inside to order the VHS tape offer in either VHS Hi Fi or BETA Hi Fi for $29.95 plus $3.00 S/H, does that bring back any memories? LOL
I don't own the CD version of this LP.

On a somewhat different topic, the VHS tape of this album, is there anything special on that tape that has not appeared anywhere else speaking in terms of the music for the videos. I know sometimes rare audio tracks have appeared on VHS tapes that have not appeared elsewhere and wondered if that was the case for this.

On a somewhat different topic, the VHS tape of this album, is there anything special on that tape that has not appeared anywhere else speaking in terms of the music for the videos. I know sometimes rare audio tracks have appeared on VHS tapes that have not appeared elsewhere and wondered if that was the case for this.

I believe the audio content is the same as the DVD. BUT, if you have a hi-fi VHS machine, you might find that the uncompressed audio on the tape might sound a bit better than the compressed Dolby Digital 2.0 on the DVD. It all depends on the alignment of the heads on your VHS player as to whether the tape will sound better.

Harry

BTW, you can number a CD so that it stats from a number other than 1. My Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD is numbered like that for the second disc (I believe it starts with track 9).

Mine is that way as well, Harry, though I turned the back right-side up for the site. I should make mention of that. Very strange...

Ed

Mine is that way as well, Harry, though I turned the back right-side up for the site. I should make mention of that. Very strange...

Ed

Ed, the one pictured on your site has the UPC code in the same orientation as the rear cover. My UPC is 180° flipped with respect to the cover's orientation. Looks like there is at least this variation.

Harry

Mine is the same as Harry's. My guess on this is that the image just got "flipped" at the printing plant. I originally thought that the cover designer originally intended for the LP sleeve openings to be on the top of the package rather than the right, and the cover designed to be opened vertically; some albums were that way, although usually it was due to the cover photo being a vertical shot that would look right when the cover was opened that way. I changed my mind in this case becauue of the UPC code. If they'd originally designed the cover to be opened vertically, the UPC would have been oriented the same as the cover image.

Makes me wonder if there was more than one "run" of this album. You'd think if there was a mistake, they'd have corrected it in future printings of the cover. Maybe it wasn't that hot a seller and they only had to run off one initial batch?

Consider too that this album came out right at the dawn of the CD era. It may have moved a lot of units in that configuration.

Harry

Last edited:
Yesterday I found another YOM lp Emi 1984 $8 so why not? With the interest in the '84 cd release I thought o geez what's one more? The store had a "near mint" Won't Last A Day 45 & pic sleeve that was less than advertised. It didn't come home with me.

Jeff

Makes me wonder if there was more than one "run" of this album. You'd think if there was a mistake, they'd have corrected it in future printings of the cover. Maybe it wasn't that hot a seller and they only had to run off one initial batch?
The Yesterday Once More anthology was absolutely a hot seller-it turned out to be one of the best-selling A&M albums of the 1980's.By 1998-it had cumulative sales of almost three million copies.

The fact that it was a two-disc set(selling for nearly thirty bucks back in the day) magnifies it's success considerably-it's almost the equivalent of selling about six-million single albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom