Yesterday Once More/Road Ode 45

Find us a copy of the audio and I'll be happy to add it to the resource.

I remember there was a thread on here about all the differences that appeared in the 8 track tapes. There were a few others. I never collected any 8 track tapes.

I wrote about that a few years ago. The only version I have on iTunes has Kasey Kasem talking over it at the end, and talking about Richard writing it at the beginning. I think I have a clean version in my 100’s of burned discs somewhere. If I add it to iTunes, how do I send it to you? The only thing I see is share playlist? It can’t be emailed…..thanks.

Do you use Windows? Windows has access to OneDrive where you can upload a file and give a sharing link.

Today while listening to AT40 from June 30th 1973, Carpenters at #13 with YOM. 3rd week on the charts. Another memory came to mind. When the song peeked a few weeks later, Casey Kasem started playing the short version of the song. It’s only on the 8-track version of Now&Then. It’s basically filler to make program 1 out of 4 the same length as the others. It does not sound like an edit, but an actual separately recorded track, leaving out the whole middle part of the song. It’s at about 2:15 long. The British 8-track says part 1, instead of short version. The quad 8-tracks only have 2 sides, so it’s not on those tapes. Anyway my question is: should it be on the resource as an alternate version? Short version? Can @ChisMay ask Richard about it’s recording. Edited or separate recording? I finally tracked a guy down that sold old radio shows, and asked about it. He didn’t believe me until he played the record it was on, from 8/4/73. He said it definitely changed the whole song. He’s right. At 2:15 it’s not a hit.
Send me the recording Ken and I’ll give it a listen! If memory serves, it is an edit but I haven’t heard it in years.

Okay. I listened to both the 8-track and record versions, and I don’t hear any cleaver editing, but I’m probably wrong. The 8-track version has a slight scuff sound like an overplayed 45, but not an edit to my ears. The record version is straight through. It’s actually about 2:00 minutes long. It really bothered me that AT40 started playing that version starting 8/4/73 after it peaked to save time? How did they even get it, unless they took it from the 8-track?

Here is that thread about the 8 tracks. Had a hard time finding it searching 8 and track brings many results lol

I was hoping someone could post all the differences heard on these 8 tracks vs the original albums but I don’t remember that ever happen.

FYI:

It’s also used on the U.S. cassette tape version.
I remember that now. Couldn’t remember where I’d heard it initially, but my recollection is that it was just an edit of the original.

I didn’t think to look on u tube for all the 8 track recordings. Da Doo Ron Ron has about 10-15 seconds at the end that’s new to me. Cool!
Happy to oblige! That was yours truly that posted it. I've got a very nice 8-track that still plays like a charm. so I was able to use it to create this video.

Happy to oblige! That was yours truly that posted it. I've got a very nice 8-track that still plays like a charm. so I was able to use it to create this video.
Hey A&M Retro, any chance you can upload the shortened track of YOM from Now & Then 8 track? I know it’s only a verse taken out but technically it’s an edit we’ve never documented. I’d love to hear it.

Do you have also have A Kind of Hush 8 track? There are 2 reprises listed on Program 3 and 4.
1. There's a Kind of Hush (reprise)
2. Breaking Up is Hard to Do (reprise)
Even though short they are reprises never documented and probably not heard by a lot of fans.
Love to hear those as well.

Made in America has a shortened version of Those Good Old Dreams I hear.

"Da Doo Ron Ron" starts at the 7:53 mark:

This reminded me that the Greatest Hits and Finest Performances collection has the medley without Tony's bit. I wondered why I don't remember Da Doo Ron Ron's ending without Tony, then I remembered that that track was inexplicably left off.

Hey A&M Retro, any chance you can upload the shortened track of YOM from Now & Then 8 track? I know it’s only a verse taken out but technically it’s an edit we’ve never documented. I’d love to hear it.

Do you have also have A Kind of Hush 8 track? There are 2 reprises listed on Program 3 and 4.
1. There's a Kind of Hush (reprise)
2. Breaking Up is Hard to Do (reprise)
Even though short they are reprises never documented and probably not heard by a lot of fans.
Love to hear those as well.

Made in America has a shortened version of Those Good Old Dreams I hear.
Well, I tried to do just that and my computer had other ideas. It's not converting to to a file for some reason. I'll get it done, but it might take a bit of time. Sorry about that. : (

I've had a chance to listen to the edit and remember it well. It can be found on both the 8-track as well as the cassette tape, as @A&M Retro pointed out.

All they did was take the album mix and join the end of verse one to the beginning of chorus two. In order to do this seamlessly, the connection point is actually on the word "SHA-la-la-la. (@ 0:49.) In other words, the word "Every" from chorus one is left in tact, with the edit to chorus two immediately following.

And by the way, the AT40 version is the exact same edit, but of the single and not album version. It's possible that A&M ran another edit for programmers once the single became available.

In order to improve the quality, I took the liberty of creating the exact same edit myself so everyone can hear it. Here's a sample:

Back
Top Bottom