Yesterday Once More - The Album Battle

Which version do you like?

• Total voters

tomswift2002

carpYestMore84.jpg carpyesterdayUK1984.jpg carpyesterdayUS.jpg CarpYOMNL.jpg
Ok, Richard's released about 6 comp albums called "Yesterday Once More", so I thought it would be interesting to see what people consider to be the best?

I know the track list was the same on more than one of these compilations but I went with the 1985 compilation which I own, purely for the beautifully segued tracks I Need To Be In Love, Make Believe It's Your First Time and All You Get From Love Is A Love Song.

That's why for the 85 album I've got it as "1985/Classics" as it was the very same album, just relabelled as "A&M Classics Volume 2".

It's the same as the Netherlands version which is practically the same as the 2000 European "Gold" release, aside from "Calling Occupants" bejng deleted and "Sweet, Sweet Smile" taking its place and a few other tracks being reorganized.

But one thing that I enjoyed with the 84 and 85 albums was that they both included the better tracks from MIA (except for the Wedding songs tatvv)

Last edited:
There's at least one more YESTERDAY ONCE MORE title. It was the separate karaoke album released in Japan:

Original Master Karaoke – Yesterday Once More

carpkaraoke.jpg

The 85 album was the very first CD that I owned, purchased at the same time as my first CD player. I was blown away by the sound quality of the CD, and how I was hearing things that I had never noticed on the LPs before. I thought it was because the CD format was superior to LP - I didn't realize that a lot of the songs had been remixed, and that's why they sounded different.

I would have voted (if it was there) for the Original Master Karaoke - Yesterday Once More compilation.
I got this rather late and paid more for it than I probably should have but it was such a worthy addition to my collection. I got the single CD version POCM 1521. If you want to really appreciate the songwriting, arranging and producing that went into these songs, give this CD a listen. I was in awe when I first heard it, hearing instruments and melodies that gave the songs a whole new meaning. When you hear some of the Ohh's and Ahhh's and Karen and Richard's backing voices left intact, it really brings chills to why I love these songs.

Some might say, how can you like these when Karen's lead vocal is not there? When you have heard these song so many times, listening to these Karaoke tracks (from the original master tapes) you can listen and I still hear Karen singing the lead even though she's not there. I was bummed later to find out that this was released yet again with another Karaoke track, "Sing" so I had to hunt down the CD single Top Of The World for that Karaoke track. When I imported this 15 track CD into my iTunes library, I added a 16th track, "Sing" to make my set complete.

Originally I wasn't going to include the Netherlands as its only a single-disc collection, whereas all the others are 2-disc collections, plus it was essentially the Netherlands version of Gold from mainland Europe.

And the Karaoke album, well with it having no lead vocals it's in its own category on its own.

I have the 84 Silver Eagle and the 84 UK both vinyl and the 85 on Cd. I voted for the Silver Eagle mainly because I remember watching the commercial and waiting for it to be delivered. I still remember the day it came.

I have the Silver Eagle and 85 versions on vinyl and the 85 and 98 on CD. I had to go with the 84 set as I like how it includes more of the groups upbeat 80's tunes. Had the 85 version included Beechwood, Your Baby or Prime Time Love then things might've been different. I think Your Baby or Prime would've been a better representative of VOTH than Make Believe.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upend your poll thread by bringing up the karaoke disc. You're right, this should be a poll of preference between the two-disc sets called YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, since all are related.

It's actually a tough choice for me between the 84 (UK) and the 85 (US) sets. I went with the 84 set due to its rarity on CD that I spent a decade hunting down. The fact that all tracks are not-modern-remixes makes that one special. But I also enjoy the "programming" on the 85 disc, and that set was another joy to pick up in the early CD age.

The 98 set seemed like the r*d-h****d step-child of the Remastered Classics era. Here we were, buying up the albums as they originally sounded on that series and they also put out a VERY-remixed compilation that wasn't that much different from the one that came before. I also never cared for the sepia-colored cover on that 98 disc.

The Yesterday Once More LP from UK/EMI
is the "winner" for me....
Classy Inside (great photos including a solo session shot)
and Out (Large Logo over 1975 Duo Silhouette).
Curiously, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song is not included on this compilation.
Also, reading on the Cover,
"26 Classics including... ...Make Believe It's Your First Time...."
which song I do not normally describe as being a 'classic' !

The Yesterday Once More LP from UK/EMI
is the "winner" for me....
Classy Inside (great photos including a solo session shot)
and Out (Large Logo over 1975 Duo Silhouette).
Curiously, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song is not included on this compilation.
Also, reading on the Cover,
"26 Classics including... ...Make Believe It's Your First Time...."
which song I do not normally describe as being a 'classic' !
I was just looking on Wikipedia, but apparently in Ireland "Make Believe" hit #20, while in the U.K. it hit #60. (It also hit #80 in Australia.) Apparently "All You Get" didn't chart in either (amongst Wiki's Commonwealth listings, it only charted Canada at #38 and Australia where it hit in the high 80's).

Last edited:
There's at least one more YESTERDAY ONCE MORE title. It was the separate karaoke album released in Japan:

Original Master Karaoke – Yesterday Once More

carpkaraoke.jpg

I have had this gem for many years. when I saw this comment yesterday, I delved deep and deeper into my quite serious and ever expanding dust collection, and had another listen. the background harmonies and vocal stacks, free of the leads, are pure bliss.

I hadn't had my first CD player long and so excited about the chance of "at that time" so many CD releases to look forward to. I will never forget when I was at the mall in the record store where the display of CD releases were so very few. I'm guessing no more than 50 - 100 disc. After noticing how much they cost even for a single CD pricing around $25.00 each back then was kind of expensive. I'm thinking to myself, well, maybe as more come out, the price will drop hoping to buy more disc. My mother had purchased my first CD player as a birthday present and two CD's to listen to. They were Luther Vandross and a compilation disc. I don't think I slept that night not being able to tear myself away from the sound of familiar songs digitally. My next visit to the store to see what possible new CDs had been added and my eyes grew as big as 50cent coins as I saw that long box with the picture of Carpenters adorning the cover. I don't even think I looked at the song list or the price, I just made my way holding tightly to that thick double disc set to the counter. All I wanted to do was go home and put that CD in and hear for the very first time. I was about to hear my FAVORITE artist of my lifetime in the new digital technology. I was simply astonished how clean and beautiful each song sounded as they played. Karen's vocal was shimmering as beautiful as I'd ever remember hearing. I spent so much time listening to that disc. I guess the people at the record store got frustrated with my frequent calls asking if any more Carpenters disc had come in. That would be my first introduction to the glorious sound of how much better I thought these new shinny little disc sounded. Today, I couldn't even guess how many Carpenters disc I have in my collection. As far as I know, I have all the different mixes, imports, box sets ect. But, that beautiful blue cover of Yesterday Once More was the historic disc introducing me to the clear and beautiful recordings. It really was kind of like hearing them for the very first time all over again! I have had more fun searching for and collecting new releases. Trying to get all the studio albums took me two or three years if I'm remembering correct. But I always will cherish with my very first Double CD set called Yesterday Once More.

I hadn't had my first CD player long and so excited about the chance of "at that time" so many CD releases to look forward to. I will never forget when I was at the mall in the record store where the display of CD releases were so very few. I'm guessing no more than 50 - 100 disc. After noticing how much they cost even for a single CD pricing around $25.00 each back then was kind of expensive. I'm thinking to myself, well, maybe as more come out, the price will drop hoping to buy more disc. My mother had purchased my first CD player as a birthday present and two CD's to listen to. They were Luther Vandross and a compilation disc. I don't think I slept that night not being able to tear myself away from the sound of familiar songs digitally. My next visit to the store to see what possible new CDs had been added and my eyes grew as big as 50cent coins as I saw that long box with the picture of Carpenters adorning the cover. I don't even think I looked at the song list or the price, I just made my way holding tightly to that thick double disc set to the counter. All I wanted to do was go home and put that CD in and hear for the very first time. I was about to hear my FAVORITE artist of my lifetime in the new digital technology. I was simply astonished how clean and beautiful each song sounded as they played. Karen's vocal was shimmering as beautiful as I'd ever remember hearing. I spent so much time listening to that disc. I guess the people at the record store got frustrated with my frequent calls asking if any more Carpenters disc had come in. That would be my first introduction to the glorious sound of how much better I thought these new shinny little disc sounded. Today, I couldn't even guess how many Carpenters disc I have in my collection. As far as I know, I have all the different mixes, imports, box sets ect. But, that beautiful blue cover of Yesterday Once More was the historic disc introducing me to the clear and beautiful recordings. It really was kind of like hearing them for the very first time all over again! I have had more fun searching for and collecting new releases. Trying to get all the studio albums took me two or three years if I'm remembering correct. But I always will cherish with my very first Double CD set called Yesterday Once More.
As I've mentioned elsewhere "The Singles 1974-1978" album was the first album I ever heard by the Carpenters, because that was the first CD they bought for their first CD player.

But I remember buying the 85 YOM with Christmas money in January 98. I had to have the store order it in as I had seen it before Christmas, but it was sold out on Boxing Day. And at the time none of the individual albums were available on CD.

which version was this? the silver 1985 version? That cover is the best imho... Thanks for sharing your story!

I've had or have a couple of these but prefer to listen to the original albums; I don't care to hear songs from different eras strung together in a random order.

Well I guess I don't know which one it is in the list, but the only one I have is the one with the darkish-blue cover. I believe the track listing is the same as on the "A&M Classics" CD.

I also am not a big fan of listening to the tunes out of LP order, unless I'm listening to my own Carpenters compilation, which blows all the pre-made ones out of the water, in my world at least, because I included more album cuts and no Christmas songs. And it has some killer segues on it too.

I voted for the 1985/classics as it was one of my first Cds at the time it had all the songs on the singles 1969-1973 without the segues and more of their later hits at the time I thought it was the most economical carpenters hit comp package available one weird twist is my CD version the case and booklet has the YOM artwork and booklet But the CDs are labeled Classics vol2 that's the way mine is But the track order and music is the same no loss at all and still in pristine condition I don't know if it qualifies as a collector's item though but I think its interesting.

my CD version the case and booklet has the YOM artwork and booklet But the CDs are labeled Classics vol2

Interesting. I suppose that A&M had some extra CLASSICS CDs pressed up and shoved them into the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE cases. They are functionally digital clones with no differences other than the printing on the face.

I bought the ice-blue YESTERDAY ONCE MORE when it first came out.If memory serves correctly, it came in two individual jewel cases and inside the second disc case was a note from A&M that the songs on the disc were labeled 14 through 27, but they should be entered as 1 through 14 for programming. The outer packaging had the numbers correct but the disc was printed in error.

A long time ago, I put the two discs into a single-width flip-page jewel case to save space on the shelves and to keep the set from getting separated over time.

A few years later, someone at the radio station I worked at must have mentioned my name to Jon Konjoyan at A&M and the fact that I was a Carpenters fan, as I received a package in the mail from him with another set of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. It's really still a mystery - I'm not the type that sent fan mail, or letters to record companies, so that explanation has to be the most likely rationale.

Anyway, looking through the radio station's CD library one day, I spotted a copy of Carpenters CLASSICS VOLUME 2 and asked the Program Director if I could make a trade. The station could have my extra YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, and I'd take the CLASSICS V2, since I never had a reason to buy that, and that way I'd own the packaging for both.

My CLASSICS is now also housed in a two-disc flip-page jewelcase. It looks like it may have originally been in two cases.

My silver EMI YESTERDAY ONCE MORE from the UK is in a "fatboy" double-disc case. Given its value, I won't be messing with its packaging.

While we're on the subject, at least regarding the '85 release and subsequent Classics, Volume 2 release in '87 (one in the same release, albeit different packaging), the actual remix of YOM itself is one of my least favorite remixes. Felt the timbre and attack of the stereo acoustic Richard used to replace the original mono-tracked piano was a little distracting. I get that it was meant to improve the landscape of the mix and increase the energy a little, but just never sat well with me for whatever reason.

On a separate note - and I might just be in the minority here, but my absolute most favorite remix on that album was Superstar! I've never been particularly fond of the original drum track - just sonically sounds like it was cut in someone's garage. I know Richard was trying to improve on that by having Hal re-cut the entire thing, but there is some faint leakage between the two drum takes via Karen's headset that is noticeable, hence the reason why it rarely has ever been pulled for compilation albums since. It did make it into The Karen Carpenter Story, and maybe that's why I'm somewhat partial to it as well.

Hal's energy and arrangement of those drum fills, not to mention the improved sonics of the kit on the re-cut I believe far surpassed the earlier mixex and took that whole song and arrangement to another level! Just my honest opinion for whatever it's worth LOL :)

Does anyone know if the 85/Classics album was ever released on 8-track?
In the "albums" section of the Complete Recordings Resource, there is a photo of the advertisement for this album and the ad mentions the LP, CD, and cassette tape versions but no 8-track version available/mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom