your CarpenterS holy grail collectible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! It's a trip down the FM dial. You here K. C. & the Sunshine Band I'm Your Boogie Man, a news report, The Jackson's ? A Spanish announcer, a couple of instrumentals, and Andy Williams singing We've Only Just Begun, all briefly before All Hit Radio. Kind of cool. The white generic sleeve says A&M Records July 26, 1977 on it and Carpenters. Written with a sharpie. $10.00. 2nd Ref. about 16 seconds long.

WOW, amazing, never knew this even existed.
I read that some DJ's back then refused to play the long intro and used the edited version for radio play. I guess it's understandable at over 7 mins. I'd also love to hear that, it makes sense to add something like that before "all hit radio" it just fits, pretty cool to think of it this way that acetate pressing sounds real special.

WOW, amazing, never knew this even existed.
I read that some DJ's back then refused to play the long intro and used the edited version for radio play. I guess it's understandable at over 7 mins. I'd also love to hear that, it makes sense to add something like that before "all hit radio" it just fits, pretty cool to think of it this way that acetate pressing sounds real special.

It really is special because they were just meant for the artist and producer to hear, then to be destroyed. I got it at the Capitol Records parking lot swap meet back in the day. Some guy was selling A&M promos and test pressings there. I used to have a 10" one sided single for Eve. It played at 45 rpm. I sold it about ten yrs. ago. Now I wish I hadn't. Oh well.

Ken: Is there any way you can burn the longer intro and full song onto a file so we can hear it? That sounds amazing.

Bob

This is an easy save my dough. If those in possession sitting waiting n wondering what it says after years can't translate it seems pointless for me here and now. My curiosity is fever pitch. This ltd publication is one of very very few tools, if not the only RC sanctioned resource.If I'm gonna clamor and squak about any what, where and whens, at the very least I need a purported reliable springboard for broadcast. Yezzzzzzzz y'all defeatists on board, to what end you ask? I hear you loud n clear. BUT reminding again knowledge is power.Not askin ain't getting. Correctomundo? Starve a cold feed the CarpenterS fever as it were. Can't begin to chit chat with UNIVERSAL or RC (( don't bother me with Well, RC said last interview......of course there are those who can't resist yappin bout RC said...but RC said...but RC said...oh ya RC said....)) if I'm/we're not well armed and versed in quest for the cause. The ultimate CarpenterS recording resource must be established. Hoo haw and big sigh, now that I'm in campaign mode I've decided to embrace that infamous 'studio D fart' and 'belch' on record as well. Funny, Rich will more than likely blame the studio D action on Ella. "See what I mean? We didn't even record that and somebody at A&M admin........"

Yes! It's a trip down the FM dial. You here K. C. & the Sunshine Band I'm Your Boogie Man, a news report, The Jackson's ? A Spanish announcer, a couple of instrumentals, and Andy Williams singing We've Only Just Begun, all briefly before All Hit Radio. Kind of cool.
I can sure see why that never made it past the promo-material stage.....can you imagine the nightmare to get all those clips and artists licensed? Although it would have been a nice paycheck for each of them to be featured on a Carpenters album, even if only for a second.

I'm late to 'the party', but I finally secured a copy of the Singles 1969-1981 SACD.
(This, from Reckless Records, in Chicago --same outfit as where I purchased the wonderful 40th Set).
My question:
I do not have an SACD- compatible player,
but are the differences in the 'mixes' still audible with a regular cd-player?
(Gee, I hope so...until I can arrange for the complete experience !).

Thanks for the information, Harry.
My next (albeit ignorant) question:
Any reasonably priced, recommended, sacd-players?
I've been 'eye-balling' a Denon 3930 Player.
Thanks, all.

I've seen that photo before but not in this heavily touched up version - Karen looks like someone painted her in clown makeup :laugh:

Finally, my Singles SACD has arrived.
Perfect condition and can hardly wait to play. (The regular cd option for now, as I do not have the SACD-player, yet!).
Reckless Records (Chicago) , again,
excellent (low!) pricing and service.

Finally, my Singles SACD has arrived.
Perfect condition and can hardly wait to play. (The regular cd option for now, as I do not have the SACD-player, yet!).
Reckless Records (Chicago) , again,
excellent (low!) pricing and service.
made the mistake of buying the "green" one? i think it only plays on the Japanese format. total bummer. can't really return.

made the mistake of buying the "green" one? i think it only plays on the Japanese format. total bummer. can't really return.

It took me a few minutes, but I think I now understand what you did. Earlier in the thread, GaryAlan mentioned that he'd located SINGLES 1969-1981 SACD. That's the one that came out in 2004 with the picture of Richard and Karen (with the silly hat and grin) that featured 5.1 surround remixes on the surround layer, 2.0 mixes on the stereo SACD layer, and regular stereo mixes on the redbook CD layer.

carpsingles7981SACD.jpg

Now, just this past year, another SACD was produced with the title of SINGLES 1969-1973. It was a replica of the old LP from 1974 (brown cover, gold logo). That came in three flavors - and SACD on SHM material that ONLY plays on an SACD player; a platinum SHM-CD that plays on most standard CD players; and a standard SHM-CD that plays anywhere. I believe when you say you got the "green" one, you're referring to the SHM-SACD with a dark green spine on the outer box.

CarpSingles6973SACD.jpg

So I confused you and GaryAlan and thought he had gotten the first one above - that one's rare and hard to find and goes for big bucks. The latter one is still fairly available since it's only been out less than a year.

You will need an SACD player to play that second one and there are no new remixes. The first one has three layers and features two remixes on the stereo layers, and every song remixed on the surround layer.

Harry

Clarification to my post: I indeed have the original 2004 SACD,
with the Rolling Stone Photo Session, not the "Green" later issue.
It's the rare issue which I have received,thankfully!

that one's rare and hard to find and goes for big bucks.

I'm now so glad I've got the original SACD version in my collection. I got it at the time it came out and since I don't have an SACD player, have never played it. Maybe someday... :)

Last edited:
Thinking about the SACD made me look up 'Carpenters SACD' on youtube and I found this again. Superb. Makes you feel like you're in the vocal booth with Karen. It's interesting to hear how much of her vocal is actually 'doubled' (flawlessly) on this song.

On a related note, Richard did say in his liner notes for the SACD that he was glad the fans gave a lot of attention to 'I Believe You'. I wonder why this track in particular was singled out for inclusion when it was never on the original Singles 1969-1981?

Yeah, I didn't have an SACD player either when it came out in 2004 - and never actually got one. But I did happen to get a Sony Blu-ray player that played SACDs, so when I was compiling info for the Resource, I scoured that disc in its SACD modes to determine which mixes were where. I even did my own "downmix" to stereo and made a CD-R of that, just for a different way of hearing Carpenters tunes. I often like to explore different mixes just to keep things fresh.

Harry

Stephen, I almost forgot about the cool mixes that Matt on the LS forum made back when the SACD came out. It was like exploring everything for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom