your CarpenterS holy grail collectible

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above TOUCH ME is fantastic to hear again. I get a lot more of the vocals that ordinarily are mired in the bombast.

Of course, we are all familiar with the ultimate treasure when it comes
to Carpenters' Holy Grail--I speak of the--
Karen Carpenter, Magic Lamp Single 45 of "Looking For Love/Parting of Our Ways" ML-704.

Now, some observations, merely intended as an interesting historical exercise!:
(correct me if, and when, I err--please)
1. The Rolling Stone interview,1974, gives a min-career retro on Carpenters---this Magic Lamp excursion is not included.
2. The Carpenters' Fan Club had an Evelyn Wallace written career bio entitled "Carpenters-Superstars",
looks to be end of 1974, if enclosed content is indication of date written.
It mentions Battle of Bands 1966 and All American College Show. No Show-Magic Lamp.
3. May 1978 #59, Carpenters' Newsletters, finally, ascribe to summer of 1966 for the recording of the Magic Lamp Single.
4. Ray Coleman's retrospective career bio in the 1976 UK Tour Booklet:
No mention of Magic Lamp.
In fact, he says, and I quote:
"Around 1966, they formed a jazz trio and won a contest at the Hollywood Bowl.
At this time Karen rarely sang in public.
A Couple of records were made after that contest,but nobody showed much interest.
Then, Karen started to sing--partly to provide a freshness to their own sound."
5. August 2,1976 People Cover Story: Yes, to Battle of the Bands, No mention of Magic Lamp.

hands down! - the holy grail find was at an AMVETS here in San Diego last year - a buddy of mine from L.A. dragged me down to go thrift shopping and I picked up a Warners Bros paper sleeve of The Associations' "WINDY" - because the label looked as if the record had been unplayed- only to find a dusty and scratched Karen Carpenter 45 of "Looking For Love" sharing space behind The bside of The Associations' called "Sometime" ~!! 50 cents !!!! it is not mint but I nearly lost it among the vinyl record and shoe sale that was going on that day at the store........Totally amazing...Now if I could find a copy "Ticket To Ride" on promo white label - I would be complete.........

Do any forum members have a copy of the LP:
Grammy Treasure Chest (1975),
U.S Treasury Department Album
Carpenters, Herb Alpert, Barry Manilow.

I've been meaning to answer this and forgot about it. The US Treasury album has two fifteen minute "programs", one on each side. The show is hosted by and interviews conducted by Mike Douglas, with Durward Kirby as the announcer. In the side with Carpenters and Herb Alpert, the show opens with a slightly truncated playing of "Only Yesterday" by Carpenters. Then comes a PSA for the US Treasury and the interview with Herb Alpert, followed by a playing of the song "Carmine" from CONEY ISLAND. Herb is asked about his falling out with music during 1969 and about his comeback with Carmine Caruso for whom the song is titled. Mike Douglas mentions Carpenters as the act discovered by and promoted by Herb and A&M Records.

Side two has the Barry Manilow track "Miracle" and two selections from some Broadway musical(?). Don't really know - I've never played that side.

Harry

A rarity, on ebay, wonder if my Mom still needs to buy me a present this year!
The 1986 Japan Box Set:

Mine is the West German Christmas Portrait CD. Didn't pay very much for it either and it is EXACTLY how that album should be heard. Considering the CD is 30 years old it's in brilliant condition.

i just bought Greatest Grammy Awards Moments 1970 - 1985 has live "Close to you" from 1971 Grammys. also bridge over troubled waters, etc.

Williams's and Nichol's to every tune offered something in BEGUN and on. Just wanted to comment the collective efforts of Paul, Roger and certainly lil miss are magical YOUR NAVY PRESENTS deserves tlc and a forthcoming release....Well? Richard teach your children the delicate art form necessitated to fortify Prince Colin to at the very lease rule the catalog at his most informed and determined ability.Therein he can fortify fortify CarpenterS future release and uphold the impeccable production quality standards. CarpenterS are hotta all the time round these parts!

Thoughts Mr. Colin Carpenter?

jeff

I also believe that Colin will be he keeper of the Carpenters legacy. Call it a haunch, or the fact that he is the only one who has expressed on social media publicly his admiration for Carpenters, Richard Carpenter and Karen Carpenter. He better hold on tight to the keys to the vault!

This is an interesting collection that I saw listed on www.tokyomusicjapan.com. It's a rare Japanese 18 track promo-only CD from 1989 and has the distinction of opening with not one, but two KC solo tracks - 'If I Had You' and 'Lovelines'. I wonder if it was released to promote anything? It looks suspiciously like the 1989 'Anthology' cover but that didn't feature any solo tracks.

DSP58m.JPG

1989 'Anthology' cover

anthology.jpg

Yes, I saw this before a while ago and I think I asked Harry about this in private message. This special collection edition I believe was for DJ's because this was released on Pony Canon/A&M back in 1989 which was about the same time as Lovelines being released. I think it's rare in that you don't see it much on the market although there is one on ebay now for $99.00, there is nothing rare on the material on this set.

Yes, I saw this before a while ago and I think I asked Harry about this in private message. This special collection edition I believe was for DJ's because this was released on Pony Canon/A&M back in 1989 which was about the same time as Lovelines being released. I think it's rare in that you don't see it much on the market although there is one on ebay now for $99.00, there is nothing rare on the material on this set.

Thanks Chris, makes sense it was released on the back of 'Lovelines' - the first five tracks are from that album.

I have a complete set of fan club newsletters and a Carpenters key chain. That's about it. I should list them on Ebay...probably not. I have the record of the month posters for "A Kind of Hush" and "Passage" from the Columbia Record Club.

35kikrd.jpg

Finally got mine! If any of you sold this on eBay recently, thank you. I love this and have worn it already. Anyone else who has one ever use Brasso or any other brass cleaner on it? I am worried the black shading will get damaged. Also, it looks better in person than the photo, so I was happy about that. The lighting made it look worse than it is.

For me, acquiring all of the albums on vinyl was a treasure as a "new" fan. I proudly own a good part of the 45s (not much after 1976 I'm afraid, at least not now) and all of the studio/live albums. Out of all of them, my copy of CLOSE TO YOU is most prized. I'd have to say my LIVE IN JAPAN with the kimonos poster and my pristine copy of OFFERING are very close seconds. In terms of items, my autographed Horizon tour program is far and away most valuable to me. I never went to the concert from which this program hails, but it feels like I could've been there. It's ethereal holding something autographed so long ago by these musicians I love so much. I get excited especially when I realize it's got Karen Carpenter's signature on it!

If I had no limitation, I'd love to have some of the collections that you lovely people do. Test pressings, magazine clippings, promo items, fan club newsletters/goodies....oooohhh...
Can't be too hard on myself though, I've only just begun. Next treasure will be brought to me by Mr. Postman (thanks Jeff!!). I guess the madness has to start somewhere, huh? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom