Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just a quick poll to find out what everyone's favorite Brasil '66 album is. (Nope, no Brasil '77 this time around!) If you want to expand on your votes, feel free to reply. (Remember, we only need to agree to disagree! :) ) Compilations don't count--we're only tabulating original albums at this point.

This poll is for favorite Brasil '66 album...which could be different from what you feel is the best or the most influential album (which we'll save for another poll).

-= N =-

My vote went for FOOL ON THE HILL. I know my compatriots here don't care much for Dave Grusin's work with Sergio Mendes, but I happen to like it a great deal. It's a tough choice between LOOK AROUND and FOOL ON THE HILL for me, but I gave the edge to FOOL with the strength of it's Brazilian influences and great Edu Lobo songs. And I still love Sergio's treatments of the two pop covers of "Fool On The Hill" and "Scarborough Fair." I say it's a tough choice because I think "Like A Lover" from LOOK AROUND just might be my favorite Brasil '66 song with "Festa" from FOOL coming in a close second.

Harry
...getting ready to go home and packing FOOL ON THE HILL for listening, online...

Fool is about dead even with Look Around. I think if it weren't for Lani's two vocals on Look Around, it would have ranked a lot lower. Fool favorites are "Festa," "Casa Forte" and "Lapinha". This one may have been #1 if it weren't for the dirge-like "When Summer Turns To Snow." (Can't bring myself to like that song or Sergio's singing. :confused: )

-= N =-

This is an impossible choice for me, as there's at least something about every original B66 disc I love. My two favorites have always been Fool and Crystal, though I give the edge to Fool. Has anyone else noticed the strangely muted mastering of Crystal--it was the first thing I noticed, even as a kid, when the LP first came out. Crystal just did not have the clear sound of its predecessors, despite its title! OTOH, Crystal continues the great pop/Brasil combo that Fool did so well. I'm with Harry--I actually love Grusin's arrangements, as over the top as they are (Crystal's title tune, for example) from time to time.

I went with Fool as well, but was debating Look Around obviously one of the best. If you had the whole A&M canon there ('77, solo, '86 etc) It would've been a LOT easier to pick: Primal Roots.

--Mr Bill

I voted for Crystal Illusions because it is quiet compared to its senior albums. Look Around came close but I really like "Viola", "You Stepped Out of a Dream", "Crystal Illusions", and of course "Pretty World". Joe, who remembers the interesting conversation we had when Crystal Illusions was AOTW...

This is a really tough call for me. In my foolish youth three years ago, before A&M Corner, I would have picked STILLNESS hands down. It was the first Sergio Mendes album I heard, and several of its songs are among my all time favorites, Mendes or otherwise.

Before the Corner came along, I had sort of gone moldy in my appreciation of Mendes music. I still bought every new album that came along, but never had really given the older stuff much listening. I had FOOL, CRYSTAL and YE-ME-LE on album, and three copies of STILLNESS. I had bought the earlier ones on 8 track, but they didn't really keep my interest...until I got into the Corner and started discovering the more subtle things in the music.

So which is my favorite now? I would have to almost flip a coin between FOOL ON THE HILL, LOOK AROUND and STILLNESS. They are all completely different animals. However, I think I would have to vote for STILLNESS, because all of the other albums include at least one song I don't like, whereas on STILLNESS there's not a single track I would want to leave off the album. So I'll be the odd man out here (so far, at least) and vote for STILLNESS.

It would be a lot easier to pick my least favorite album out of this bunch...it's YE-ME-LE, but even on that one, there are great songs sprinkled throughout.

This is my first time on this web site. I had the great pleasure to see the wonderful Mr. Mendes and his talented group of singers and musicians three times in concert.

I saw the vivacious Gracinha (Mrs. Sergio Mendes) perform up close in concert at the Schaffer Music Festival at the Wohltman Skating Rink in Central Park back in the early 1970's. I particularly enjoyed her rendition of "Viramundo" with Oscar Castro Nieves on electric guitar and the great Claudio Slon on drums.

In college, I saw the phenomenal Lani Hall and the sultry Karen Phillip team up on "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "You Stepped Out Of A Dream."

My choice for the best Brazil 66' album is definitely "Crystal Illusions" because it features the consummate vocal talents of my favorite Brazil 66' singer, the lovely and vocally-gifted Lani Hall.

PS Does anyone know if there is a live album available of Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66', 77' or 2000 in concert?

Hi Ken, welcome. I would imagine that with your handle you're from New Jersey, a neighboring state to mine, Pennsylvania.

Brasil '66 has one live release, the famous LIVE AT EXPO '70. It was recorded at the Theatre Expo in Japan on April 5th, 1970, features Lani and Karen on vocals, and was released on LP in Japan, the UK, and Australia, as far as we know. It wasn't released here in the States, though, but you can usually find a copy selling on eBay about every other week. Some sell really high, others go more reasonably, but it's worth seeking out.

Brasil '77 had at least 3 live releases, mostly in Japan. The first was called IN CONCERT, released on A&M in Japan and the UK. It features Gracinha and Geri Stevens and is from the PRIMAL ROOTS era in 1973, just before Sergio & Co. left A&M for Bell. The album was recorded at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, is a bit tougher to find, but again worth seeking out.

Up next is CARNIVAL: LIVE IN JAPAN. I don't have an original on this one, so I'm going on the spoken evidence in the concert to pinpoint the time. Sergio mentions "Love Music" from their "new" album, so this one must be from just after the LOVE MUSIC LP was released. Vocals are handled by Bonnie Bowden and Gracinha. I believe this one was only ever released in Japan.

The last one I know about was called GOLD DISC. Again, I only have a recording of it, but it sounds much like its predecessor, and I believe originates from Japan. It contains songs from LOVE MUSIC in the mix, but also includes a medley of George Harrison's "Something" paired with "Daytripper" which I don't recall ever showing up on another album. Again, vocals are by Gracinha and Bonnie Bowden.

Harry
NP: Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77, GOLD DISC

Another vote for STILLNESS. It's B'66's most 'complete' album - it seems to have been put together with exceptional care and sensitivity. In contrast to the increasingly polished work that preceeded it, STILLNESS has a haunting and refresingly informal sound to it, and when the strings do make an appearance, they are added gingerly (as in Lost In Paradise ). The funny thing about STILLNESS is that although it offers up a tasty dim sum platter of late-sixties music - folk, protest songs and psychadelia - it still matters to sound (to my ears at least) totally fresh and contemporary. Timeless, actually. 'Celebration of the Sunrise' is one of Sergio's most beautiful instrumental tracks, and every singer shines - Lani is at her most plaintive in the title track, Karen makes 'For What It's Worth' something harrowing (her version is the definitive one, IMHO) and Gracinha breaks out the incense and magic mushrooms for 'Lost In Paradise'! And from LOOK AROUND on, Sergio always included an obligatory 'heavy' ballad - which always seemed like a lump of lead plunked in, stopping the album in its tracks. 'Sometimes in Winter' is the first one that worked, and fit the mood of STILLNESS just right (also, Sergio doesn't overdo the vocals, sharing them with Lani, Karen & Gracinha). Alas, the unbearable 'I Know You' came back on the otherwise flawless follow-up, PAIS TROPICAL, which gave the tantalizing indication that Brasil '77 was on its way to becoming a fiece Afro-Brazilian Funk band - alas, that was not to be..

Harry, unless my ears deceive me, there's actually only ONE Japanese live recording, which was released under a number of different titles, and in a number of different (sometimes heavily edited) versions. The "full" concert (which I believe you're referring to as Gold Disc) I have on a double LP which simply says Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77, though inside the gatefold there's a little logo that says Golden Double. It was recorded on the 7th and 15th of April, 1973 at Osaka Festival Hall. "Carnival" is simply tracks taken from that concert for a single LP issue. I base this on repeated listens--telltale signs, like Sergio's inexplicable fluff on the opening Fm7 chord of "Love Music," etc. I'm pretty sure they're the same. :?:

Right you are Jeff! I hadn't noticed it before simply because I hadn't listened to either disc more than a couple of times, and never in sequential order.

So, that means that there were a total of three live recordings issued by Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 and '77.

Brasil '66 - LIVE AT EXPO '70 (recorded in Japan)
Brasil '77 - IN CONCERT (recorded in Los Angeles at the Greek Theatre)
Brasil '77 - the GOLDEN DOUBLE that Jeff refers to, released under more than one title in differing track lists and lengths (recorded in Japan).

Harry
...corrected, online...

These two recordigs that I listed of Brasil '77 live in Japan, GOLD DISC and CARNIVAL, have some identical tracks and differing tracks.

CARNIVAL:

One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
Going Out Of My Head
Love Music
Wave
Scarborough Fair
Like A Lover
Jogo De Roda/Manha De Carnaval
I Can See Clearly Now
Killing Me Softly With His Song
Pradizer Adeus
Fool On The Hill
Mas Que Nada

GOLD DISC:

Fool On The Hill (duplicated above)
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea (duplicated above)
The Look Of Love/Oye Como Va
Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
Scarborough Fair (duplicated above)
Killing Me Softly With His Song (duplicated above)
Love Music (duplicated above)
Wave (duplicated above)
Going Out Of My Head (duplicated above)
Something/Daytripper
Mas Que Nada (duplicated above)

...meaning that there are only three non-duplicated tracks on this one I have called GOLD DISC. What other tracks are in the full set?

Harry
...feeling that he's missing something, online...

You're not missing very much :wink: --one song, called "Come Over, My Love," which, IIRC, is sung in Japanese (don't have time to check right now, will later).

Rudy said:
Just a quick poll to find out what everyone's favorite Brasil '66 album is. (Nope, no Brasil '77 this time around!) If you want to expand on your votes, feel free to reply. (Remember, we only need to agree to disagree! :) ) Compilations don't count--we're only tabulating original albums at this point.

This poll is for favorite Brasil '66 album...which could be different from what you feel is the best or the most influential album (which we'll save for another poll).

-= N =-
Dear Mendes fans!

My favorite Brasil ’66 album is ‘Fool on the hill’ with second best the ‘Crystal Illussions album’(especially the reportoire choice like ‘You stepped out of a dream’ the oldest song Mendes’ ever recorded; from the 1942 movie, the Ziegfield Follies, penned by Gus Cahn and Herb Nacio Brown) .

When I heard the ‘Song Fool on the hill’ for the first time in July 1969 ( as a boy, 19 years old) during a vacation in the south of Spain (the famous Torremolinos town) in a disco I was totally knocked down by the sound, completely fresh, new and with an intimite power, wonderfull arranged and masterly performed compared to the original Beatles recording.

Thats the way Sergio Mendes was and is famous for, he is the the VERY VERY VERY FIRTS artist in the pop music history who from a musically point of view made the perfectly balanced CROSS-OVER type of music. Thats the sound of Brasil ’66, Brazilian-American music and nothing else, internationally music. As Mendes says: music is an internationally language.

As you noticed, the the reportoire choice of Mendes like the Edu Lobo songs on Fool as Reza, Casa Forte are wonderful and even the song on Crystal Illusions of the wonderful composer / musician Marcos Valle, Viola Enluarda ( one of my favorite Brasil ’66 tunes) are timeless.
The Dave Grusin orchestrations are as always lush and creative, but the highlight for me is Laphina, the Baden Powell penned song with guest vocals by Gracinha Leporace and guest appereance by the legendary Brazilian Bossa Nova pioneer and guitar great Oscar Castro Neves.

From an enigeering point of view: Recorded among others by the legendary Larry Levine - head of A&M studios for some years during the ’70 (he recorded many records for Phil Spector, River deep mountain high by Ike and Tina Turner).Fool was at Wally Heiders recorders and A&M recording studios. Wally Heider by the way, recorded the live album Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’65 at El Matador with a wonderful version of Reza.

regards, Aqua Do Brasil.

Rudy said:
Just a quick poll to find out what everyone's favorite Brasil '66 album is.
For me it's a toss-up between HAP and Equinox...

I'll go with HAP, just for that heavenly trombone part on "Agua De Beber." That solo sends me into orbit every time I listen to the album...

- William

Harry,

Thank you for the information regarding live recordings of Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66. I will check out eBay for available albums.

In lower Manhattan, right across from City Hall on Park Row, there is a wonderful record store named J & R Music. The store has a great collection of many of the A&M artists. In fact, former mayor Rudi Giuliani was often known to run across the street to J & R to get the latest Pavarotti or Domingo CD. Fortunately, the store was relatively undamaged after the horror of 9/11. If you plan on visiting New York, I highly recommend it to you.

By the way, I remember Mr. Mendes telling the concert audience many years ago that all of his musicians were from Brazil, except one of the men, who was from Argentina. I believe that he said it was either Rubens Bassini or the late Claudio Slon. Do you know which band member is/was a countryman of the late Oscar "Ringo" Bonavena?

I hope that Mr. Mendes and his new band will make over here to the East coast. It would be a great thrill to see him and Gracinha perform again in person.

Oh well my favorite Brasil '66 album would have to be "Crystal Illusions" definitley. I loved that CD ever since I got it. Or maybe it's "Stillness"?? I dunno! Because I've never heard it before, but if I did it could bge my favorite Brasil '66 Album. :tongue: But for now....it's still "Crystal Illusions". :D

I voted for EQUINOX, because my favorite SM/B66 song starts it off...to me, CONSTANT RAIN is the song I think of first when I think of B66. I also really like the albums that Dave Grusin was involved with...it's almost like pairing Herb Alpert and Shorty Rogers when you put Grusin and Mendes together-they were a great team.

Dan

Garden State Ken said:
I remember Mr. Mendes telling the concert audience many years ago that all of his musicians were from Brazil, except one of the men, who was from Argentina. I believe that he said it was either Rubens Bassini or the late Claudio Slon.

That would be Claudio. Born November 12, 1943 in Argentina.

- William

Well I thought I was getting a handle on this Brasil '77 live stuff. JMK mentioned above that all of these recordings emanate from the same concert or series of concerts, and that through LP editing, there are different tracks in different orders. Up until now my experience has been with the two mentioned above where I spelled out the track lists. Both of these came to me as CD-Rs, recorded originally by our old friend Jean-Carlo and then through Paula to me. I failed to realize that they WERE from the same set of original recordings, simply because I hadn't played them all that much.

Around the time of this discussion, coincidentally, I'd won an original LP called GOLD DISC from an eBay seller in Japan. I assumed it would be an LP copy of what I listed out above, but no -- it's a bit different. The LP arrived today, and has a track listing of:

Mas Que Nada
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
Wave
Like A Lover
Pradizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)
Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
Scarborough Fair
Fool On The Hill
Something/Daytripper
Going Out Of My Head
The Look Of Love/Oye Como Va
I Can See Clearly Now
Love Music
Killing Me Softly With His Song

As far as I can tell it's missing only "Jogo de Roda/Manha de Carnaval" that appears on the CARNIVAL album and the odd sung-in-Japanese song that JMK mentioned. This album's in a near-mint state, is on CBS/Sony, and has a 1978 copyright date. Like all of the others of these that I've heard, each track fades out on the audience applause and then fades back on for the next track unlike EXPO which was edited to sound more contiguous the way concerts really do sound.

Harry
...with another prize to add to his collection, online...

Late to the party again, but then I'm getting old(er)! Now that I've got the Equinox CD to go along with HAP and Look Around, I can try to pick my No. 1 amongst them, since my favorite iteration of all is the 'original' Brasil 66 (as I've mentioned in the past): IMHO, HAP has "The Joker" (is me) and "Berimbau", where Lani & Janis are awesome and Sergio's superb piano; EQUINOX has "Constant Rain", "For Me" and "Night and Day" and John Pisano's excellent guitar going for it: LOOK AROUND has "Like A Lover", "The Frog" and "So Many Stars". Each subsequent release became more complex and refined from an arrangement standpoint and I think more Pop than Bossa Nova which some may prefer but to me, simpler is better - I've gotta go with EQUINOX, but only if I must pick one.....
As for live performances, I've got a 50 min. tape of Brasil 77 performing in Edmonton, Alberta that was shown on Canadian TV which I taped about 20 years ago, containing the following songs: Mas Que Nada (of course), Upa Neguinho, Pretty World, Going Out of My Head, The Sea is My Soil, I Believe, Like A Lover, 'Sounds of Carnival' percussion number, Fool On the Hill and ending with The Look Of Love.

Interesting that STILLNESS is tied for first in this poll, (as of now, anyway) considering it's the most un-Brasil'66 of all the albums!

No, I think you're the only one that likes it, and you signed up under a couple dozen different names and voted it up! :D :wink: (Is that a chad I see dangling?)

Just kidding. :laugh: I've always found it interesting that different albums press everyone's buttons differently (regardless of artist), and it's always interesting to read everyone's reasons why they do or do not like an album.

The polls are getting a bit stale...time to think up another one. :wink:

-= N =-
...back to programming, and somewhat offline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom